Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

But Superman who was already practically dying from even holding that spear did a fine job with whatever strength he had left?

Because Wonder Woman is holding Doomsday with her Golden Lasso while Batman is weakening him.  Which Superman can't do as he's weakened by kryptonite.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wait, what, a ridiculous Jesus metaphor ... isn't that redundant. I read and watch comic book stuff precisely to escape metaphors and Jesus. 

I get the dislike for BvS ... Perry White's dialogue and all of Eisenberg's Luthor make me cringe, plus a host of other moments ... but I've found some good in the movie and I'm clinging to her sword and shield, rather than taking the subjectively bad bits to heart. 

Not really a movie, but sorta. All Good Things, the two-hour TNG series finale presented in uninterrupted HD. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm watching Terminator Genisys as we speak on Amazon Prime.

In a monster movie, which the Terminator movies tend to be, if the big scary monster is beat up and killed about 5 minutes after it's introduced, it sort of hurts the tension moving forward. The lack of tension sort of hurts the action, too. So I'm not scared, excited, and it's not even interesting time travel. Which might bother me the worst, because the idea of changes appearing in the Terminator cycle is actually a cool concept. But it's more of an excuse for their nonsense than anything else.

And yeah, I'm not feeling Clarke's performance here.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

we did watch BvS a couple weeks ago and we thought it were ok.  it sure as heck weren't the craptacular p00pfest we were expecting based on feedback from these boards.  with a certain amount o' trepidation, we viewed the extended cut and it ain't as if we were staring at our watch praying for the movie to end.  any superhero movie is gonna have difficulty standing up to scrutiny when the plot is dissected.  for chrissakes, batman is an utter ridiculous character when viewed w/o the benefit o' the entire dc universe mythology to give context. shortcomings we would never accept in other genres o' film get little more than a momentary eye-roll from Gromnir when we watching a superhero flick.  nevertheless, in spite o' numerous shortcomings, the movie were watchable and enjoyable.

on the downside, lex luthor's BvS machinations were beyond the pale for us and while lex's The Plan and eisenberg's manic portrayal o' the character did hurt the movie, we nevertheless enjoyed the film. eisenberg watched 12 monkeys too many times to prep for the film?  did a good impersonation o' jeffrey goines

or perhaps beetlejuice. 

we were pleasant surprised with ben affleck's performance, though a murderous and easily manipulated batman struck us as a curious choice for the writers and director to be making.  batman's real superpower in the comics and previous films is that he is the ultimate chess master.  he may not be the smartest guy in the dc universe, but he is typical two or three moves ahead o' any opponent.  by comparison, BvS batman were a violent checker player.  affleck managed to sell us on his darker and dumber batman. 

and yeah, wonder woman were complete unnecessary in BvS, but am understanding how her inclusion were meant to promote her own upcoming movie.  gadot weren't terrible in her extreme limited screen time, even if we still got serious reservations 'bout her casting and her seeming lack o' dedication to the role. honest, how tough is it to add a few pounds o' quality muscle?  and if it were too tough for her to do so, why cast a waif supermodel for the role?  silliness. 

superman has always been one our least favorite superheroes, and henry cavill's wooden portrayal did little to make us change our mind 'bout the character.  *shrug* emo superman's raison d'être were to make batman seems better by comparison? dunno. as much as we dislike superman as a character, we nevertheless enjoyed the film.

again, we saw blu-ray extended cut o' BvS, which were +3 hours, and we weren't bored. how bad could the movie be to keep us engaged that long?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Eh. I've watched the WW trailer a bunch of times and Gadot is awesome as the character. Even this sexist rapist boypig who loathed GB 2016 is looking forward to the WW movie. Even more than the JL one sinse in that one she'll be on screen for 10 minutes probably. L0L

Also, of course BvS  is better than what the yahoos here think. Thes epeople actually believe GB is better than MOS, BvS, and SS. I mean SERIOUSLY.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wonder Woman does look pretty cool. I wish she would have done more interesting stuff in BvS but her standalone seems interesting. I like the setting and Gadot carries herself convincingly.

My only concern with WWs setting is Steve Trevor crashed his plane on Themyscera, WW1 wasn't exactly known for its long range fighter planes was it?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wonder Woman does look pretty cool. I wish she would have done more interesting stuff in BvS but her standalone seems interesting. I like the setting and Gadot carries herself convincingly.

My only concern with WWs setting is Steve Trevor crashed his plane on Themyscera, WW1 wasn't exactly known for its long range fighter planes was it?

