Charleston church massacre

Ineth

https://archive.is/Ji99p

Not sure if this is even serious. Poe's law and all that. I meaning, tearing down a monument that has the following text engraved:

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wouldn't take that website seriously.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

OBAMA ENDS CHARLESTON SERVICE WITH SONG WRITTEN BY A SLAVE TRADER. Shouldn't we ban "Amazing Grace," along with the Confederate flag?

Class.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Is what she says true (I am not inclined to take what Coulter says at face value as she is rather crazy)? If it is she has a good point - a good point that many others agree is the right thing to do with anything remotely connected to the flag/slavery.

P.S. I find it funny that the Confederate Flag = connected to slavery but the US Flag isn't... yet, slavery was legal in the US so isn't the US flag itself tarnished?

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S. I find it funny that the Confederate Flag = connected to slavery but the US Flag isn't... yet, slavery was legal in the US so isn't the US flag itself tarnished?

Totally different flags.

civil.war.gif

Union Civil War Flag

50star.gif

Current USA Flag

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Is what she says true (I am not inclined to take what Coulter says at face value as she is rather crazy)? If it is she has a good point - a good point that many others agree is the right thing to do with anything remotely connected to the flag/slavery.

much as the union fought a bloody war in part to abolish slavery, the guy who wrote amazing grace spent the last years o' his life working to abolish slavery in england.  is actual particular appropriate to have amazing grace sung at such a politicized event 'cause it shows that any can be saved, but first you gotta come to grips with your past and your sins.  john newton's path to redemption were long.  the south, as a whole, could possibly learn something from his example.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's always weird to me when people try to justify something by pointing out how bad other things are.  

oh, is not all that weird. as we noted, little kids learn to do it at an early age.  "mary stole a cookie too." it seems that the human animal is, by nature, a petty and spiteful creature. efforts to deflect may likely prove impotent, but those who is facing punishment or reprisals for their misdeeds do not wish to suffer, or at the very least, they do not wish to suffer alone.  hurl, having successfully completed all those child psych courses to become a teacher is no doubt aware that kiddie brains do not develop the necessary connections for complex morality til they is pre-teen... and possible later.  kids is all psychopaths-- they got an excuse.  unfortunate, adults has difficulty unlearning behaviours, so instead they justify.  point out the misdeeds o' our fellows is no longer the churlish behavior o' pint-sized psychopaths in need o' a nap, but instead a matter o' fairness, equity or some other ****amamie gobbledygook.  

just a theory... and only slight joking.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's always weird to me when people try to justify something by pointing out how bad other things are.

Well, sometimes pointing out hypocrisy is fun - like in international affairs when the US condemns anyone :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't understand why a local school is debating changing the name of Robert E. Lee Elementary. Have I unwittingly aided and abetted racism by watching the Dukes of Hazzard every Saturday night in the early 80's ... Bo and Luke's General Lee has a confederate flag on the roof of the car. Am I evil and a bigot now.  

well,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2513884-bubba-watson-says-hell-remove-confederate-flag-from-his-general-lee-car?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

a guy named bubba is painting over the flag.  

HA! Good Fun!

I don't understand why a local school is debating changing the name of Robert E. Lee Elementary. Have I unwittingly aided and abetted racism by watching the Dukes of Hazzard every Saturday night in the early 80's ... Bo and Luke's General Lee has a confederate flag on the roof of the car. Am I evil and a bigot now.  

well,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2513884-bubba-watson-says-hell-remove-confederate-flag-from-his-general-lee-car?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

a guy named bubba is painting over the flag.  

HA! Good Fun!

Epic Times - Dukes of Hazzard Star Rips TV Land for dropping show reruns

John Schneider is blasting TV Land for its decision to erase from its schedule — due its depiction of the Confederate flag — reruns of The Dukes of Hazzard, the wholesome show that made the actor a teen idol in the 1980s.

The Dukes of Hazzard was and is no more a show seated in racism than Breaking Bad was a show seated in reality,” Schneider told The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday.

TV Land confirmed Wednesday that it pulled the show in the aftermath of the June 17 shooting in Charleston, S.C., perpetrated by Dylann Roof, who was a fan of the Confederacy, known in the 19th century for its defense of slavery.

Schneider says his residuals from the show “have never been much to write home about,” but he would like the show to persist because of the old-fashioned values it promotes, such as honesty, courage, chivalry, rebelliousness and the like. Those who seek to malign the show because the famous car it featured had a Confederate flag painted on the roof are missing the point, he says.

“I am saddened that one angry and misguided individual can cause one of the most beloved television shows in the history of the medium to suddenly be seen in this light,” Schneider said Wednesday. “Are people who grew up watching the show now suddenly racists? Will they have to go through a detox and a 12-step program to kick their Dukes habit? ‘Hi… My name is John. I’m a Dukesoholic.’”

Me and Bo had the same thought. If only Roscoe were here, he would know what to do. 

I'm surprised Bubba Watson would paint over it, but it seems this whole thing has gone beyond the event horizon. As a public figure, if he were to leave it, it would send the wrong message.   

All Stop. On Screen.

The wrong message of not being bullied by nazis? As a Kanadian, I don't give a crap about Confederate flag or whatnot but this beyond evil.

But, nazis will nazis.

Keep waving that Amerikan flag  which is a symbol of much worse things than the Confederate flag could ever do including slavery.

Keep waving that Amerikan flag  which is a symbol of much worse things than the Confederate flag could ever do including slavery.

??? What is the American a symbol of that's so bad?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

??? What is the American a symbol of that's so bad?

Yes I am also interested in  what Volo means?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"What is the American a symbol of that's so bad?"

