Blame Social Justice Warriors for Donald Trump

Valsuelm

What? I changed my signature from a bunch of quotes of dumb things Bruce has said to one of my favorite quotes. Isn't that...better? Unless you think the quote itself is related to Bruce...that's a pretty big stretch, though.

Doesn't share my thought patterns? Well, let's see here...I am generally - generally! - able to make friends with both liberals and conservatives, theists and nontheists, people who are impulsive, people who are compulsive, people who are neither, people who are from my country, people who are not, people who share my favorite football team and people who "inexplicably" do not...even though I obviously can't share all of these traits myself...so uh, I guess I would need more information on the individual in particular before I could commit to an answer. ;)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Tis a pity then that BVC triggers you beyond the capability for rational thought. :yes:

Well, I wouldn't go that far. Triggers me beyond the capability for HAPPY thoughts, yes. ...But hey, if happiness is your rationality, then I can see that. I don't agree, but I can see it. See? Different thought patterns aren't the problem here. :biggrin:

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

What? I changed my signature from a bunch of quotes of dumb things Bruce has said to one of my favorite quotes. Isn't that...better? Unless you think the quote itself is related to Bruce...that's a pretty big stretch, though.

Doesn't share my thought patterns? Well, let's see here...I am generally - generally! - able to make friends with both liberals and conservatives, theists and nontheists, people who are impulsive, people who are compulsive, people who are neither, people who are from my country, people who are not, people who share my favorite football team and people who "inexplicably" do not...even though I obviously can't share all of these traits myself...so uh, I guess I would need more information on the individual in particular before I could commit to an answer. ;)

Not sure about 'Friends' but can get along with almost anyone as well, but RL is place where you can easily avoid conversation on subjects you heavily oppose, not that easy on forum

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Of course not, only when they disagree with you. :)

But...I already said I was the one replying to Bruce most of the time in "serious discussion" threads over the past couple of years. Wouldn't that be me disagreeing with him if that were the problem? :unsure:

(e): Also, nice emoticon stealth-edit.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah, when I quoted you, it gave me the latest updated version of the post instead of what I actually had visible. Guess I forgot to add that part back.

Walk me back from the ledge? I literally totally and unreservedly agreed with 213374U's points, as much as I didn't want to. You know, these last few posts of yours have made me think you didn't even read the, and I quote, "[...]multi-page whining threads" you mentioned earlier. I mean, I can't imagine any possible reason why you wouldn't... o:) ...but if you're gonna bother to mildly trash talk me, at least do it right.  :lol: 

...Quality something something Taylor Swift popularity something something...

True story: I consider 1989 to be the best pop album in over 20 years. So do many others who aren't the stereotypical teeny bopper fan.. ;)

When all's said and done I much prefer users exercising their discretion than moderators exercising their power.

This is a very good post, I support the last line emphatically

My experience as a moderator is that there are some users who have no discretion.

My experience as a moderator is that while those folks exist, they are actually quite rare on most forums (4chan, reddit, youtube, et al being notable high profile exceptions). I personally have not seen such on WoT. Also, my response as a moderator to all this would be something along the lines of what Meshuggar posted here, though probably a bit more blunt in it's delivery.

If it makes you feel better Bart, Volo gets under my skin pretty regularly.  We all have our kryptonite.

Volourn actually doesn't bother me that much, because he's more just the inflammatory type. I'm still not a big fan of people just being able to call each other Nazis at the drop of a hat...but these are the ObSSidian forums, so I guess it's the poison you choose to drink... :biggrin:

If it makes you feel better Bart, Volo gets under my skin pretty regularly.  We all have our kryptonite.

Volourn actually doesn't bother me that much, because he's more just the inflammatory type. I'm still not a big fan of people just being able to call each other Nazis at the drop of a hat...but these are the ObSSidian forums, so I guess it's the poison you choose to drink... :biggrin:

Poison or antidote of truth? YOU DECIDE! xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Welcome to the dark side... c050.gif

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I have Bruce in ignore list as well...

