Hey,

I wanted to quickly expand this thread, but nothing happened. This might seem odd, and here I am to say sorry.

so at the moment my real life is taking me over. People rely on me and I'm not planning on letting them down, so this thread sadly needs to wait.

Now, if anyone feels like adding something, then please do so. Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Whose isn't right now? ;)

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Your real life is Tyranny, right? ;)

In a sense... But sadly an actual tyranny rather than the game ;)

Na, sh!t happens and it can be dealt with. Truth is though I have very little time at the moment :(

Heck, I haven't even bought the game yet... Can to believe that?

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Your real life is Tyranny, right? ;)

In a sense... But sadly an actual tyranny rather than the game ;)

Na, sh!t happens and it can be dealt with. Truth is though I have very little time at the moment :(

Heck, I haven't even bought the game yet... Can to believe that?

Lies. :p

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, that might suck.

So far I've always played a tankadin. Pick up Zealous Endurance (Because 2h Pallegina takes focus) and on really tough fights have Durance toss up armor of faith.

But what I'm reading here is those 2 DR bonuses don't stack? Aw...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new to the forums, and originally introduced myself on another thread where Frog Man was giving me some advice with character builds (I'm sure some of you might've already read my original post perhaps, found over here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95525-tips-tricks-for-character-management-in-poe-without-potentially-revealing-any-spoilers/

You'll notice that I enquired about the potential 'SPOILERS' found throughout this exact thread; is it really a bad idea reading these if one really wants some sound advice on good builds? I'm sure I'll be ok, right? I'm only concerned about story SPOILERS, of which I'm sure these mentioned over here are not of said variety.

I want to start with this thread we're currently conversing on, and then possibly move over to this one for some more advice: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/85492-the-obsidian-boards-build-list-last-modified-25-feb-17/, but, would this be considered useless nowadays: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77465-class-build-strategies-index-outdated/, considering its been labeled as "[Outdated]"?

I'm asking for advice because I'm used to the older variety of CRPGS such as Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, which were based on D&D tabletop rules, while this RPG's system works slightly different, being based on their own system and all that. I kinda miss having the traditional rules where only certain equipment-types could be utilized by certain classes. These new systems allowing everyone to utilize ANYTHING sure gives you a lot of freedom, but with said freedom also comes more opportunity for mistake-making during character building IMO (or at least for me). I feel like the older systems helped guide you along the way with its 'restrictions', whereas the flexibility afforded by these newer ones could help you jeopardize your character-builds if not careful.

So, my final question to all of you then: should I be fine going through this thread without accessing any potential story spoilers?

Thank you,

S3B

The old class build thread predates some major balance updates; it's not going to be very useful for the current game.

There are spoilers in some of the class build threads, mostly about equipment and story talents, though some discussions probably venture off into more central parts of the story.

POE's systems are pretty forgiving with regards to character builds, and you can change most things later for a pretty low cost, so if you're really worried about coming across story spoilers I'd just jump in and try to figure out what you like.

The old class build thread predates some major balance updates; it's not going to be very useful for the current game.

There are spoilers in some of the class build threads, mostly about equipment and story talents, though some discussions probably venture off into more central parts of the story.

POE's systems are pretty forgiving with regards to character builds, and you can change most things later for a pretty low cost, so if you're really worried about coming across story spoilers I'd just jump in and try to figure out what you like.

agreed. POE attribute are not remotely as important as D&D there is very little to no trap builds. Almost anything can work. Most builds under the build forums are min maxed fro POTD so take them with a grain of salt. Min max is not needed at all. also those same build would be just fine with different stats because abilities and equipment and play style are more important than stats. 

Edited by draego

MountainTiger and draego, thanks so much for your responses. I must say, I feel more at ease now and less worried about making stupid mistakes during character builds. I guess I should just jump in and have fun already!

I am aware of this, but I'm not sure about the costs. Is it expensive at the earlier stages of the game, or does it become more affordable later on in the game? Can one easily change one's characters @ affordable prices, multiple times perhaps?

agreed. POE attribute are not remotely as important as D&D there is very little to no trap builds. Almost anything can work. Most builds under the build forums are min maxed fro POTD so take them with a grain of salt. Min max is not needed at all. also those same build would be just fine with different stats because abilities and equipment and play style are more important than stats. 

Understood, I just feel that this is WAY more confusing and tech. than lets say BG1&2. The way some of the stats overlap, per se. I kind of miss the old D&D feel (I honestly found that rule-set easier to grasp, especially if you considered how well the tutorial guided you in BG1), but it's also welcoming to see something new and fresh from this team. I'm just not sure how good I'll be at it though (maybe that's why I'm concerned :yucky: ). Am I D&D at heart?  :lol:

• 6 months later...

Ben,

When you get a chance, you may want to add to the first paragraph, on health & endurance, that there is one FOOD item that will restore modest amounts of health.

Darkest Rauratai Cookies.  "Little chocolate cookies - they've been on my training table since I was a kid."

The basic D. R. Cookie description says +5 to MAX health, but that is misleading.

a) The current health is raised along with the MAX health, so the cookies WILL restore health just like a Potion of Infuse Vital Essence, as long as the characters current health is blow max.

b) The +5 Health is before any class, attribute, etc, modifiers, AFAICT.  Also, it seems to be boosted by current CON, including CON bonuses, including the CON bonus provided by the Cookies themselves. 

So, for example, on my current high level monk, the first cookie consumed boosts current health by 180 points.  Subsequent cookies at the same time further boost health by 41 points apiece.  Not inconsiderable...and Cookies are cheap.  Of course you don't have to tell beginner's all that - just that there is one food that will boost current & max health.

I buy all available Cookies at every location that sells them every time I pass by.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
17 hours ago, Arianna M said:

My apologies if this was already addressed.  How can I get my entire party to stand still ( except my rogue) so she can disarm traps without them running around?

You dont have to have your entire party selected all the time. you can select one or multiple party members at a time to move.

Edited by draego

There's a game option menu that handles auto-pause. You can auto-pause and stop party movement on detection of traps. If you then click on the trap the char with the highest mechanics will go and disarm it.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods