All the Literature and Reading Stuff...

Raithe

Also reading:

61d6DhRCBSL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This one has been on my to-do list for a long time.

Is it as bad as everyone says?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Also reading:

This one has been on my to-do list for a long time.

In my experience popular things being "as bad as they say" is more often than not directly related to the amount of levels one has put into edgelord. Some people here are high level epic edgelords already. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Also reading:

It wasn't that great. It was like a love letter to old school video games I guess. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well I'm oficcialy soured on fantasy & Sci-Fi again after two total time wasters. So how about some historical fiction & sports. I just ordered these two on my Kindle:

417f%2BcmSQUL.jpg

&

518wJvfHHpL.jpg

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Transformers comics from the Humble Transformers vs GI Joe Bundle. I got it mainly because I remembered an old Transformers plotline where Shockwave (the greatest Transformer of all time) united the factions on Cybertron and wanted to read the whole thing.

Turns out that was Dreamwave comics, where this is IDW. It's actually really quite good anyway. It's no grand opera, but it promises giant plotlines and ancient conspiracies.

Edit: Looking it up, IDW ended up reprinting that particular Dreamwave story at some point. But I don't think it's included. :(

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm currently reading Ben Aaronovich's Peter Grant / Rivers of London fantasy police procedural stories.

RIVERS OF LONDON is a pretty fun start; everything is told from Grant's point of view and we get his thoughts on police procedure as well as his introduction to the Folly and magical crime investigation and while Grant proves to be a plodding detective, he's an adaptable protagonist with some very funny observations about the events he goes through.  Lots of little questions seeded along the way, which may develop in later stories, and we meet the Thames family - the people who are, in essence, the embodiment of the major waterways in London and who are currently feuding while Grant also has to deal with a killer who is magically making people enact the puppet stories of Mr. Punch.   Doggedness rather than clever deduction rule the day, as Grant follows something vaguely like police procedure to track down leads and ultimately put the picture of what's behind it all together.

MOON OVER SOHO - Again we get two plot threads, the Pale Lady is killing men with a cruel cut (well, bite) while something else is causing Jazz musicians to die after gigs.  Grant is at his worst as a detective, in many respects, as he fails to miss some obvious clues as to what is going on and makes a really big (IMO) blunder from a policing standpoint with going out with a woman tangentially connected to one of the cases.  We also get some back story for some of our supporting characters.  But its still a lot of fun, and I found myself unable to put it down when it got to a certain part of the denouement until I'd read the outcome.

Both novels made me laugh out loud in places, but I imagine ones enjoyment of the series is going to depend on how well you take to Peter Grant.  He's a newly minted Police Constable and easily distracted, which if you're looking for an above average detective may be frustrating.  Or if you don't take to the funny observations from Grant you may tire of his narration.

I'm on to Whispers Underground now...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm super late to the party, but I've been reading Codex Alera. Honestly, with the way Jim Butcher likes to rag on his own ability to write in the third person I expected it to be rougher. Apparently he was underselling his talent, because they'er great books (I'm no Cursor's Fury right now).

• 2 weeks later...

Not a big surprise. I spent a ton of money with B&N over the years, but now that I have a kindle, I just don't have much reason to go in there. I'm more likely to shop at my small local bookstore for anything not on the kindle, too, because it is easier.

Not a big surprise. I spent a ton of money with B&N over the years, but now that I have a kindle, I just don't have much reason to go in there. I'm more likely to shop at my small local bookstore for anything not on the kindle, too, because it is easier.

am tending to buy used or new books instead o' kindle or nook.  as such, am kinda doing an even split on amazon v. b&n.  there is always a coupon or deal going for b&n, so, particular for new, physical books, amazon is a second choice. am liking the tactile sensations which accompany physical book reading.  am also wanting to help authors and thus sometimes pay/over pay for a hardback edition from b&n when it would be making more sense to buy used from amazon or elsewhere.

aside: our local public library system is admirable.  the county library has a weekly bookmobile 3 hour scheduled stop in our community.  can reserve books and have 'em delivered.  am rare able to pick up the books our self, but we got neighbors who help us out when the need arises. is kinda an amazing service considering how geographic remote we is.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Would like to recommend a series of books by Justin Cronin, The Passage trilogy.

