I type a lot and people use that to argue I'm mad or take a topic too serious.

Longknife

That's all. :C

Minor rant, nothing more. Just gotta be the sixth time this week that I've provided input on some random tangent subject that arose in a discussion and then the response to my well-thought out post on the matter I bothered to write up is "WOW U SURE WROTE A LOT, U MUST CARE WAAAAAY MORE THAN U SHULD OR BE MAD OR BE A BLATANT FANBOY OF X OR BE BORING OR SUCK AT LIFE, LOL."

Then I sigh cause I know they wrong and I in the habit of writing a lot on EVERYTHING (even this post ended up way longer than I initially thought), I know they should focus on what I say and not on how it was said, but I know there's jack all I can do about this.

So yeah. :c

SO HOW R U GUIS? Any of you got something where you wish you could convince a person otherwise but you know it's not within your power to actually do so?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

771133269a.png

:banana:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

117a008b6e.png

:banana:

NOOOOOOOO~~ my SELF-ESTEEEEEM~~  :C

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Sometimes it's not about who's right: discussions (as well as communication in general) that are constructive/worth having are usually about more than just that...as infuriating as it may be when we know (or believe we know) ourselves to be right. :p

(edit): It is sometimes really hard to make well-written English sentences while still saying what I want to say. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I've completely stopped being involved in heated Internet discussions / argumentations months ago, in the the Internet I've never ever seen a single person admitting they're wrong even when it was blatantly obvious, and I've never seen a discussion coming to a meaningful, positive end.

And I have to admit, in this I'm not perfectly free of guilt either. For some reasons most people turn into fanatics once they're involved in such nonpersonal debate.

Discussions in real life are so much more successful and meaningful, in the Internet it seems like a complete waste of time.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

That's all. :C

Minor rant, nothing more. Just gotta be the sixth time this week that I've provided input on some random tangent subject that arose in a discussion and then the response to my well-thought out post on the matter I bothered to write up is "WOW U SURE WROTE A LOT, U MUST CARE WAAAAAY MORE THAN U SHULD OR BE MAD OR BE A BLATANT FANBOY OF X OR BE BORING OR SUCK AT LIFE, LOL."

Then I sigh cause I know they wrong and I in the habit of writing a lot on EVERYTHING (even this post ended up way longer than I initially thought), I know they should focus on what I say and not on how it was said, but I know there's jack all I can do about this.

So yeah. :c

SO HOW R U GUIS? Any of you got something where you wish you could convince a person otherwise but you know it's not within your power to actually do so?

Since you seem to want constructive criticism one of the issues I have had with your debating etiquette is not that you make long posts, its that you expect people to respond in the same way. So if some response is not either very detailed or doesn't address all your points you feel people " are not debating in good faith"...but not everyone wants to spend hours on one debate. So maybe learn to expect 1 or 2 responses in a discussion ?

And of course you don't always do this but sometimes you do 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sometimes it's not about who's right: discussions (as well as communication in general) that are constructive/worth having are usually about more than just that...as infuriating as it may be when we know (or believe we know) ourselves to be right. :p

(edit): It is sometimes really hard to make well-written English sentences while still saying what I want to say. :(

Nah it's not even reaching a point of "who is right," it's been more about "I want to discredit your post and not even respond to it by pointing out that it's long," then said discussion just doesn't even start or happen period. :c

I've completely stopped being involved in heated Internet discussions / argumentations months ago, in the the Internet I've never ever seen a single person admitting they're wrong even when it was blatantly obvious, and I've never seen a discussion coming to a meaningful, positive end.
And I have to admit, in this I'm not perfectly free of guilt either. For some reasons most people turn into fanatics once they're involved in such nonpersonal debate.

Discussions in real life are so much more successful and meaningful, in the Internet it seems like a complete waste of time.

If you're talking one on one with somebody, it can happen. In open discussions, though, it does generally seem to be eternally fruitless to try to convince the person you're actually arguing with...however, I think that's because somebody who decides to engage with you already has cemented their stance: why else would they feel the need to go out of their way to argue with you (unless they're simply playing devil's advocate)? Vice versa if you do the same for them, too, of course. On the other hand, your arguments may help guide others who are not actively involved in the discussion one way or another: I know for a fact that merely listening to other people discuss on these forums in certain topics and seeing what're the best arguments people can come up with are has helped sway me at least a little towards one side or another. Unfortunately, for this to actually be any legitimate good for figuring out your own stance, this also relies on both sides being equal in terms of arguing ability, which, as I'm sure some of us have noticed/felt by now in regards to certain members and discussions here, is often simply not true. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

I learn quite a bit from these discussions we all have.  Sometimes it encourages me to do more research, sometimes my viewpoint changes over time.  I definitely have different opinions than I did a decade ago when I started spending time here.  

Although I would say I have less in common with the folks here than I used to.  The demographic has changed a bit, I'm a bit more curmudgeonly, etc.   :shrugz:

• Like 1

Hey, I never really had anything in common with hardly anybody here to begin with: it's no big deal. :shifty:

Edited by Bartimaeus

I do that quite often on this very forum. I have the same problem. I've been trying to get my points across in two paragraphs or less these days.

I actually DON'T like filtering my posts down. It's like I feel as though I can get my thought process across better if I write it as I want to write it. Filtering down is only something I might do if it's crystal clear I've blatantly repeated myself.

