Republican Presidential Debate

BruceVC

I'm talking about the ones who want to preserve Jeffersonian democracy, capitalism, Federalism and Constitutional law where no one is either above or below the law. I guess some of those things are already gone so may be trying to restore them would be reactionary?

Yes you are a reactionary....not quite a zealot but no doubt a reactionary  :p  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Reactionaries aren't really the same as conservatives, since they do want change just in the opposite direction from those wanted by progressives/ liberals. Conservative/ reactionary/ liberal/ progressive have always been both moving goal posts over time and relative to each other within a particular area (country, usually).

Much of the problem with discussion of such issues is that the various terms are pretty indistinct and relative, so a liberal in KSA is likely to be far more conservative than a conservative in Sweden but a conservative from Sweden in the early 19th century would be majorly different from the 21st century Swedish conservative; and you have a distinction between the 'old' liberalism which was largely related to economics and 'social' liberalism which is more related to what we'd now call social justice and the like. So you end up with confusing things like the Australian Liberal Party and British Conservative Party actually being very similar despite their names with both being (broadly) socially conservative but economically liberal. It really needs better nomenclature, much like the rather silly left wing/ right wing stuff which is most often used both terribly and inconsistently and has shifted pretty randomly from its roots in 18thC France.

This is a good post Zora, its interesting and raises some good points  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

California and Texas are probably the two states that could feasibly break away and establish an independent government.  

According to this, Alaska and Hawaii are the states that would struggle the most: http://business.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/20/13283087-hawaii-alaska-and-the-states-that-get-the-most-federal-money

Pretty interesting read.  

It is pretty interesting, but I'm not sure - given how they present the data and what it represents (military spending, college aid, etc) on a per-person breakdown (ie total spending divided by population without understanding who is getting the money and why) actually indicates that Alaska or Hawaii would have problems existing without access to federal governmental money.

I mean they may, but I don't think its really borne out in that data.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin McCarthy withdraws name for Speakership.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/08/kevin-mccarthys-implosion-signals-that-republicans-have-a-revolution-on-their-hands/

The Republican establishment is kaput.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Kevin McCarthy withdraws name for Speakership.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/10/08/kevin-mccarthys-implosion-signals-that-republicans-have-a-revolution-on-their-hands/

The Republican establishment is kaput.

The House Freedom Caucus is wielding a lot of influence for it's size it seems. I think that is a good thing.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's not the worst thing that can happen from the Democrat perspective. It's not like a Tea Partier can be the next Speaker. Let them have their civil war. This is the crows coming home to roost.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Actually it didn't. What he called traitors were completely innocent people. Big part of the reason Soviet Union did so bad in Finnish war and WW2 initially is he purged the military of most experienced officers.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

We'd be the only conservative country in the world, and therefore the most economically successful and freest country in the world. And really, don't Conservatives deserve their own homeland? Btw, efforts to secede haven't led to war anywhere in the Western world, and one might remember that the feds backed off when confronted with an armed population in that dispute with the Nevada rancher.

Saudi Arabia is p. conservative, yet I would not call them free or economically successful...

Mississippi is incredibly conservative and its the poorest state in the U.S.

We'd be the only conservative country in the world, and therefore the most economically successful and freest country in the world. And really, don't Conservatives deserve their own homeland? Btw, efforts to secede haven't led to war anywhere in the Western world, and one might remember that the feds backed off when confronted with an armed population in that dispute with the Nevada rancher.

Saudi Arabia is p. conservative, yet I would not call them free or economically successful...

Not only that, but it gets an unfair amount of federal money:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

You guys need to divorce the words Republican and Conservative. They are starting to mean very different things.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You guys need to divorce the words Republican and Conservative. They are starting to mean very different things.

I'd say conservative means something very different from what it is used to describe in US politics, but words get meaning from culture so it's stuck being shorthand for class cuckoldry, hawkish military policy, and adherence to certain parts of Christian teachings instead of "slow to change".

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Actually it didn't. What he called traitors were completely innocent people. Big part of the reason Soviet Union did so bad in Finnish war and WW2 initially is he purged the military of most experienced officers.

Exactly. Now read my post again. ;)
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Before you defeat the enemy you first have to purge the traitors.

Wait, so you're saying anyone that drops out of the runnings for a job is a traitor...

I was commenting on something else, McCarthy dropping out was definitely a good thing.

Mississippi is historically rural and poor. If they were a country being conservative might help them more, but as it is they still have to obey all the federal rules.

Exactly. Now read my post again. wink.png

I did read it. What philosophical depths did I miss? "kind of worked" still means it did work, not "it did the opposite of intended".

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

• 4 weeks later...

As a candidate for President, I certainly do not expect you to be an expert on archeology or even history.  But I do expect you to be smart enough to listen to an entire world of experts who have actually done the studying, or at least not dumb enough to throw out your own unfounded opinions.

I am no longer interested in Ben Carson as a candidate.   :blink:

I hate to break it to you Hurlie, but most of those candidates don't believe in climate change.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I hate to break it to you Hurlie, but most of those candidates don't believe in climate change.

Hey, I'm a history guy, not a science guy. That doesn't get under my skin as much. :p

Ah, so a different situation where a politician pulled a contrarian opinion out of their ass. What did Carson say? Edited by KaineParker

I've changed my mind I want Carson for president.

No you fool, he's far too mild for acceleration. We need Trump to truly crash the US.

Right now I'm leaning towards "none of the above". But I already know next year I'll be voting "not Democrat". So whoever wins the nomination can probably count on my vote. But I'm certain I'll be holding my nose when I do it.

Thomas Sowell