What are you playing now.

Rosbjerg

I might have just pre-ordered Battlefront for the Darth Vader theme.

Does this make me a horrible person? Yes or yes.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Send Truda back to the convent ... ok the game says "fired" but from an RP perspective, in an order of warrior nuns, I think the one armed shield expert with the bad constitution is more likely to have returned to the convent to train the novices. So that is what happened :p

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

With Mordheim, how long would you say the single player component of the game is? Your time with multiplayer, is it mainly against AI or a person?

I have 107 hours played. Never played against another human being.

So it really depends on how much you end up enjoying the gameplay. Single player you create your warband and start playing missions. After a couple of missions you get offered a story mission. You can try it whenever you feel ready. After beating it, you play a few random missions before being given the next story mission. There are 8 story missions per warband in general, but mostly you will be doing the procedural generated random missions to get XP, gold, loot, and wyrdstone.

If you can get behind the "I want to make this warband awesome!" mentality, or the "I want to see if I can survive" mentality, then the game has loads to offer. If not, the story is more tagged on, so not really the reason for purchase.

Thanks for the info. As far as loot, how would you describe it? Itemized per each guy in your warband or just an upgrade to the entire warband?

I'm still having a blast with Victor Vran.  I like how you can adjust game difficulty on the fly by activating hexes, which make the game harder but also provide greater rewards.  I just went through the cemetery with 4 of 5 hexes active and it got really brutal in some parts.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thanks for the info. As far as loot, how would you describe it? Itemized per each guy in your warband or just an upgrade to the entire warband?

A picture, 1000 words and all that:

AOIZlVr.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot, each warrior gets to wear headwear (helmet, amulet or pendant) and armour (cloth, light or heavy). They get two weapon sets they can switch between. Then they have an inventory for consumables based on their strength value. this inventory is shared with their carrying/looting capacity during missions though. So filling that up means less grabbing wyrdstone.

Equipment comes in three qualities: white, blue, purple. Blues and Purples can be enhanced with runes once you find the (rare) formulas.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Is it true there's no single player campaign?  What's the online play like, anyway?  CoD-esque, but third person view?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Only the Oghma Infinium left and I should finally be getting the "Oblivion Walker" achievement in Skyrim, assuming it doesn't bug again (I should have had that achievement a loong time ago already, but it never triggered). *knocks on wood*, then it's just making it to lvl78 or somesuch and beating up one of the supercharged dragons and that will be the first time I reach "100% completion" on a game, I think.

Edited by marelooke

Wow. Much more in depth then I had thought. Thanks for taking the time and also for all the screenshots of your gameplay!

Just wish there was more map variety.

The troops themselves do have quite a bit of depth:

9 stats/attributes in three categories. As they gain XP they get points to spend in those categories. (So if you get a martial stat increase, you choose if you use it on weapon skill, ballistic skill or accuracy). Stats cap based on what type of warrior it is.

Skill points used to train active and passive skills (for example Staggering Blow is an active skill that costs 3 offense points (instead of the standard 2), does a normal melee attack but reduces the target's strategic points - on the other hand armour proficiency is a passive skill that reduces the move penalty of heavy armour). Skills have stat requirements to train. They have to tiers. Anyone can learn the base tier (as long as they have 2 skill points, the gold cost and meet the stat requirement), but henchmen can't learn the mastery.

Casters also get spell points to learn spells the same way as skills.

Some skills are rather useless though.

I just fought my first epic monster in Victor Vran, some gargoyle named something or other the Voiceless.  Damn, that dude was an ***hole.  There's a challenge in that area to beat him within 90 seconds of entering the area with a couple of hexes active (I believe one that makes enemies move and attack faster and another that makes them hit harder and sometimes cripple on hit).  So, I tried a bunch of times to do the challenge and it's freakin' nearly impossible.  Never mind the hexes, which make matters worse, just killing him in 90 seconds is nearly impossible because he doesn't appear at the beginning of the level, you gotta run a little ways.  So, you got 2 choices: 1) Kill the enemies along the way before getting to him, which will waste enough time to make completing the challenge flat out impossible.  2) Run past the enemies and reach him as quickly as possible.  The problem with this choice is that the enemies will chase you and now you'll have to fight all of the enemies you ran past, the epic monster, and all the enemies that spawn around him all at the same time.  On top of that, the guy is super tough and armored, so it takes forever to hurt him, plus he has a couple of attacks that deal crazy amounts of damage (in the neighborhood of 1/2 - 2/3 your health).  The attacks are telegraphed a bit and can be dodged, but good luck with that when there are 40 other dudes all on top of you making it impossible to move.  Needless to say, I eventually gave up on the challenge and just took my time systematically wiping out his cronies before taking on him, and even that took me 2 tries.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In the game of video games, you either buy or die.