I wonder how many others have him on ignore. I would wager he wins the 'most ignored award' on Obsidian forums (at least in recent times).

Maybe mods can uncover this information to us? would be interesting :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the dark side... c050.gif

That afro kinda just looks like a glitch on here...

Edited by Bartimaeus

Walk me back from the ledge?

You know, the ones that have taken the time to politely explain things to you and tried to sooth the hurt in your posterior.

"[...]multi-page whining threads" you mentioned earlier. I mean, I can't imagine any possible reason why you wouldn't... o:) ...but if you're gonna bother to mildly trash talk me, at least do it right.  :lol:

You may have caught me out here as I do occasionally glaze over when I feel a conversation circling the drain. Does agreeing with l33t's points mean you were not whining over multiple pages and trying to bully BVC with sig quotes?

Of course I was 'whining' over multiple pages, and of course I had Bruce quotes in my signature that, yes, I suppose were rather bullying. I never really thought of it as bullying, but I suppose it fits the bill well enough. I never disagreed with those points. I disagreed with your notion that I was totally unreceptive to other people's counterarguments on the matter: "but I guess 'cause triggered' will rule the day".

Edited by Bartimaeus

Of course I was 'whining' over multiple pages, and of course I had Bruce quotes in my signature that, yes, I suppose were rather bullying. I never really thought of it as bullying, but I suppose it fits the bill well enough. I never disagreed with those points. I disagreed with your notion that I was totally unreceptive to other people's counterarguments on the matter: "but I guess 'cause triggered' will rule the day".

K. But my point is that while you apparently agree with all the points, you are literally, physically unable to remain civil. Even to the detriment of the forum. Which you admitted yourself. And then complained about.

Honestly you cant see that this is a little out there? I don't know if youre having a bad day or something but I do sincerely hope you find a happy middle ground. :thumbsup:

When all's said and done I much prefer users exercising their discretion than moderators exercising their power.

This is a very good post, I support the last line emphatically

My experience as a moderator is that there are some users who have no discretion.

My experience as a moderator is that while those folks exist, they are actually quite rare on most forums (4chan, reddit, youtube, et al being notable high profile exceptions). I personally have not seen such on WoT. Also, my response as a moderator to all this would be something along the lines of what Meshuggar posted here, though probably a bit more blunt in it's delivery.

WOT is generally a lot better place than WWOT/Ye Olde was on BIS (but in BIS's favor, it had the benefit of having two forums so the happy spamming was kept separate from the serious & po-faced discussions so it was probably easier to police).

Mind you my response as a moderator would have problem been very similar to what I wrote - report posts that you think are trolling or derailing threads if you feel that strongly about it.  The moderators aren't always going to assume because a thread drifts off topic or becomes dominated by a popular figure that it isn't part of the natural evolution of a thread - which will always involve topic drift. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

K. But my point is that while you apparently agree with all the points, you are literally, physically unable to remain civil. Even to the detriment of the forum. Which you admitted yourself. And then complained about.

Honestly you cant see that this is a little out there? I don't know if youre having a bad day or something but I do sincerely hope you find a happy middle ground. :thumbsup:

Well, of course: my lack of civility was occurring before I read those points. :biggrin: It's a brand new day, Gfted, full of broadened insight and increased self-control! :yes:

Heh, is what I WOULD say if I was actually capable of becoming a better person - fat chance of that, eh? But real talk, it was really nice not reading any of his posts in this topic and others over the past few days, so I'm going to try reaally hard to keep doing that*. You ratfinks can all have him to yourselves - enjoy. ;)

*And, well, if that doesn't work and it continues to be a problem, I presume I will be having a private discussion with moderation on "what Bart shouldn't do on the Obsidian forums" one of these days sooner or later...

Edited by Bartimaeus

You should see all the posts i spend significant time writing were I pedantically point out errors, attack fatuous logic and tell people off...which I then delete before posting them.  I understand the need to vent.  I vent all the time.  I just don't end up posting the vent for everyone to see.

