Politics 2017

Wrath of Dagon

While I don't agree with it, I do think they have the right for these protests. Granted I think these protests are just a huge hissy fit and a way to throw a tantrum BUT hell everyone needs to vent.

i don't actually believe these protests were actually designed to DO something other than vent, otherwise sadly either the participants aren't very bright in protesting AND/OR the media on ALL sides just chose to focus in on all the circus acts of venting.

I mean really, time and a place. I'd dare say that the scientist march would get more accomplished for their cause than the women's march for the simple fact of WHO they are mad about for not winning....seriously lol, a wife of a rapist. The hypocrisy has been strong on all sides lol, myself included.

Edited by redneckdevil

It seems that there is only politically correct science for Americans now on

Trump mandates EPA studies, data undergo review by political staff before release

The Trump administration is scrutinizing studies and data published by scientists at the Environmental Protection Agency, while new work is under a "temporary hold" before it can be released.

The communications director for President Donald Trump's transition team at EPA, Doug Ericksen, said Wednesday the review extends to all existing content on the federal agency's website, including details of scientific evidence showing that the Earth's climate is warming and man-made carbon emissions are to blame.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-epa-studies-20170125-story.html

• Like 1

So basically it'll be like Canada under Harper :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

States dont have right to receive degrees of Federal funding and Trump has a right to just take it away? Did you read the link I posted?

What you saying is not what New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman  says

" he said in a statement that Trump lacked the authority to take away funding from cities and states " 

There is a whole section underneath this in the article that clarifies this that I cant paste , please read the link below  so you are familiar with the point.

https://twitter.com/AGSchneiderman/status/824362523529007104/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

The problem with Schneiderman's reasoning is that cities are not acting legally when they shelter illegal alien criminals, they're breaking federal law.

All these variously titled marches make me belly laugh. There's at least 4 years of sand about to be impacted into their various orifices, they better pace themselves. :lol:

Are the scientists going to dress up like pussies too?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

This wall stuff is crazy. Everyone is ok with us dropping a couple billion dollars on a massive construction project that will have a questionable impact on illegal immigration?

It's also weird that people ignore the fact that Obama extended the wall and deported more people than Bush.  Both sides seem to ignore that.

Edited by Hurlshot

This wall stuff is crazy. Everyone is ok with us dropping a couple billion dollars on a massive construction project that will have a questionable impact on illegal immigration?

What would you rather spend that money on? Rather than protecting your noble homeland? On social programs, perhaps? Kill the commie!

To be honest, I'm completely on your side. My hope is it will eventually bring down Trump.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Walls work great : https://www.algemeiner.com/2017/01/19/israel-upgrades-to-security-fence-along-egyptian-border-complete/

“significantly curbed the flow of illegal infiltration into Israel, with only 11 successful attempts to cross the fence throughout 2016.” Obama has already spent several billion taking care of illegal kids and families he refuses to send back, the money can be spent on the fence instead.

It's also weird that people ignore the fact that Obama extended the wall and deported more people than Bush.  Both sides seem to ignore that.

I never heard him extending anything, I don't know where you get that, in any case the current fences are ineffective and have miles long gaps in between, which makes them virtually useless (Edit: except the 34 mile San Diego fence). As far as the record number of deportations, that was a lie because they started counting people turned back at the border, instead of just internal deportations like under Bush, and the last few years they haven't even been doing that much. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Wasting money is our governments specialty. Nobody blinks either when we drop 7B over 10 years supporting other countries breeding programs of questionable impact.

How much is Trump Wall supposed to cost anyway?

Wasting money is our governments specialty. Nobody blinks either when we drop 7B over 10 years supporting other countries breeding programs of questionable impact.

How much is Trump Wall supposed to cost anyway?

Trump says 10 billion, experts say 25-100 billion

• Like 1

Scientists Planning the Next Big Washington March

Last weekend, a massive milieu of women in pink hats descended on Washington, D.C. for the Women’s March. The next big protest being planned for the nation’s capital could involve a sea of lab coats (and likely a few pink hats as well).

A group of researchers have proposed a March for Science. What started as a discussion on Reddit has quickly blossomed into a movement.

Organizers started a private Facebook group and Twitter account on Monday. By Wednesday afternoon, the former boasted more than 300,000 members and the latter had nearly 55,000 followers. A public Facebook page had more than 11,000 likes just five hours after going online. The explosion of support caught organizers off guard, but they’re meeting this weekend to discuss details about the date and full mission statement.

The march would be the latest in a string of actions taken by scientists following Donald Trump’s election and his inauguration as president. His administration has been widely viewed as hostile to science — from the transition period through hearings for his cabinet nominees through silencing key federal science agencies and freezing grants.

“This is not a partisan issue. People from all parts of the political spectrum should be alarmed by these efforts to deny scientific progress,” Caroline Weinberg, a medical researcher who is helping organize the march, said. “Scientific research moves us forward and we should not allow asinine policies to thwart it.”

