Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Blarghagh

I think when I go see episode 7 I'll go dressed as Boba Fett. Maybe I'll go, "Hi I'm Boba Fett, you may remember me from the Star Wars Christmas Special."

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Add this to the list of things you just have to have:

61zoKLf6HWL._SX522_.jpg

That's right... a Death Star ice mold. Now every time you take a sip of your fine whiskey you can hear the imperial march music in your head.

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

i saw a nightmare tonight: that i was watching SW VII and it was a reboot 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The saber slash by the bad guy at the end looks like it has absolutely no power behind it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, to be fair, it is a lightsaber: if the defender doesn't block it, they lose their head regardless of the amount of force put into it. Maybe it was a feint of sorts. tongue.png

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

True, just looks silly, but what are we to expect from these fights :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

first off it is a lightsaber so the power of the swing does not really matter if it hits. secondly, in real sword fights people use light, compact and fast attacks that dont leave them open to counters, unless they have a clean shot for the kill. what he does there is a very common fencing opening move where you keep the sword close to your body while you swing in order to be ready to parry in case of a counter attempt... also serves as a test attack to see how your opponent will react to it so you can gauge his aggressiveness.

btw did you notice at 1:39? the guard at the hilt protects the hand from the beam, but on the upper side the metal part is open and the beam is visible (and connected to the central beam of the sword)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Doesn't seem like he is really aiming at Finn, but ok, am not a fencer so I'll take your word for it that what he's doing there is genuine.

Doesn't seem like he is really aiming at Finn, but ok, am not a fencer so I'll take your word for it that what he's doing there is genuine.

aiming for the opponent's weapon is often a more viable way to win a duel than aiming for the opponent himself. the right hit on his sword can break his balance and guard giving an opening for a kill strike. as my tae kwon do teacher used to say "attack your opponent's attack with your first strike, and his head will be free for a bashing with the next". this concept works on all types of armed or unarmed melee combat

-Teknoman2-

Surprised he just doesn't knock Finn on his ass with a Force push.

Think he can, is a dramatic force push like hand motion in one trailer. Kind of a downer if the antagonist is just a cosplayer.

I've heard some people watch the movies in this order. IV A new Hope, V Empire, then II and III as a flash back for Vader when you find out who he is, and then VI to finish it off. It erases the first movie all together.

Interesting way, TBH the first movie seems a bit out of place. It does tell us of the Anakin's origin and the initial manipulations of the would be emperor, but I do not feel that it's critical to the plot line, especially with all that jar-jar and naboo crap.

I'm surprised no one has heard of the machete order.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

I just discovered four-year-old Machete Order (IV, V, II, III, VI) about an hour ago ... somehow I missed this post from last month. 

The evidence is compelling, well-written, punctuated perfectly with precision-placed swear words. 

George Lucas seems to believe that Star Wars is the story of Anakin Skywalker, but it's really not - at least, not effectively. Anakin doesn't have an interesting arc - he gives into what is presented as overwhelming temptation. This is relatable, but it's not terribly interesting. Anakin only has an engaging character turn at the end of Jedi when he's redeemed, but that's not as a character, it's as a goal - something for the character we've been invested in for 3 movies (Luke) to accomplish. Anakin is, at this point in the story, a personified proxy for the entire galaxy. Saving Anakin from the Dark Side just puts a human face on saving the Galaxy from the Empire, and it proves Luke right for his unwillingness to give up on his father, even though his attempts to save him risk the entire mission.

Effectively, this order keeps the story Luke's tale. Just when our main man Luke is left with the burning question "did my father really become Darth Vader?" we take an extended flashback to explain that it's true. Once we understand how his father turned to the dark side, we go back to the main storyline and see how Luke is able to rescue him from it and salvage the good in him, which is the only way to destroy the Empire.

All Stop. On Screen.

here's some info i just got by a guy who works on the subtitling of the movie for my country's cinemas (and by extend he already saw it)

It's a good movie, but it's not star wars enough for a hardcore fan like himself...

-Teknoman2-

I am hoping somebody spoils it all before opening day, somehow.

https://twitter.com/chadkanera/status/676101855584239616/photo/1 :lol:

Edited by Malcador

<facepalm>

Melissa Harris Perry claims Star Wars is racist because Darth Vader is a black guy

MSNBC host Melissa Harris Perry, in addition to comparing black people to the bestial Wookies, complained Saturday that Star Wars is racist because Darth Vader totally looks like a black guy.

“I know why I have feelings — good, bad and otherwise — about Star Wars,” Perry explained. “…I spent the whole day talking about the Darth Vader situation.”

“The part where he was totally a black guy, whose name was basically James Earl Jones,” she said. “While he was black he was terrible and bad, awful and used to cut off white men’s hand, and didn’t actually claim his son. But as soon as he claims his son, goes over to the good, takes off his mask and he is white — yes, I have many feelings about that.”

While it’s unclear if she has actually ever seen the Star Wars films, it is clear she has seen the Kevin Smith film, “Chasing Amy“.  Her argument comes almost directly from it…

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

we get the feeling that msnbc and fox news is in constant struggle to find wingnut-homeostasis.  if fox news makes a ridiculous statement, a msnbc personality must make an equal outrageous claim or the earth will spin out of its orbit and wander into deep space.  our resident obsidian board conspiracy nutters no doubt see such perpetual balancing as contrived by the alien jewish bankers o' R'xvlzic VI, but Gromnir sees as a natural/supernatural phenomenon. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps if unclear, Gromnir were responding to the melissa harris perry contributions to star wars hype.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

12347773_954460707941954_197778486822250

here's some spoilers:

there is a lightsaber duel in the snow

the milenium falcon crashes

and Finn kills a stormtrooper with his lightsaber

btw i heard a nice one in an interview of Mark Hamil: in the first draft of the script to episode V the big revelation was supposed to be that Kenobi killed Luke's father, but then they changed it in Vader being the father

-Teknoman2-

I suspect there will be so much SJW in the new movie...not like the previous ones...

In the movie ? Nah. The marketing to it certainly could - everyone loves the diversity (apparently it was an Issue for some for some reason).