I'm nearly afraid to tell you what it's about, because of spoilers, because the book starts off as if it's a kidnapping, but suddenly swerves into Twilight Zone territory.

Suffice to say, while I was reading it the first time, I was playing FO:NV and they felt like an appropriate accompaniment to each other.

Links are spoilerific

https://www.amazon.com/Passage-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B003TJA8Y2/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1504899633&sr=1-3&keywords=justin+cronin

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

For those with a taste for some fantasy - The author Jonathan Moeller has got 7 ebooks out for free for International Literature Day.

Jonathan Moeller - Free ebooks

Thank you! Always on the look out for new fantasy, my favourite authors would be

Julian May saga of the exiles series

Stephen Donaldson The chronicles of Thomas Covenant

RA Salvatore of course

Helped along in part by Amazon's pricing tactics in their cool war against major published houses. Why would I spend $20 for either a hardback from B&N or a Kindle edition of a new release when I can buy a new hardback for $12-$16 from Amazon?

Crazy thing is since I got my kindle I've read way more books and spent quite a bit less money. Ease of access plus much better deals.

I read a lot on my phone and my tablet but I use Google Play Books, Kindle, and Nook apps. The selection is slightly different as are the prices and while Amazon usually has the cheapest price I usually have some Google credit from the Google Opinion Rewards app that often makes it the best buy.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Helped along in part by Amazon's pricing tactics in their cool war against major published houses. Why would I spend $20 for either a hardback from B&N or a Kindle edition of a new release when I can buy a new hardback for $12-$16 from Amazon?

Crazy thing is since I got my kindle I've read way more books and spent quite a bit less money. Ease of access plus much better deals.

I'm a collector as much as a book worm. I like to have nice matching set hardbacks. It used to be too expensive, but now I can maintain the bad habit for at least the most important book series to me.

• Like 1

You probably know this, but for those who don't, these guys have a list of free ebooks posted every day

https://www.freebooksy.com

https://www.bookbub.com/ebook-deals/free-ebooks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished Gardens of the Moon. I don't have much time to read at the moment, work's pretty busy and I find myself relaxing in front of the telly at the end of the day, not reading a book where I need to pay attention to the details.

In a way it reminded me of Hohlbein's Anubis, 700 pages of extremely slow build up and in the end nothing much happens with any of the stablished plot threads, and then it is suddenly over with the climax dropped in lieu of something happening that was fuzzily alluded to. Ultimately disappointing, but decent enough to make me grab the next book in line and hope for the best (I did like the plot setup and the setting, just not the resolution).

I also noticed it's been a long time since I actually read high fantasy with mages and gods that actively interfere in mortal business.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Now reading this:

51EXYsrCWgL.jpg

Many of you have read The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz and Ronald Downing. It tells the story of 7 men scooped up by the Soviets in the early days of WW2 and sent to a labor camp in Siberia. They escaped and fled south rather than the easier and shorter route East. The walked from Siberia near Yaukust through Mongolia, China, Nepal, and finally to India over an 18 month journey. Only four survived to be found, starving and near death, by a British patrol in northern India in 1941. In the 1950's one of the survivors, Slavomir Rawicz a Polish refugee living in England, told the story to writer Ronald Downing. If you've never read that book, you should. It's extraordinary.

But is it completely true? Some historical evidence has been presented that escapees from a soviet gulag were in fact found by the British in India, but there is some doubt if Rawicz was one of them. He may not have made up the story but he may not have actually lived it either This book I'm reading now is a look at the historical veracity of The Long Walk.

Thomas Sowell