Depends on the planes involve, I think. Doing some poking around it seems that many of the planes in 1917 were ranging somewhere between 600 km to 800-900 km.  In 1918, though, some of the sea boats (like the Curtis NC) could do ~2,000 km.  That'd be a little more than that of a P-51 Mustang (~1300 km), a very common US fighter plane in WWII.   Of course using the Curtis would move Trevor from the Army Air-Corps to the Navy...

Anyhow Themyscira never had a definitive location in the DCU (although it was in the Pacific in the Golden Age and IIRC somewhere between Greece and Turkey post-crisis before being granted the ability to move after its sacking and retreat from Man's World) so they could probably make it work somehow.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Jason Bourne is.. Jason Bourne.

I mean, it's entertaining as usual, but its pretty much the same thing all over again, :)

Bourne off the grid, he gets pulled back on, the CIA assume he's up to something, cue chase sequences, a death to give him motivation, some corruption, shakey cam, fight sequences, Bourne skills, manipulations, and a few minor twists and turns before the reveal.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Ghostbusters

Yikes, that was a stinker. I even wanted to like it but about 3/4 of the way through I looked over at my wife and said "this is ass", to which she nodded agreement.

It's probably because you are sexist.

No, it's the twitter trolls, they retroactively made the movie bad. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

" merchandising, product tie-ins, games, et cetera. "

I like thow Sony et al are so desperate to make GB come across as a smash hit so they use spin like this. I mean, the game has its own budget to make up and the game I believe was even more of a disaster than the movie (even though it doesn't have an all female cast lol).

I also find it funny that sexists made GTB bomb and get poor trailer reviews... yet WW's trailers has gotten LOTS OF LOVE from men. Not to mention SS making more money than GB largely on the basis of their  white oman and black man leads. :p Then there is Bad Moms which has gotten some good praise too and the sexists seem to leave that all women cast alone.

IMAGINE THAT. People like movies they believe are actually good no matter the gender of the lead. LMAO

P.S. WW is my most anticipated movie for next year at this time.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There was aleady an animated movie and an animated TV show in tge works before the new film came out. It seems a stretch to me to tie the existence if the animated films as any sort of comment pro or con in relation to the live action film.

All this talk of trolls ruining Ghostbusters 3 because of prejudices, real or imagined, why isn't the same being said of Suicide Squad which is far more diverse a cast? Are the reviewers being called sexist, racist, elitist snobs who hate diversity?

Ha, only joking, stir up a little controversy and whatnot.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I get to see one movie today, and I can't decide between Suicide Squad and Jason Bourne.

I saw Jason Bourne and can't recommend it. But at the same time the Suicide Squad reviews have me afraid it's bad, where Bourne was just boring.

Reviews don't matter as long as the movie is popular, Ghostbusters had the trailer shot down, everyone hated it and that was pretty fatal for its earning potential. In a fit of brilliant inspiration they blamed the twitter trolls and at least something was salvaged from the mess.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

All this talk of trolls ruining Ghostbusters 3 because of prejudices, real or imagined, why isn't the same being said of Suicide Squad which is far more diverse a cast? Are the reviewers being called sexist, racist, elitist snobs who hate diversity?

Actually, the film is being called sexist by some reviewers. Both Harley Quinn and the Enchantress are oversexualized, don't you know?

Reviews don't matter as long as the movie is popular, Ghostbusters had the trailer shot down, everyone hated it and that was pretty fatal for its earning potential. In a fit of brilliant inspiration they blamed the twitter trolls and at least something was salvaged from the mess.

Ghostbusters was still better than Jason Bourne.

Went with Suicide Squad.  I enjoyed it, it was at its best when it wasn't taking itself too seriously.  Harley Quinn and the prison guard were my favorite, but it was really a stellar cast except for Jared Leto.

Really, it's tough to step into the shoes after Heath Ledger, and I guess they did their best to really try and make it seem like a totally different character to avoid comparisons.  But he was a mess and his story made no real sense in the grand scheme of things.  Didn't help that his sidekick was sooooo much more engaging on screen.

But it was a fun ride.  I only vaguely knew a few of the characters, so that may have helped too.

Actually, the film is being called sexist by some reviewers. Both Harley Quinn and the Enchantress are oversexualized, don't you know?

It's also been called sexist because of something Slipknot does, and racist because El Diablo is the only Hispanic male and he runs a gang. And racist due to the use if BET.

Who's Bet?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Apparently we are getting another Jack Reacher movie.  I enjoyed the first one, and it even convinced me to read a few of the books, so I'm happy.  Bit surprised though, I know it wasn't a huge hit, but good news for me.