Researchers have been getting more vocal about the value of science and evidence-based policymaking in recent months. Earth scientists took to the streets in San Francisco last December during the annual American Geophysical Union meeting. Researchers and librarians are also racing to save climate data from federal websites. And more recently, scientists flooded Twitter during Friday’s inauguration with updates about how science impacts everyday people.

The March for Science represents a next step, with a groundswell of support behind it and the potential to dwarf the December San Francisco rally of a few hundred earth science researchers. While details are forthcoming, Weinberg underscored that scientists and science lovers of all disciplines and backgrounds will be welcome.

“Diversity in science, both in the researchers who participate and the topics we are focused on, is a critically neglected area,” she said. “We fully intend to emphasize diversity in both the planning of and mission statement for this march.”

Whatever becomes of the march, it won’t be the first time scientists have turned out to protest what they view as federal policies ungrounded in science. The 2014 People’s Climate March turned out an estimated 310,000 people in New York, including a large number of climate scientists.

Naomi Oreskes, a science historian at Harvard, said that looking further into the past reveals another telling example of scientists organizing.

“It is the scientists who mobilized against the arms race in the late 1950s and 1960s,” she said. “So that tells you how scientists feel now. This is an existential threat.”

science is just another tool of stalinist oppression and in taking away the rights of white men

down with politicized SJW science, go alternative science

fixed

HA! Good Fun!

ps the MIT report on wall building. damn stalinists.

pps keep in mind the mit guys is only talking 'bout the wall itself.  most studies include the necessary integral infrastructure costs such as roads.  the mit folks also did not even attempt to figure in the considerable legal expenses which is gonna result from condemnation o' private property along the border nor having to deal with pesky treaty issues related to water.  converse, am doubting Congress, the folks who is actual gonna pay for this monstrosity o' questionable value, is actual envisioning a 1000 mile concrete and steel wall.  will likely involve considerable fencing improvements rather than trump's envisioned wall. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*snip*

Yes yes, your guy is the greatest, the other guy is the devil. Facts are unimportant.   -_-

http://www.snopes.com/obama-deported-more-people/

Snopes just tries to repeat the Obama lie, but they give themselves away by trying to use facts: "One distinct feature of the record number of deportations is the increasing share of deportations by U.S. Customs and Border Protection after border apprehension. In 2013, 25% of all deportations were carried out by the agency, up from 17% in 2012. Meanwhile, the number of deportations carried out by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which deports people caught both at the border and the interior of the country, fell in 2013 compared with 2012." The greater "deportations" were because they were counting people turned back by the border patrol, which weren't counted before, as I said.

Yes, it's going to cost more than the entire highway budget. Trump always brings his projects in ahead of time and under budget. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Yes, it's going to cost more than the entire highway budget. Trump always brings his projects in ahead of time and under budget.
Is that why he went bankrupt?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Yes, it's going to cost more than the entire highway budget. Trump always brings his projects in ahead of time and under budget.

He will hire cheap Mexican labor and uses even cheaper materials from China like he has done in past ;)

This figure is relatively  accurate WOD, you better prepare yourself 

Estimated cost $10 billion and some people predict it will double to $20 billion 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

$10 billion is what was left under White House seat cushions after Obama left. Anyway, whatever the cost (I estimate $4-10 billion) it will be over several years. Edit: Also having to patrol a wall instead of open space will greatly save on man power requirements, so it'll actually save a lot of money in the long term. We're not even talking about all the free medical care, education, etc illegal aliens get, or the tens of billions of dollars they send out of the country every year.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

$10 billion is what was left under White House seat cushions after Obama left. Anyway, whatever the cost (I estimate $4-10 billion) it will be over several years. Edit: Also having to patrol a wall instead of open space will greatly save on man power requirements, so it'll actually save a lot of money in the long term. We're not even talking about all the free medical care, education, etc illegal aliens get, or the tens of billions of dollars they send out of the country every year.

Also its not  going to be a solid wall of concrete, there will be " virtual parts of the wall " but things like drones, satellites, infrared, different barriers  and increased patrols will protect these parts of the wall 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Solid wall doesn't make much sense, it should be something like the San Diego or the Israeli fence with sensors I just linked to. It's known what works, in spite of what the naysayers always claim. Where the area is too remote or rugged to justify a fence, they can put stationary balloons that see 20 miles each way. Speaking of building: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/25/elon-musk-the-boring-company-tunnels/97030778/

Some of his companies went bankrupt. He's now the most successful person in the world, both a billionaire and a president. If you're afraid to fail, you'll never succeed.

Brilliant satire. Right?

Wonder what effect this will have on wildlife, though I doubt any of you will care that much. :p

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Trump gamed the system well. I'm not mad. I do get upset when people praise rich people for doing the things they criticize poor people for though but now I'm getting off topic

Edit- 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21