If you find yourself unable to not respond to another poster, I recommend really giving them what-for then hitting "cancel". Works great - there are people who think I'm level-headed enough to be a mod (thanks Malcador!).

:)

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

@ Bart

Sadly the Eternal September and the AOL invasion is now long in the past. The days of being able to hop on a BBS or the Interwebs and find intelligent conversation almost everywhere you went are so long gone that many here reading this never experienced those halcyon days of yore, nor even know to what I'm referring without perhaps 'googling' it.

I feel you on the wanting to have serious discussions without the children or unintelligents constantly making noise. It's a complaint I have as well, however it's not one that really can or should be addressed by mods on a forum such as this. Perhaps on a forum where it's explicitly stated that the purpose of the forum is to have intelligent conversation, but that place is not here.

There are some people worth engaging here, despite the nonsense (I think you know this). In general, it's best to just ignore the others. ie: I stopped responding to X a few pages back as he's seemingly incapable of an honest conversation. I have A and B on ignore as I've found them to both be insane and very rarely offer anything of quality to a conversation. I rarely response to Y (who thankfully hasn't yet posted in this thread) because all they spout is unintelligent and uninformed vitriol. But I do look forward to what C, D, and E have to say, because even though I may often disagree with them, they almost always have an informed perspective. Echo chambers are not my thing, and those who prefer them disgust me.

And yes, it does suck that the conversation can't be taken to a higher level due to some others here. But, go have those conversations outside this forum. I do. The best we can probably accomplish here is to /shoo and ignore the rabble (with varying degrees of success), as well as carry some conversations into the private realm where those who can't handle a subject for whatever reason are not (something I've done with a few here).

Imagine the forum as a neighborhood block party of sorts. You've got a few adults (maybe even a kid or two) capable of intelligent conversation, who are almost invariably outnumbered by some drunks wandering around, total idiots yabbering about nonsense, thin skinned wussies who go out of their way to be offended, kids running around screaming, some fuddy duddies yelling at the kids to get off their lawn, etc. Just converse with those you wish to. Gently /shoo or ignore the others. Don't call the cops (mods in this case) unless you see someone getting murdered, and even then think at least thrice about it because the result of calling them might be worse than not.

Now that almost everyone in here is armchair moderating I might as well join.

I have a question for the moderators, does this forum have a thread splitting function?

Since we already had Amentep doing his old man routine and talked about ye old age, back when I was a moderator on the Interplay board we had this nifty little tool that would solve a problem with THIS thread as well as Barti's general problem with him thinking that Bruce derails discussions whenever he posts.

Let me elaborate a little, back on Interplay we had two kinds of moderators. Those who would simply go and lock a thread when it drifted off-topic and those who actually bothered to split and merge threads where it was appropriate. I always disliked it when a thread that spawned an interesting discussion was locked with the comment "if you want to talk about this, make a new thread" and thought it was unfair to the original thread starters that often due to no fault of their own the threads they made got killed. Those moderators where well within their rights and only enforced Interplay's community ruleset.

Here it seems that neither happens, threads get only locked once they get out of hand pages wise for some reason or another (if it really is performance, well, welcome to 2016, take the person responsible to the lobby and make them the new concierge). So to be honest I can kind of understand Barti when he complains about thread derailing, but I also believe that harsher moderation he demands isn't the solution.

So back to the point, obviously I was a moderator of the other group. I don't think I ever locked a topic unless it was complete garbage from the get go. Sure it was more work for me (the IPLY forum also was much, much larger than this one) but I'd like to think that "my" posters appreciated the effort. Interplay certainly did because we once got a free game of our choice from their library for all the work we were doing. That we kind of unanimously picked Lionheart out of all things is probably worthy of a topic of its own. :)

Of course if this forum can't split threads the point is moot. If it can however then as I said before, this thread might be a great example. This discussion about moderation has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic even if everyone inlcuding the original poster is participating and it kind of deserves its own thread, and in my experience a split thread is kind of like the worm myth that both sides live on. Except for real, obviously. Worms just every now and then survive having half their body cut in half. Errr...

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.