Charleston church massacre

Ineth

I'm not really getting the impression that there is a big group in SC fighting to keep the flag up.  The governor has led the charge to remove it.  

Also, cynicism, yikes.   :p

Cultures change over time.  Not having a symbol that has become analogous to the Civil War, slavery, and racism flying above the State building seems like a pretty simple place to start.

Thing is the people who believe the Confederate Stars and Bars flag means something aren't the kind who'll hear the message; they're most likely already inclined to not trust the government.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It looks like I can still get my wife a confederate bikini, so all is not lost.

:lol: funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

People will still demand she take it down.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

*golf-clap*

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Very clever  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How many Americans are needed to screw in a lightbulb?

The famous photograph which that statue is based on, was staged, wasn't it? So they didn't actually need so many soldiers to put up the flagpole, the photographer just decided that it looked better... ;)

Oddly, Black Panther memorabilia is still available so I guess we're not that ate up over the symbolism. ;)

I don't think they don't adorn any official government building/memorial though.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The famous photograph which that statue is based on, was staged, wasn't it? So they didn't actually need so many soldiers to put up the flagpole, the photographer just decided that it looked better... wink.png

Iirc, it is a staged photo insofar as the photographer was not present when they raised the flag over Iwo Jima, so they had the troops do it again so a picture could be taken. The act itself really happened.

I don't think they don't adorn any official government building/memorial though.

What does that have to do with various retailers refusing to sell confederate flag adorned items (Amazon, Walmart, eBay, Sears, Etsy, etc...)? Clicky.

How many Americans are needed to screw in a lightbulb?

The famous photograph which that statue is based on, was staged, wasn't it? So they didn't actually need so many soldiers to put up the flagpole, the photographer just decided that it looked better... ;)

Oddly, Black Panther memorabilia is still available so I guess we're not that ate up over the symbolism. ;)

I believe the point is they are removing Confederate paraphernalia from places like Walmart yet you can still buy Black Panther goods, it seems inconsistent ? 

John Milton 

It's just a bloody flag. It's not the problem. 

I mean it's nice that you can all come together to get rid of that thing after all that time... I mean to say it's nice that retail stores who stand to lose next to nothing can come together and get a bit of exposure. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

You can buy Black Panther goods at Walmart?

'It's just a bloody flag' is an odd sentiment.  Flags, by their nature, are symbols of something greater.  Personally I've never been one to get hung up on symbols, nationalist, religious, or otherwise.  But I recognize what a powerful part they play on human nature. 

You can buy Black Panther goods at Walmart?

'It's just a bloody flag' is an odd sentiment.  Flags, by their nature, are symbols of something greater.  Personally I've never been one to get hung up on symbols, nationalist, religious, or otherwise.  But I recognize what a powerful part they play on human nature. 

Don't know but you  can buy on eBay....see the link from Gfted1 

http://stores.ebay.com/Oxxbridge-Galleries/Black-Panther-Party.html

John Milton 

It's like when they added the sticker "Parental Advisory: Explicit Content" on CDs back in the day.

Gromnir was right all along, the slow process of changing the flag is there for a reason.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Always looking for the easiest boogie man to point the masses at. Video games and music have failed too many times. God forbid we look at the mental health situation in South Carolina, or how someone with mental health issues had access to a gun, and I believe racism is systemic of poor education... I would be looking to investigate any of those things. Liberals have really low standards these days.

Nine lives bought us the ability to tear down a flag. Not that I think anyone would ever win in this situation, but I hoped more good to come of this other than removing a flag. I guess I am saying is we lost human lives, and no one is trying to make them count in a meaningful way. Instead we attack the superficial.

I came across this by chance, and never having lived in the US, I don't know what to make of it. While we don't have church or school shootings over here, the mechanism described does apply to the society I know. And with education getting both more expensive and worse (and more oriented toward helping people acquire "marketable skills" rather than... educating them), I'm not sure it's a trend that will soon change.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hm, what marketable skills are they pushing over education?

People never elarn. the more you cry about something the more likely it will succeed when the reason/object of your crying is you being stupid. Hatred. Twitcher.  ES. BIO games.Etc. etc.

You will not make a dent in racism by banning the flag. Only an ignorant idiot thinks that.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

People never elarn. the more you cry about something the more likely it will succeed when the reason/object of your crying is you being stupid. Hatred. Twitcher.  ES. BIO games.Etc. etc.

You will not make a dent in racism by banning the flag. Only an ignorant idiot thinks that.

from a practical pov, you can't actual ban a flag in the usa.  what is being sought is for government buildings and organizations in various states to discontinue the display o' certain flags. many private retailers is voluntarily removing confederate flag items from their stores in support o' the notion that the veneration o' the confederate flag is based on ignorance and intolerance, which is their right.  is not ban o' flag the folks is seeking.  hell, we can't even ban cross burning in the usa. demand that state and local governments discontinue veneration is different than banning. the government is representative o' the People after all.

be that as it may, as can be seen from our earlier posts, we thinks many folks is going 'bout this the wrong way.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hm, what marketable skills are they pushing over education?

I'm sorry, you are right. The process is not exactly like that, but I didn't want to go in-depth into this. The way it works is, under the guise of "homogeneization" (the ECTS system and Bologna plan), what used to be a superior degree before (usually 5 years) that endowed a student with both a working understanding of their field of study and an attractive profile for prospective employers, is now a nigh-useless "general" 3-year degree, whereas previous 3-year degrees were specialized career paths that essentially prepared people to work as technicians.

Current degrees open the door to a one- or two-year master's that is now the bare minimum for anyone to qualify as skilled labor. Master's credits cost roughly 3x as much as regular degree credits, of course. Funny thing is, the people I've spoken to that hold a master's agree that they are useless and they didn't really learn anything that justified the cost increase, outside of, in some cases, networking contacts. In addition, this has led to rampant abuse of internships, which is where people apparently learn most of their "marketable skills". They call this "better adjusting education to respond to the needs of the market" or some such BS.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

My favorite thing in all this are the insane and stupid arguments from both sides.

"The rebel flag represents treason.". I just shake my head. Seems these stupid people don't realize they live in a country that was founded because of treason.

"Here is a video of one african-American who is cool with the flag..."

This is the political equivalent of "I am not racist... I have a black friend."

Also, liberals patting themselves on the back because Wal-Mart and Amazon aren't selling confederate merchandise anymore. So, you are celebrating because 2 mega-corporations decided the positive press of removing these items from their stores is better than the marginal loss in annual sales. I could see it if they said they were going to give X amount of money to the families and church based on how much they have made on that merchandise. But no... They just have to feign a conscience and we are all "well, they do have a heart" or "we are making a real change."

• Like 2

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/bill-chumley-charleston-shooting_n_7653182.html

The NRA in the USA never ceases to be amaze me with its myopic view on gun violence , there solution to this type of attack  is " more guns  for the public " 

This lawmaker did apologize later for his appalling remarks ... 

John Milton 

Without guns the Nazis would never have been defeated. Are you saying you wanted the Nazis to remain in power? That's weird.

uncanny.  we can actual suffer brain-freeze sensation from reading vol posts.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)