Republican Presidential Debate

BruceVC

No you fool, he's far too mild for acceleration. We need Trump to truly crash the US.

Carson has promised anarchy by 2016. Trump needs to step up his game.

Ah, but Carson's comments are just him being scared. Trump has a plan to do some acceleration that Carson can't top.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I am no longer interested in Ben Carson as a candidate.   :blink:

You were ever interested in Ben Carson? Why?

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Your own government is your worst enemy :

Findings of the 13 Investigates report include:

•The IRS accepts millions of tax returns – and issues tax refunds – even when taxpayer documents show clear warning signs of identity theft

•Confidential IRS policies instruct IRS employees not to tell taxpayers when someone else uses their social security number to earn income

•The IRS allows illegal immigrants to "borrow" social security numbers that do not legally belong to them

•The IRS is discontinuing a program to notify taxpayers when their social security number is used by someone else to gain employment

Un-****ing-believable! http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/426717/adventures-in-immigration-non-enforcement

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Bump because apparently there was another one.

ZjhpaGQ.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Trump (or Sanders for the democrats) should win because he cannot be bought by interest groups that are actively working to continue the status quo of 'modern society'.

...and also because i love politically incorrect characters who make the establishment cry. Call it shaudenfreude.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What do you think of Carson?

A mumbling nobody who can be easily manipulated financially and ideologically by the powers that be. I guess that his popularity comes from the evangelicals rallying around him. Simply another GWB-lite but without any charm, family-dynasty or money behind him.

He will sell himself for little as long as he can believe in grain-filled pyramids.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Carson seems like a genuinely good and decent fellow who is just in over his head. His intelligence and temperament are his strengths but being a world famous neurosurgeon does not prepare you to be President of the US. The President does not need to be an expert on every nuance of policy. Indeed some of our best have been "big picture" guys who assemble the most capable team of advisors and cabinet officials, tells them what he wants in general terms, then gets out of their way. Reagan, Kennedy, Teddy Roosevelt are some examples. Some of the worst have been the micromanagers like Carter, LBJ, GWB. Of course there are exceptions. Clinton & FDR were micromanagers who turned in successful presidencies and Obama and Nixon were 'big picture" guys who made a mess of things.  

I think by necessity from his lack of experience Carson would be a "big picture" type and his success would depend on the quality of the team he can assemble. But this is where is outsider title becomes a liability. If he is the nominee he will have won over the candidates the notoriously patriarchal "Republican Establishment" would have rather had. So there is a question there as to how much help they would be to him. Unlike the democrats the republicans are all too willing to cannibalize their own when they don't get their way. You can win as an outsider but you can't govern as one. Without that assistance how would Carson even be sure who to pick? That is the problem.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So here are my odds on who will be the next to drop out:

Trump: 100:1 He's going to the last bell

Carson: 100:1 I don't know if he expected to be where he is but no sense in quitting now

Rubio: 100:1 He is the rising star right now

Cruz: 99:1 So far so good

Bush: 75:1. Jeb, we hate you. Go away. If we wanted a democrat we'd vote for Hillary. But he won't. 

Paul: 20:1 Rand is not a man to chase quixotic causes. I think he will exit after New Hampshire if he has a poor showing.

Kasich: 10:1 After Tuesday night he's done. He might not know it but his campaign is toe-tagged.

Fiorina: 30:1 she is tenacious by nature and her campaign has money and that translates to time. But she needs a break and needs it quick.

Huckabee: 100:1 He doesn't expect to win and really isn't even campaigning. I think he actually likes this s--t.

Christie: 15:1 Ok Chris you 15r minutes are up.

Jindal: 4:1 We like you Bobby but this ain't gonna happen.

Santorum: 10:1 See my reply on Huckabee.

Pataki: 2:1 Is he still here?

Graham: 2:1 Why the f--k did you even run you piece of s--t? You are the most hated Republican since Arlen Specter, for all the same reasons.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Trump (or Sanders for the democrats) should win because he cannot be bought by interest groups that are actively working to continue the status quo of 'modern society'.

...and also because i love politically incorrect characters who make the establishment cry. Call it shaudenfreude.

You rebel.

What do you think of Carson?

JesusBen.jpg

If this is real, then either he will be the acceleration candidate or will die after his priest tells him the apocalypse has begun.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Remotely relevant:

I've just read Jennifer Lawrence's interview with Vogue, which came out earlier today and is hot in the news right now due to  her shockingly honest criticisms of Donald Trump, Kim Davis, and the Republicans party in general.   She is probably the most popular and well-like actress right now.  In the past, her politics had always been a mystery - she kept her politics to herself so no one really knows what her political affiliation was.  This interview is the first time I read anything about her political positions on a host of issues. 