A picture, 1000 words and all that:

AOIZlVr.jpg

As you can see in the screenshot, each warrior gets to wear headwear (helmet, amulet or pendant) and armour (cloth, light or heavy). They get two weapon sets they can switch between. Then they have an inventory for consumables based on their strength value. this inventory is shared with their carrying/looting capacity during missions though. So filling that up means less grabbing wyrdstone.
Equipment comes in three qualities: white, blue, purple. Blues and Purples can be enhanced with runes once you find the (rare) formulas.

Mordheim was on my wishlist but thanks to melkathi it is now on the top of my to play list.

Edited by Cat Food

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Weird.  Playing through Wasteland 2, I came across a robot companion named Vax.  Didn't run into him the first time through.  His gun arm is ridiculously strong (early on) in combat.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I finished Dragonfall. Truly Excellent! I felt compelled to start a new game of Pillars of Eternity with a godlike of the moonish variety who also happens to hold forth as a priest of Eothas. Didn't get far because, while I had a little time tonight, my health is undergoing a little bit of renovation right now and the antibiotics and vicadin still leave a wee bit o' edge on the process and I was finding it hard to concentrate on the game. Tomorrow, assuming I'm feeling better, I won't have time. ...But I'll be preaching to everyone in the lands about the goodness of Eothas soon enough, I'm sure.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Finished Fallout 4's main quest. It was certainly an improvement over Fallout 3 and Skyrim's main quests and it shows that, in spite of what some people think, Bethesda *is* listening and genuinely trying to make an improvement on their storytelling. However, it's also full of strange holes, flat characters, and structurally it's profoundly unsound.

I feel like that's also a good summary of the Fallout 4 experience. I'd say it's a much, much more fun game than the last few Bethesda has published, but it also seemingly lacks a clear design direction. Very, very strange, after Skyrim and Fallout 3 seemed so sure of what they wanted to be, if nothing else.

I'm completely addicted to Fallout 4. I'm having so much fun just roaming through the Wasteland, I'm not sure I do any quests at all. This gameworld must be the best I've ever seen. Not only is it massive (as in big), there's so much to see, find and do that it's almost overwhelming to me (and these are the types of games I live for!). Two of the coolest places I've visited aren't even marked on the map! Got to love the confidence of Bethesda's world builders: when you know you have so much stuff in your game that you can hide two fantastic places like this with the knowledge that most people probably won't even find them!

Almost every place you look has something special or something to find. Almost every location tells a story, not merely by word, but by incidental detail (something I believe Bethesda are masters at). Just little details that make exploring so rewarding and fun. The only ones who are equally good at this are Piranha Bytes. I went by the coast last night and swam out to a half-sunken fishing boat. At the tail end (the part sticking up out of the water) there was only a suitcase, a teddy bear and something I forgot. But the things were placed in such a way I couldn't help wonder what happened to the little family. Love stuff like that even though I got no xp, no equipment or anything. It just shows that Bethesda knew someone would take the time to swim out there and explore.

I'm also addicted to modifying my weapons. I looove finding the legendary enemies (even though I ran into a Legendary Alpha Deathclaw yesterday.. it did not end well)! Turns out you can modify even the star-marked weapons that sometimes drop off the legendary enemies. So now the hunt is on to find my favourite weapons with some cool legendary stats. Yeah, it may be a bit MMO-ish, but I love it.

I did kill a normal Deathclaw yesterday at least. My first. Yay.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I do have to admit that some of you diehard fans really do elicit interest in Fallout 4. Because of the enthusiasm, I'm thinking I might actually purchase the game after the new year. It used to be that companies didn't care as much about sales after the first push, but with digital distribution, my gut tells me that's starting to change. ...And, if I like a game, I want my support for the title to do some practical good for the company.

Anyhow, I've bought most of Bethesda's games and enjoyed them, so it's not like I'm worried about enjoying Fallout 4. It's more a question of time.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I haven't played Mordheim yet. melkathi is the expert but I am not sure if he has played any of the Battle Isle games. I saw a couple of youtube videos right now and the pace of the game(planning your actions, using skills based on the situation, watching your flank etc.) is sort of similar to Incubation. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I only played the very first Battle Isle. I was terrible at it.

I'll check the forum - there are apparently a couple of very dedicated mordheim players worth watching.

edit:

so apparently the youtubers to watch for Mordheim are Smart Trigger, Sheepdog, & MookieMorjax

Edited by melkathi