Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nvidia Pascal to launch in June

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Ganrich

Ganrich

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

VR 8K per eye, but the vast majority of developers still won't be able to make competent face animations...

Indeed. I am reading the AMD AMA that was done a few days ago. One dev posted his personal opinion on VR technology scaling by saying that they are aiming for 16k at 240FPS. That is when they believe the tech will simulate reality. So, the game devs will need to pick up their facial animation game.

https://www.reddit.c...pening_here_on/

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

from what i've read amd is going for the mid range market (under 300$ where over 80% of the consumer base is). practically  they seem to plan to start by offering similar performance to the current get at 40-50% of the price (i.e instead of getting a 600$ fury, you can get a 280$ R7 470 and have the same performance). of course these are just conjectures.

• Ganrich likes this

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts

http://wccftech.com/...ronous-compute/

Pascal is in ACE trouble! Bring on the GPU wars of old!!

In happier news:

http://wccftech.com/...eam-processors/

More details about AMD's Polaris/Vega GPU's surface.

• kirottu and Ganrich like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5916 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nvidia unveils first Pascal graphics card, the monstrous Tesla P100.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
Looks like the Batmobile

http://wccftech.com/...gedly-pictured/

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7512 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

Looks like the Batmobile

http://wccftech.com/...gedly-pictured/

Dear Lord, that is ugly as sin.  It's a similar, and just as ugly, design to the one Nvidia used for their Shield console.  Still, it's there to power games, not to be gawked at, so as long as it performs it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Edited by Keyrock, 20 April 2016 - 02:10 PM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Yeah, I hate crappy futuristic aesthetics on computer stuff...

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

here's what i deduce from what i've read/heard so far.

polaris will be the R7/9-4xx cards and the vega chip later this year will be used for the successor of the Fury X

rumor has it that the specs of the card AMD used for a presentation that was running the new Hitman game at 4k-60fps-max settings are 800MHz core and 8GB GDDR5 with passive cooling and is a prototype for the 470 (the final model is supposed to have higher specs)

also from what i know so far, nVidia has problems implementing AC so if they can't find a solution they will have to brute force the performance by making bigger, faster and more expensive chips with higher power requirements.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts

here's what i deduce from what i've read/heard so far.
polaris will be the R7/9-4xx cards and the vega chip later this year will be used for the successor of the Fury X

rumor has it that the specs of the card AMD used for a presentation that was running the new Hitman game at 4k-60fps-max settings are 800MHz core and 8GB GDDR5 with passive cooling and is a prototype for the 470 (the final model is supposed to have higher specs)
also from what i know so far, nVidia has problems implementing AC so if they can't find a solution they will have to brute force the performance by making bigger, faster and more expensive chips with higher power requirements.

If this is true, then Pascal sounds like another fx 5800, which was powerful at the time, but hot, noisy, and choked on DX9 games. They lost lots of ground to ATI then

Edited by Bokishi, 23 April 2016 - 08:00 AM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i read a post in another forum that described the difference between AMD and nVidia. in short, according to him, AMD keeps pushing the technology forward with stuff like mantle, AC etc, but nVidia has the lion's share of the market due to better marketing and their only contribution is black box middleware like physX and gameworks that are more targeted at harming the performance of rival hardware than enhancing the game's visuals

EDIT

Edited by teknoman2, 23 April 2016 - 01:22 PM.

Ganrich

Ganrich

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1463 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

i read a post in another forum that described the difference between AMD and nVidia. in short, according to him, AMD keeps pushing the technology forward with stuff like mantle, AC etc, but nVidia has the lion's share of the market due to better marketing and their only contribution is black box middleware like physX and gameworks that are more targeted at harming the performance of rival hardware than enhancing the game's visuals

EDIT

It isn't far from the truth. Nvidia spent a lot of money perfecting their hardware for DX11 and those decisions have caused them to be flat footed in the Mantle/DX12/Vulkan department. Architecture is like anything else, and has strengths and weaknesses. Their architecture is powerful with DX11, but they have been maintaining the perception of quality via gameworks skull duggery. Most gameworks titles run better on amd ( or at least equally well) after a month or so.

ANDs woes in CPUs are from being equally forward thinking. Bulldozer sucked because it focused on spreading workload across its many cores, but only 8(?) Years later do we start to see multithreading come about.

I think we will see some huge turns for AMD by the end of 2017. I have faith in them in CPUs for the first time since bulldozer. While they have always made great gpus, but their efforts to stop gameworks with an open-source equivalent (GPUOpen) makes them even more appealing.

Edited by Ganrich, 23 April 2016 - 01:33 PM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts
AMD would be fantastic for gaming if, you know, games actually supported that many threads. So if that situation improves (the process has been absolute molasses since the introduction of consumer-grade quadcores about a decade ago), then of course their fortunes will turn there - Intel may whoop them for single-thread performance still, but the price-to-performance ratio would greatly swing in AMD's favor. But...like I said, it's been sooo slow for games to actually start taking advantage of quadcores (hardly any games even do still...). Hope that changes soon with DX12...but I won't be holding my breath.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1761 posts
Pascal looks decently nice. GTX 1070 for MSRP of $380, roughly equal to Titan X's power.

https://www.reddit.c...tx_1080/d2vy0al
https://www.reddit.c...tx_1080/d2vyjdf

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1913 posts

I don't know if I should wait for the 1080Ti or just get the 1080. I'll probably just wait for the 1080Ti before getting anything to get the full picture.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

The GTX 1070 with a $50 increase in the price over the 970 - stings a little for mid-range but probably reasonable (pending test results). The GTX 1080 on the other hand is $100 more than the card it replaces, which was already ridiculously overpriced in the first place. Even though there's a bigger performance gap between the 1080 and 1070 than there was between the 980 and 970, I don't think the pricing can be justified at all but that's the advantage of being the first mover in the market I guess.

Edited by Humanoid, 06 May 2016 - 11:57 PM.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

Yeah nobody likes the Batmobile very much so far. Waiting for AMD to weigh in in september was it. I wonder how genuine their 'VR' rating numbers are

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4753 posts

Regarding AMD vs Nvidia it's fair to remember that Nvidia is consistently better at performance per watt whereas AMD is consistently pushing their chips right to the edge resulting in very power hungry cards. 

Anyway it's best to have no brand loyalty and just judge each chip lineup on its own merits.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
There's regular GTX 1080, and Founder's 1080 for $100 more. Hmmmm

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1913 posts

There's regular GTX 1080, and Founder's 1080 for $100 more. Hmmmm

Wth is a founder's edition?

edit: ah nvm...it's just a "fancy" cooler...

Edited by Sarex, 07 May 2016 - 09:37 AM.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Regarding AMD vs Nvidia it's fair to remember that Nvidia is consistently better at performance per watt whereas AMD is consistently pushing their chips right to the edge resulting in very power hungry cards. 

Anyway it's best to have no brand loyalty and just judge each chip lineup on its own merits.

that was so far because AMD had AC that nothing actually supported so they had to push the chips to keep up with nvidia that had perfected the linear processing. now with dx12 and vulcan that support AC they wont have to push the chips so hard 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users