\

Slavery occured in the country of Amerika.

Amerika likes to go around bombing en masse other countries.

Amerika  has a racist history.

L0L The fact you guys believe that nonsense that the Confederate flag is 'tainted' by racism but the Amerikan flag isn't is beyond ridiculous.

I know when I watched Dukes of Hazard I never got the impression that they were racist nor did it ever occur to me the reason why they had the flag symbol on their car was because of their hatred for black people.

If anything, the DOH protagnists would likely have  opposed any KKK . Racists, my ass.

I am proud to be an American and I wear my flag proudly.  I take part in the pledge of allegiance and the star spangle banner regularly and with pride.  But of course I understand that the same symbol can have a very different meaning in other parts of the world and/or time.  

Sometimes symbols become too overwhelmingly negative.  The swastika has been slowly phased out of many Buddhist temples around the world because of what the Nazis did.  Is it fair that such an ancient symbol has been tarnished in such a way?  Probably not, but such is life.   

• Like 2

'Such is life'. Such a cop out weak ass attitude.

Thank godless that  the anti slavers in the old days didn't have that kind of attitude. "Slavery is legal. Oh well. Such is life." *shrug* LMAO

Oh, the Nazis murdered millions of people. Such is life. *shrug* LAME AND EVIL.

anybody know what the south carolina flag looked like circa 1860?  we don't.   if folks in south carolina were continuing to venerate their southern traditions (whatever those might be) by honoring their oldie state flag, we doubt any would object.  

the american civil war lasted half a decade.  the confederate battle flag only became a symbol during and after the american civil war.  tell us that the confederate flag represents all the grand traditions o' the south is utter bs, just as the revisionist history concerning why the south fought the civil war is bs.  most nations, sadly, has committed crimes, but how many nations exist to perpetuate a crime?  in 1861 it were less obvious to mostest folks just how terrible and dehumanizing were the institution o' slavery.  this ain't 1861.  we know better.  you can read all the existential philosophers and talk 'bout moral relativism and whatnot, but there is certain crimes that is inherent dehumanizing whether they were accepted traditions for years or centuries.  the south fought to uphold slavery.  venerate their battle flag and let the southern pride wash over you.

dukes o' hazard?  'course the show weren't promoting slavery, or racism, but that ain't the point is it?  the confederate flag were such a ubiquitous symbol o' the south that to have the confederate battle flag emblazoned on the roof o' a car in 1979 were hardly shocking.  am not sure o' the age o' folks like manifested, but even Gromnir were young in 1979.  we sure as hell didn't understand the full implications o' the confederate flag as a symbol.  

tell you what, google bugs bunny and black face and see what video clips is available.  how many o' those cartoons were still being shown on tv long into the 70s and early 80s?  chances are if you were old enough to see dukes o' hazard, you were likely old enough to see such cartoons, and as a kid, you likely laughed w/o knowing why they were wrong.  so, a kid watching duke's o' hazard as a kid and not seeing a problem don't surprise us in the least. kinda makes the problems wore though, not better.  while we doubt it were intentional, romanticizing a symbol o' slave culture to a generation o' kids is not the kinda thing we would brag 'bout if we had been part o' the show.

now keep in mind that Gromnir observed earlier in this thread how the confederate battle flag becoming an issue again in 2015 were ridiculous, but compare continued veneration o' the US flag to the confederate flag is equal stoopid.  is a battle flag that is being venerated.  the battle were 'bout slavery.  wanna make US flag, Japanese flag or even Kanadian flags symbols o' evil don't take much imagination.  congrats.  the thing is, Kanada were not born o' a desire to commit genocide 'gainst aboriginal people.  did such genocide happen?  sure, but to reduce the kanadian flag to a symbol o' genocide would be, in our estimation, unfair... though we get that kanadian natives no doubt feel different.  even so, the red and white maple leaf banner were not adopted as the battle flag in a war o' extermination o' native peoples.  by contrast, the confederate flag, not existing as any kinda symbol before 1861, were adopted by a group o' folks trying to maintain a slave culture.

*shrug*

the fight over the confederate flag at this time is a distraction.  is much bigger and more meaningful problems.  even so, don't kid yourself that veneration o' the confederate flag is the same as veneration o' the US flag or kanadian flag.  

*chuckle*

three years ago we were on one o' our lengthy hiatuses from these boards.  three years ago, to the day, we were back home... our original home in Pine Ridge.  we were visiting family and while we did not intend to be home for the 4th o' july, it worked out that way.  we had rented a car from budget rentals at the pierre regional airport location... got ourselves a 2009 mustang convertible.  *shrug*  we would never buy a convertible, but rent?  why not, eh?  anywho, within a day o' being home, our rental were demolished.  get a handful o' folks to throw about 50 frozen apples at a car can result in a rather impressive amount o' damage.  budget and Gromnir is no longer on speaking terms.

pick your symbol.  what did the mustang represent to the folks who destroyed it?  excess? greed? America?  why apples?  well, you see, apples is a thin skin o' red on the outside, but is white on the inside. get it?  folks angry with Gromnir were making a... colorful statement on the 4th o' July.  symbols is important.

anywho, happy 4th... gonna go celebrate.

HA! Good Fun!

ps  funny aside for folks not familiar with sd, pierre is pronounced same as peer even though is named for a french guy.  am not sure how many elementary school kids memorizing state capitals has been taught wrong. 

• Like 2

I was 6 for most of '79, memorizing incorrect state capital pronunciations, incorrectly associating the Confederate flag with geography. That is an important distinction, that the symbol didn't exist prior to 1861. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.