Already seeing the facebook crackdown on "fake" news. This is kind of scary, but this might be their death in the end. Their stock might drop like twitters given time and more of this nonsense. Some of the sources are no less credible than CNN has been this season.

I haven't heard about this before. Is this just part of the updated FB "algorithm" or has it been reported anywhere?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Already seeing the facebook crackdown on "fake" news. This is kind of scary, but this might be their death in the end. Their stock might drop like twitters given time and more of this nonsense. Some of the sources are no less credible than CNN has been this season.

I haven't heard about this before. Is this just part of the updated FB "algorithm" or has it been reported anywhere?

It was reported all over the place a couple of days ago. TL; DR: A bunch of 'fake' news sites were/ are going to be removed from FB and Google's affiliate advertising programs; what 'fake news' actually means is to be decided by FB/ Google. And there are currently a plethora of articles about how 'fake' news performed better than 'real' news on FB too.

Not like fake news isn't a problem, but there's not a little irony in targeting it immediately after an election where the traditional media failed spectacularly and where we can be fairly certain the management at FB/ Google disagreed with the result.

Decline is defined by having less of something than you had yesterday, not whatever one figure is relevant at any given moment.

Then I am not sure how you can possibly characterize the west as in decline.  Growth amongst lower and middle classes is terribly stagnant compared to the wealthy, but compared to the past most people are still seeing an improvement in most areas.  Food, shelter, clothing, health care, etc.  

Which past?

You can take any time period you want.  Food production, medical technology, and housing have all become better over time.  We aren't even a generation removed from asbestos in the walls.  Just look at the infant mortality rates over the last 80 years.  We've had this argument before.  Give me some real evidence that the western world is in decline as a whole, not a handful of tragic examples. 

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/10/09/for-most-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/

http://www.mybudget360.com/cost-of-living-2014-inflation-1950-vs-2014-data-housing-cars-college/

http://prospect.org/article/40-year-slump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2012/07/31/wages-arent-stagnating-theyre-plummeting/

I am not disagreeing that the stagnant wages are a major problem in our society, in fact it is the one thing I mentioned earlier.  But that is one issue among many, and despite decades of it being a problem, people are still driving around in their increasingly safe cars, getting increasingly sophisticated medical care, and eating fairly inexpensive junk food that makes that medical care so important.

Those developments apply worldwide to some extent.

Do you think that maybe sitting in the richest state of the richest country in the world has skewered your viewpoint a bit?

If not, then explain why America elected Trump. If things are good, and both Trump and Sanders pointed out many times that they are not, why was the most criticized, underdog candidate the one to win at the end?

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Two million less than McCain, one million less than Romney, if I recall correctly. Hillary got, what, 10 or 11 million less than Obama in 2008?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

the economy is disintegrating with globalisation+automation

"ever think about how bad we had to **** up to create a world where robots taking all the jobs is somehow a bad thing?"

All the time. It's a very bad thing under a sysyem where a small percentage effectively owns production and distribution with the rest being required to sell labor in some way for survival. Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

the economy is disintegrating with globalisation+automation

"ever think about how bad we had to **** up to create a world where robots taking all the jobs is somehow a bad thing?"

All the time. It's a very bad thing under a sysyem where a small percentage effectively owns production and distribution with the rest being required to sell labor in some way for survival.

KP can i ask you a different question and I was rude earlier so I apologize  :blush:

Are you proud to be a US citizen, this obviously has nothing to do with the other previous  relevant issues you mentioned ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

America elected Trump because nobody showed up to vote for Clinton. He got less votes than McCain or Romney.

Okay, so 60+ million people voted for him because they had nothing better to do that day

That's an ass backwards way of looking at it too. Its much harder to get votes as Donald Trump than it is as McCain or Romney. If they had the kind of media machinery against them that he did they probably get half as much.

Actually if they had that kind of bias against them they'd never get to run a campaign in the first place. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

America elected Trump because nobody showed up to vote for Clinton. He got less votes than McCain or Romney.

To be fair, that's because all the votes hadn't been counted yet when these "low turnout" reports started coming in. In this election cycle, fear and hate trumps love.

bialik-turnout-nov15-1.png?quality=90&st

As of a couple days ago, the count had 58.1% total eligible voter turnout vs. 58.6% in 2012. The projection is that it'll be higher than 2012 once all the votes are officially tallied.

bialik-turnout-nov15-2.png?quality=90&st

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I hope France leaves the EU. Also, the hilarity of Obama and the left warning people of fake news. Lol. They've done nothing but benefit from fake news by mainstream outlets. That scumbag can't get out of office soon enough. 

I am too tired to have this argument ....you win for now :)

But why would you think the EU collapsing is a good thing...can you name just 2 things?

It will add Russia's, China's, Iran's, Saudi Arabia's, India's political, military and economical power. It will European's poorer. It will decrease USA's political and military power.

So if one supports these things, then EU collapsing can be seen as good thing.

But I don't see why France would want to leave EU as all the countries they don't like in the union seem to select governments that are against EU and are on path to leave the union.

And Facebook should ban all fake news regardless of the source, so that journalists would again be forced to be journalists and write real news.

