All the Literature and Reading Stuff...

Raithe

That looks pretty good. I'm going to look for Trinity in the library. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I may have mentioned it before long time ago or something but I was thinking about a book series today and upon 'net searching, learned the author had died in 2009 (only 57). That makes me sad.

Anyway, it was her Indigo series. 8 novels (fairly short, 270-300ish pages IIRC). It's odd because while I wouldn't say it was a favorite series, there was still something about it that had me reading the first 6 in less than 24 hours - I had to wait for the last two. I also read her Time Master Trilogy, which I liked quite a lot as well. Never read anything else of hers, I should remedy that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 1 month later...

Now reading this:

51LLHvGQhoL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And this:

61Jb8PPFy9L._SL300_.jpg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now reading this:

51LLHvGQhoL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That Sergeant Rex looks cool, I'll check it out, cheers!

There's a similar movie about an army dog, who's handler dies in Afghanistan, the handlers family then adopt the dog. I really enjoyed it, it's also great for kids. It's called Max made in 2015.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3369806/

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Since the latest Chronicles of Elantra is out soon, I've been re-reading the earlier books in the series.

"How does he treat people he doesn't like?"
"He probably eats them." Marcus shrugged.
"That would break at least three laws."
"Not really. Suicide isn't illegal."
"And being disliked by a Dragon is on record as a form of suicide?"
- Michelle Sagara, Cast in Shadow.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

An interesting side note to the book I posted above, Sergeant Rex. If you have seen, or ever do see the movie Megan Leavy, that is the same dog. She became his handler after the author left the Corps. Her story begins there and ends with her adopting Rex when his working life was over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE4EwTvX8Vw

Thomas Sowell

41rdzW8wCHL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

About halfway through this one. I'm wondering if this is really the same guy who wrote "The Martian". This is nowhere near as good. Jazz is an interesting enough character to keep me reading but the story is... and I'll be kind... lightweight. 

Thomas Sowell

I've read all of Cormac McCarthy's published novels but one. This one. I started it last night. It's not one of his best, but even good from him is better than great from others.

9780679728733_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Thomas Sowell

Re-reading Michelle West's House War.

If you like epic fantasy types of story, definitely worth a read, but it is a bit of an investment slog. To be fair, it's actually several different series that all intersect in the same universe.

The Sacred Hunt Duology was published first:  "The Kingdom of Breodanir is facing a threat unlike any seen for centuries. An orphan boy and his adopted brother struggle against the ties that bind them together (and to their land) as they complete an impossible journey to save the world - at the risk of their own destruction. These are the first books set in the Essalieyan universe to be published."

Then you had The Sun Sword sexalogy : "Sixteen years after the events of The Sacred Hunt, the Empire of Essalieyan and the Dominion of Annagar are at war due to machinations of the Kialli. The resulting struggle for power will define the lives of those who would bring an end to the Kialli threat. Events laid out in The Sacred Hunt are referenced, but are not necessary to follow the story."

Now, here's where it gets.. quirky, as mentioned, events from The Sacred Hunt are referenced, but...it basically tells a slice of the story or rather, a particular story revolving around several characters as the Kialli (basically a form of fallen angel / demons) manipulate events so the Demon-God has managed to return to the mortal plane and is unfolding his manipulations. Now, while the principle story is begun and finished, it doesn't actually involve the defeat of the mentioned Demon-God, just.. that part of the story. And, partway through the plot, a bunch of secondary characters are brought in with various subplots and accompanying movements. A bunch of those movements are not wrapped up in these six books.  It actually makes it feel like a living, breathing universe in some ways because of that.

So, complicated, sprawling, 6 book fantasy epic laid out, with references to a two-part semi-epic and expanding on elements presented there.

Then you have the (as yet) unfinished House War series where it gets a touch complicated. The first three books in this series are actually prequels of a sort. They tell the story of how one of those secondary characters  in the Sun Sword series grew up and ended up in the position  they did, plus in part, how the Demon-God managed to escape the Hells and come ot the mortal plane. Then the rest of the series picks up in the aftermath of the Sun Sword series weaving elements from that into everything else and starts moving those unfinished subplots into major plotlines and how it all snowballs together and onwards.

It might sound awkward, but it works surprisingly well at weaving all those elements in together, showing how the viewpoints can shift, and seeing characters evolve over decades, at how what might be minor subplots to one group of people turn out to be major things occuring elsewhere. Lots of little butterfly wings causing tornado's as it were.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Now reading this:

9780803288485_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg

And this:

51VCO21Ug2L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I heard on a podcast Patrick Rothfuss 3rd book in the Kingkiler series won't be out this year. I wonder it both he and GRRM have become victims of their own success? Or at least their productivity has. When they were an unknown college professor and out of work screen writer (respectively)  and it was just them, a computer, and a story they wanted tell. Now they have money, a huge following, and pressure measuring in the gigabars to complete what people are calling "the greatest fantasy stories of all time". That would have to get to you. It wouldn't surprise me if entire chapters have been written that are really good, but they keep revising them anyway because they won't ever be "good enough" for the "greatest fantasy stories of all time".

Thomas Sowell

I heard on a podcast Patrick Rothfuss 3rd book in the Kingkiler series won't be out this year. I wonder it both he and GRRM have become victims of their own success? Or at least their productivity has. When they were an unknown college professor and out of work screen writer (respectively)  and it was just them, a computer, and a story they wanted tell. Now they have money, a huge following, and pressure measuring in the gigabars to complete what people are calling "the greatest fantasy stories of all time". That would have to get to you. It wouldn't surprise me if entire chapters have been written that are really good, but they keep revising them anyway because they won't ever be "good enough" for the "greatest fantasy stories of all time".

Rothfuss, maybe (his first book blew up out of nowhere), but Martian has been writing for TV, novels, short stories, and editing anthologies for decades before A Song of Fire and Ice. I don't have a dog in the race seeing as I don't like A Song of Fire and Ice, but after writing for TV you'd think he was used to deadlines.  :shrugz:

To be fair to GRR Martin, he has put out a fair amount of content, even though he seems to struggle to wrap stuff up. Rothfuss is taking forever to finish a trilogy about 1 character.

He's hopelessly addicted to FO4. That has slowed him up

Thomas Sowell

Rothfuss, maybe (his first book blew up out of nowhere),

Was that a pun? :lol:

Thomas Sowell

Rothfuss seems to be doing everything but writing a book. Whenever someone calls him out on that, he goes on a rant about how they are bad people for saying that and not letting him have any free time for himself. I mean it's beyond ridiculous that he can't finish a book in such a long time.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'll have to pick up that Seals book. They are still pretty legendary in these parts.

I finished that last night. It was a pretty interesting read. I first became interested in the NHL when the Panthers entered in 1993. So league history, particularly before the '80s is all new to me. I wonder if the team would still be there if Jerry Seltze had bought the team rather than Finley.

Thomas Sowell

Rothfuss seems to be doing everything but writing a book. Whenever someone calls him out on that, he goes on a rant about how they are bad people for saying that and not letting him have any free time for himself. I mean it's beyond ridiculous that he can't finish a book in such a long time.

I don't blame him for that. I've seen prolific authors lose their patience with pushy fans. That said, he hasn't really helped himself either.

Edited by the_dog_days