I had thought she must be a Republican - because she came from Kentucky, from a  wealthy middle-upper-class white family.   Boy was I wrong.   I expect the backlash and calls for boycotts from Fox News and conservative to follow anytime now. I have to say: I have always mildly liked her (mostly due to her roles in X-Men and The Hunger Games; don't care much for her boring feminist dramas.) After reading her spill her political opinions, my respect for her has gone up by a whole lot.

Yesterday no one knew if she was a Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, because she had kept out of political discussions and interviews.  Now everyone knows she stands.

Edited by ktchong

Remotely relevant:

I've just read Jennifer Lawrence's interview with Vogue, which came out earlier today and is hot in the news right now due to  her shockingly honest criticisms of Donald Trump, Kim Davis, and the Republicans party in general.   She is probably the most popular and well-like actress right now.  In the past, her politics had always been a mystery - she kept her politics to herself so no one really knows what her political affiliation was.  This interview is the first time I read anything about her political positions on a host of issues. 

I had thought she must be a Republican - because she came from Kentucky, from a  wealthy middle-upper-class white family.   Boy was I wrong.   I expect the backlash and calls for boycotts from Fox News and conservative to follow anytime now. I have to say: I have always mildly liked her (mostly due to her roles in X-Men and The Hunger Games; don't care much for her boring feminist dramas.) After reading her spill her political opinions, my respect for her has gone up by a whole lot.

Yesterday no one knew if she was a Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, because she had kept out of political discussions and interviews.  Now everyone knows she stands.

Yes, I also care about the political views of a 20-something actress.   :mellow:   

http://www.vogue.com/13368193/jennifer-lawrence-december-2015-cover-hunger-games

Its funny but there isn't much  political discussion in this interview? Maybe two paragraphs or so and I find her general criticism of the Republicans to be reasonable....so I'm not sure what the big deal is?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Liking or disliking someone because of their political leanings makes no sense to me. It's like disliking someone because they cheer for a different sports team than you. Aside from making entertaining discussion fodder politics really should not play a significant role an anyone's life unless you are running for office. If it does and it is not your profession then you are wrapped WAY too tight.

Ktchong's post is wrong headed for a couple of reasons. One he makes an assumption of what a stranger's politics based on what he knows about her back ground. Second his respect for her goes up when he finds out she cheers for the same team he does. Well buddy your respect is a cheap commodity indeed if that is all it takes to earn it.

Another thing I don't get is why anyone give a crap what celebrities think about anything? Not to generalize here but a great many of them are not what I'd call educated, well rounded people. I guess for some to find out a famous person agrees with them on something it validates their beliefs somehow. But if someone is having the political views shaped by people insulated from the real world by money and privilege please do us all a favor and sleep in on election day.

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

Interview don't seem to be very political, only political views Jennifer Lawrence express in it are that she was raised to vote republicans, but currently she can't do that as she disagrees with GOP in some issues (mostly what consist women basic rights) that she feels strongly about and she thinks that Trump would make very bad president.

So I am agreement with Bruce that interview in question isn't very political and those political views that there are, are quite mild. At least for american political debate. 

• Like 1

Agreed, also generally when celebrities discuss politics they are normally on the side of more equality and are concerned with human rights. So things like gay rights are understandably important to them

But I don't  generally look at any celebrities for guidance around prudent political insight 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Carson seems like a genuinely good and decent fellow who is just in over his head. His intelligence and temperament are his strengths

inside-the-great-pyramid-giza-2.gif

I would not let this guy near any granary construction company for obvious reasons. I don't know how you define intelligence, but Carson clearly has about the same grip on reality as a paranoid schizophrenic. That is not to say that he cannot also be intelligent in some sense of the word, like this guy. It's kind of scary to think about what other kinds of absurd ideas he might have.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Carson seems like a genuinely good and decent fellow who is just in over his head. His intelligence and temperament are his strengths

inside-the-great-pyramid-giza-2.gif

I would not let this guy near any granary construction company for obvious reasons. I don't know how you define intelligence, but Carson clearly has about the same grip on reality as a paranoid schizophrenic. That is not to say that he cannot also be intelligent in some sense of the word, like this guy. It's kind of scary to think about what other kinds of absurd ideas he might have.

The image seems to be completely unrelated to what you are talking about, unless I am missing something?

See this.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"