• Like 1

That's interesting, I had not read we have been creeping up towards a stronger showing overall for voters.  I certainly agree that the media has been a total mess throughout this election.  Let me address a few of Boo's points:

Do you think that maybe sitting in the richest state of the richest country in the world has skewered your viewpoint a bit?

I love my state, but if my wife and I taught in most other states, we would be able to afford a house.  I'm not saying there aren't serious issues in the US and the Western world as a whole, I'm saying it is not in decline.  The benefits of the current age still outweigh the bad parts, but that doesn't mean we should not continue to strive for a better world.  

Okay, so 60+ million people voted for him because they had nothing better to do that day

As the candidate of a major political party, that's pretty much how it works.  It was very impressive that he managed to overcome the numerous media and political outlets that tried to throw him under the bus.  But temper that with the fact that Clinton was a terrible candidate who also had a ton of criticism, and the fact that most voters simply fill in the bubbles for R's or D's.  If he won under a 3rd party, I'd be more likely to call it a revolution.  But it's not that.     

Let's not forget that most people that turn out to vote, vote Republican because they are Republicans or vote Democrat because they are Democrats. Who the candidate actually is, policy, economic factors don't have all that much influence on the popular vote. If not for the electoral college's winner takes all model, they influence bugger all.

I'm guessing that if you had an alternate reality where everything else was exactly the same but Trump was the Democratic candidate and Clinton was the Republican nominee, the popular vote results would have been about the same.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Heck, just look at the people Trump is choosing as his cabinet.  There aren't a lot of shockers, they are party establishment guys.  

Also, the current news titans are in a terrible state of transition.  They are losing badly to the new internet age.  It's going to get worse for them.  We should weigh everything we read with a critical eye, because a lot of it is desperation reporting.   

Have all the celebrities who swore to leave done so yet?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I hope France leaves the EU. Also, the hilarity of Obama and the left warning people of fake news. Lol. They've done nothing but benefit from fake news by mainstream outlets. That scumbag can't get out of office soon enough. 

I am too tired to have this argument ....you win for now :)

But why would you think the EU collapsing is a good thing...can you name just 2 things?

It will add Russia's, China's, Iran's, Saudi Arabia's, India's political, military and economical power. It will European's poorer. It will decrease USA's political and military power.

So if one supports these things, then EU collapsing can be seen as good thing.

But I don't see why France would want to leave EU as all the countries they don't like in the union seem to select governments that are against EU and are on path to leave the union.

And Facebook should ban all fake news regardless of the source, so that journalists would again be forced to be journalists and write real news.

Elerond this is another very accurate and well informed post 

Guys  I hope everyone reads this, especially the last 2 paragraphs 

And for the record I doubt France will leave the EU because Le Penn wont come to power 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And for the record I doubt France will leave the EU because Le Penn wont come to power 

Just like Brexit couldn't have happened and Trump couldn't have become president, right?

:lol:  

No one likes a smartass alum

But yes I was going to mention this as its true....but Elerond and I still dont think it will happen. The French election is not the same as the US election or why Brexit happened 

John Milton 

Yeah, it's long but it's also relevant and insightful.

• Like 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Just like Brexit couldn't have happened and Trump couldn't have become president, right?

But yes I was going to mention this as its true....but Elerond and I still dont think it will happen. The French election is not the same as the US election or why Brexit happened 

oh, you are right on one point. it is not the same as it is not bipolar. Le Pen will most likely win, but the question is, can she win with enough marigin, that will give her party autonomous rule, or will she need someone to coalition and thus go on compromise. I can assure you that French have had enough... this migrant crisis is just another thorng and probably a drop to spill the bucket.

I mean, have you been in Calais recently? or worse, have you been in central Paris? it's a proverbial **** hole on the main streets as people are building camps there... the recent terror attacks in last year are also a point that is in favof of Le Pen, worse economic situation of "middle class" similarly to US and UK... the current generation of 30s is the first generation, which is actually less wealthy in terms of purchase power than their parents... and that's a recipe for a disaster... not only that, but also the fact that natives are in demographic slump and there is aging society stretching state's fund to intolerable margins.

• Like 1

oh, you are right on one point. it is not the same as it is not bipolar. Le Pen will most likely win, but the question is, can she win with enough marigin, that will give her party autonomous rule, or will she need someone to coalition and thus go on compromise. I can assure you that French have had enough... this migrant crisis is just another thorng and probably a drop to spill the bucket.

I mean, have you been in Calais recently? or worse, have you been in central Paris? it's a proverbial **** hole on the main streets as people are building camps there... the recent terror attacks in last year are also a point that is in favof of Le Pen, worse economic situation of "middle class" similarly to US and UK... the current generation of 30s is the first generation, which is actually less wealthy in terms of purchase power than their parents... and that's a recipe for a disaster... not only that, but also the fact that natives are in demographic slump and there is aging society stretching state's fund to intolerable margins.

Is it really that bad, it sounds terrible ? That needs to be addressed, what is Le penn going to do in the outcome she does win?

I haven't been to France for about 10 years ?

John Milton 

Is it really that bad, it sounds terrible ? That needs to be addressed, what is Le penn going to do in the outcome she does win?

I haven't been to France for about 10 years ?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-paris-idUSKBN12Z0JR