What are you playing now.

Rosbjerg

If you haven't check out my thorough write-up on page 19 of this thread. I tried to be as objective as possible.

Since that post they added the auto-save and did work on the AI.

I guess the game can get repetitive in visuals, due to the two districts and re-use of assets. But the randomization on the maps does actually make similar looking maps play different.

Niiice! I actually own Mordheim, although I haven't played it in a loooong time. I loved it, but scheduling to play a game sucks.

post-787-0-18164700-1447546862_thumb.jpg

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I bought the Mordheim basic game back when it came out. Never really got to play much though. Maybe if GW now brings out new versions of the specialized games, as they promised :)

At least we have a local Blood Bowl league going.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Fallout 4.

I am really obsessed with the settlement building options. Trying to fortify every settlement I come across. Haven't even touched the main quest yet. The game is a lot of fun despite its flaws, it really allows you play the game the way you want.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Started a second play through of Wasteland 2.  This time, I ignored the shotgun skill for my party.  I found it so useless the last time around.

Just reached Highpool.  This time I'm going to help them out.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just finished The Banner Saga which I enjoyed quite a lot. Both the music and art were beautiful, the combat was sufficiently difficult (and turn-based) and I felt it was one of very few games to properly capture the Norse aesthetic. I also really enjoyed the dual plotthreads that allowed me to role-play two completely different characters.

I played my varl as a ruthlessly pragmatic warmonger trying to assert dominance after the death of his leader and fallen comrade. In contrast my human was an idealistic diplomat who just tried to keep the peace all the while protecting his daughter.

His story did not end well

My only major complaints would be combat often only took place on an empty battlefield and didn't utilise the environment enough. Forcing my characters to work around trees, steps, buildings, doors and so on would have diversified combat. Aside from that the only other complaint would be it was simply too short - 12-15 hours is fine but I did finish hoping for more.

• Like 2

Didn't they base the rules on chess? I know that doesn't preclude them from mixing up terrain more but it probably helped them keep things balanced and make the combat more in keeping with their vision.  

Chess lets your pawns move more often if your opponent has more than you? I have been playing it wrong all these years! No wonder I kept losing! Hah, the local chessclub will get an ear-full.

Which I guess it does actually.

Explains the crappy combat though.

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Didn't they base the rules on chess?

That'd make sense. I did end up using enemy unit positioning to trap the scarier creatures, which is sort of chess-like.

Chess lets your pawns move more often if your opponent has more than you?

As far as I recall the tutorial encourages you to exploit this so it was at the very least intended. I didn't mind it tbh, it discouraged simply running in and killing everyone as fast as possible.
  • Like 1

Highpool was much easier than Ag Center.

Agreed.  I did Highpool on a harder difficulty level (Supreme Jerk) than Ag Canter (Ranger) and Highpool was still easier.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Agreed.  I did Highpool on a harder difficulty level (Supreme Jerk) than Ag Canter (Ranger) and Highpool was still easier.

There just didn't seem to be that much to do, or that many enemies to fight in comparison to what you went up against doing the Ag Center questlines.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

To me it feels like a combat system that was designed not to reflect any sort of believable scenario, but to require players to game the system.

Yeah, rare occasion where combat became an absolute dealbreaker for me. After a few fights I just didn't want to do it anymore despite being fine with the rest of the game, and that was that. Won't be back for the sequels unless combat is overhauled.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's those damn killer bunnies.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I just finished a big project and now I'll have a little time this week to complete Dragonfall finally. It's such a great game, although it seems a little heavy handed with current day movement references to sexuality and the like. Not enough to put me off, just often enough to make me grin and roll my eyes. I mean, some people are straight also, right? lol ...But it's a great game and it definitely does lend it that European sort of self congratulatory cosmopolitanism. Got a kick out of the subtle slap at the US for using the atom bomb. Actually, I thought that was well done. Didn't agree with the implication about the US, but they did a good job with it. Unless it really tanks in what must be the last bit coming up, this is one I can see playing again.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Fallout 4 still

I just finished off old cornflakes. Taking a break to collect what bobbleheads I can. Almost to Charisma!

And then I'll be able to pacify humans. I can pacify Supermutants right now and incite them to attack, which is boffo.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

With Mordheim, how long would you say the single player component of the game is? Your time with multiplayer, is it mainly against AI or a person?

I have 107 hours played. Never played against another human being.

So it really depends on how much you end up enjoying the gameplay. Single player you create your warband and start playing missions. After a couple of missions you get offered a story mission. You can try it whenever you feel ready. After beating it, you play a few random missions before being given the next story mission. There are 8 story missions per warband in general, but mostly you will be doing the procedural generated random missions to get XP, gold, loot, and wyrdstone.

If you can get behind the "I want to make this warband awesome!" mentality, or the "I want to see if I can survive" mentality, then the game has loads to offer. If not, the story is more tagged on, so not really the reason for purchase.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1