The US Election 2016, Part IV

Rosbjerg

That's not exactly what the proposed law says:

"A bill under consideration in the state Legislature calls to prohibit "any activity unrelated to the actual operation of a motor vehicle in a manner that interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle on a public road or highway." That means no cup of coffee for those sitting in traffic, no munching on that breakfast burrito, no time to groom. (No, the law does not target coffee verbatim.)"

Notice the interference with safe operation part, since you're endangering other people.

Edit: Not exactly election related, but I have to say I'm siding with our ambassador here: http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/08/08/rodrigo-duterte-u-s-ambassador-annoying-homosexual-son-btch/

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

New Jersey says you can't drink coffee in your car. Still think we live in a free country? 

It's a matter of personal freedom to be a liability to everyone around you?

Actually.. that explains a lot about your country come to think of it ;)

Fortune favors the bald.

Well ultimately you have to look after yourself. Life is kind of like war (Naqoyqatsi is an awful film by the way).

Wonder if they'll ban talking next

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

New Jersey says you can't drink coffee in your car. Still think we live in a free country? 

It's kind of the same as the whole vaccines deal.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So here's the actual phrasing of the proposed law: "An operator of a moving motor vehicle shall not engage in any activity unrelated to the actual operation of a motor vehicle in a manner that interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle on a public road or highway."

My first question would be - how do you define "in a manner that interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle"?  In other words if I can talk to my passenger and operate the vehicle safely, but the next person could not, does the rule apply to the lowest skill level (implying that one couldn't talk, listen to a radio, drink, eat, listen to navigational directions from phone or device, etc since all of those things COULD interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle) or does it go by some sort of individual test, and if so what would that test be?

My second question is how are the police supposed to prove that it was eating a taco that caused you to drift out of your lane and not say, tiredness, road hypnosis, or just plain wool gathering on your part.  Or is the assumption if I have a taco wrapper in my car, that it was the taco that distracted me?

My third question is does it mean listening to the radio guarantees that I'm pulled over whether it actually interferes with the safe operation of the vehicle for me or not?  Or does this just become an "add on" penalty to, say, when you get a citation for an accident you were in with no other purpose than to tack on more penalties to those responsible for accidents?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Those questions are valid and I think at least that part of the law should be looked at, at least. Enforcement seems like the biggest issue to me. They do not, however, have anything to do with the whole "encroaching my liberties" argument.

By the way, I've seen claims that about anything you usually do while driving a car has a large negative impact on the driving. Even stuff like talking on a hands off phone,  to people next to you, eating, listen to the radio. In my experience, driving with two bellicose small children sitting in the back of the car, for example, is a recipe for catastrophe.

Heja Sverige!!

A civilized society has no room for freedom :^)

This election sure brings unexpected happenings:

Cpat_1aXEAAFleF.jpg

dad-640x480.png

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

@Pidesco, I'm at work and can't give a full answer but just let me point out that in the US a privately owned vehicle is afforded the same 4th Amendment protections as a home or any other private property. So this law presumes the Sate can tell you what you can and can't do in the privacy of your own property.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Those questions are valid and I think at least that part of the law should be looked at, at least. Enforcement seems like the biggest issue to me. They do not, however, have anything to do with the whole "encroaching my liberties" argument.

By the way, I've seen claims that about anything you usually do while driving a car has a large negative impact on the driving. Even stuff like talking on a hands off phone,  to people next to you, eating, listen to the radio. In my experience, driving with two bellicose small children sitting in the back of the car, for example, is a recipe for catastrophe.

I wasn't really arguing it was regarding liberties (although GD make a good 4th Amendment point, I think), just throwing my $.02 about the thing.  I think there are potentially a number of reasons to dislike such a law, not just any encroachment on liberties.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

@Pidesco, I'm at work and can't give a full answer but just let me point out that in the US a privately owned vehicle is afforded the same 4th Amendment protections as a home or any other private property. So this law presumes the Sate can tell you what you can and can't do in the privacy of your own property.

I understand that, but tit still doesn't mean that a person can do things within their private property that demonstrably endanger other people around them. Of course, whether eating a muffin while driving is a dangerous activity is certainly a contentious question. And obviously, I don't really see how the hell do you even manage to enforce such a law, but what do I know.

I certainly think that if someone drives down a busy highway at 88 mph, while holding a paper cup of scalding coffee with only his teeth, that person should be liable for some sort of prosecution. Reckless endangerment or whatever.

• Like 1

Heja Sverige!!

I just want self driving cars. I should be able to just tell my car where to go so I can focus on important stuff like debating on forums. Holding a steering wheel is for peasants.

Teacher giving up independence, sad

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

When I was a young man I worked as a Drivers Mate for a few months, the driver of said lorry would regularly steer with his voluminous paunch while eating, smoking, drinking, sticking his head out of the window to roar and gesticulate at other drivers etcetera. Surprisingly he had a clean license and not even a point on it.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Amidst all the news of Republicans endorsing Hillary, why *not* throw away your vote on a third party now?

I thought the argument was that a Republican congress would choose Trump if no candidate met the electoral college count neccesary, but with all the Clinton endorsements from Senators and Representatives, seems to me people can go nuts and vote Stein and Johnson.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

in the US a privately owned vehicle is afforded the same 4th Amendment protections as a home or any other private property. So this law presumes the Sate can tell you what you can and can't do in the privacy of your own property.

The state already does- but I agree in principle, I would love for all laws to be recinded, the state abolished and everyone just acting like rational ****ing adults..

Problem is when people can't handle the responsibility of that private property and starts running me over with it, just because they want coffee and can't wait 5 gorram minutes.

I think some encroachment on personal liberties are in order. Especially on actions strongly and adversly affecting others- where you literally can do it anywhere else with no problem.

But of course I fully respect your country's desire to do it differently, I'm just happy they agree with me here. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Amidst all the news of Republicans endorsing Hillary, why *not* throw away your vote on a third party now?

I thought the argument was that a Republican congress would choose Trump if no candidate met the electoral college count neccesary, but with all the Clinton endorsements from Senators and Representatives, seems to me people can go nuts and vote Stein and Johnson.

Perhaps the left/right-paradigm really is a sham and only power matters. The Hillary camp offers a continuation of such power for those "Republicans", while Trump does not. But what do i know.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Perhaps the left/right-paradigm really is a sham and only power matters. The Hillary camp offers a continuation of such power for those "Republicans", while Trump does not. But what do i know.

Yes but Trump winning means we actually need to immortalize his stupid ****ing haircut in the Hall of Presidents, and we simply can't have that. Better to vote Stein or Johnson.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Only true if your car is parked.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I just want self driving cars. I should be able to just tell my car where to go so I can focus on important stuff like debating on forums. Holding a steering wheel is for peasants.

Teacher giving up independence, sad

This is stupid. The independence to sit in traffic? To drive in a straight line on a freeway? Oh noes, my liberty!

I love when people try to justify doing menial tasks by calling it independence. I have a dishwasher in my house too, I really give up the freedom to hand wash everything.