I get it from both sides, it's just annoying latley cause like I'll be randomly roaming the internet, I'll discover fans of show X and fans of show Z debating about if show Z is ****, I'll comment and provide just a bit of input from how things look from my outsider perspective, and then someone's like "LOL OMG U WROTE SO MUCH, UR OBVIOUSLY BUTTHURT AND A HUGE SHOW Z FANBOY" and it's like well **** me how do I respond to that when clearly the person has just turned my post size into their personal shield so that they don't even have to engage in a discussion with me.

Lame, understandable, but frustrating lately. :p

I disagree! (and no, I'm not doing it to bait you into a long-drawn e-debate :shifty: ) People IRL may be more willing to concede a point, but odds are they are still clinging to it internally and simply aren't comfortable continuing with heated discussion that may jeopardize a relationship or one that requires them to examine deeply held beliefs. On the internets people are simply less willing to back down, as a result of anonimity and little risk of escalation.

Most of the time, people don't base their opinion on X on a ton of meta-analyses they have read on the matter, and the most cutting edge research on the topic. Instead, cultural/social prejudice and quick jugments make up a majority of the stuff we believe. The alternative, living in constant uncertainty about everything, is impractical, uncomfortable, and unnecessary to perpetuate the species. I think it's also somewhat arrogant to expect people's beliefs to be turned upside down simply because you told them how wrong they are you're no Jesus Christ (and even for him it didn't work out so well...).

As for eating crow, I used to be a Reaganite. There, I said it.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I do that quite often on this very forum. I have the same problem. I've been trying to get my points across in two paragraphs or less these days.

I actually DON'T like filtering my posts down. It's like I feel as though I can get my thought process across better if I write it as I want to write it. Filtering down is only something I might do if it's crystal clear I've blatantly repeated myself.

I get it from both sides, it's just annoying latley cause like I'll be randomly roaming the internet, I'll discover fans of show X and fans of show Z debating about if show Z is ****, I'll comment and provide just a bit of input from how things look from my outsider perspective, and then someone's like "LOL OMG U WROTE SO MUCH, UR OBVIOUSLY BUTTHURT AND A HUGE SHOW Z FANBOY" and it's like well **** me how do I respond to that when clearly the person has just turned my post size into their personal shield so that they don't even have to engage in a discussion with me.

Lame, understandable, but frustrating lately. :p

I get it, I don't like it either but most people won't bother to read it and not writing walls of text saves a lot of time. :shrugz:

Huge walls of text aren't very conductive to discussion to begin with, though... Resort to it if necessary, but otherwise have a little restraint and don't drill in every single point and tidbit of supporting information you can possibly think of/bring up all at once. Nobody wants to read those kinds of posts. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Personally I try to remember Shakespeare's saying, brevity is the soul of wit, and cut down on rambling. If necessary trim all your prose and make a bullet point list of details. However from the responses you recieved it seems likely that the person you were in discussion with was not worth the interaction, they obviously cannot debate the topic so inevitably try and make a personal dig. One has experience of these little lapdogs yapping at ones heels, ignore them they're not worth it.

I've often thought that a master of discussion could make resounding points with just a few words, take Iago: "Methinks the lady doth complain too much." Such a simple sharp sentence, conveying so much meaning. Then again this somewhat lies in the nature of English as the largest of languages (not most spoken,) we have so many words from so many father languages to use that we often babble. Terseness can also be seen as rude by some, while others see it as a lack of education.

Edit: Also don't be ashamed of passion, sometimes it is warranted. I'd much rather have a discussion with an honest and enthused individual, than someone whom simply parrots an accepted opinion or whatever they have heard on the local or international news.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Is probably a phase, I mean I used to type a lot back when I thought that my opinions were important but then I realized that no one cares. Now if I could only make that clear to people with blogs.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I post a lot on my phone, and it looks like a huge block of text and when I get home to my PC it turns out its like 2 lines.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I post a lot on my phone, and it looks like a huge block of text and when I get home to my PC it turns out its like 2 lines.

When I post on my phone or ipad or something, all that ends up happening is I type something like "I like a lot of songs by the Doors" and it comes out "I lick a lot of swans on the whores" and then I'm just like "wtf autocorrect??"

• Like 1

Personally I try to remember Shakespeare's saying, brevity is the soul of wit, and cut down on rambling. If necessary trim all your prose and make a bullet point list of details. However from the responses you recieved it seems likely that the person you were in discussion with was not worth the interaction, they obviously cannot debate the topic so inevitably try and make a personal dig. One has experience of these little lapdogs yapping at ones heels, ignore them they're not worth it.

I've often thought that a master of discussion could make resounding points with just a few words, take Iago: "Methinks the lady doth complain too much." Such a simple sharp sentence, conveying so much meaning. Then again this somewhat lies in the nature of English as the largest of languages (not most spoken,) we have so many words from so many father languages to use that we often babble. Terseness can also be seen as rude by some, while others see it as a lack of education.

Edit: Also don't be ashamed of passion, sometimes it is warranted. I'd much rather have a discussion with an honest and enthused individual, than someone whom simply parrots an accepted opinion or whatever they have heard on the local or international news.

Honestly? Not 100% sure what you are trying to say with this post (I *think* I get it) original.gif

Information is valuable, don't inflate it, nor waste it on those on whom it's wasted?

(I often get accused of being a lousy communicator in real life, putting too much effort into "the point" and too little on "the packaging")

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein