Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect good writing from video games in general.

Moreover, I'd venture, it's the consumers' responsibility to demand quality work for their bucks. If we pay for ****ty content, that's all we'll get, because ****ty content is always easier and cheaper to produce than quality work.

Seeing as the best selling games are the likes of Call of Duty X, Sports, and Bethesda looking for good writing from AAA games is like looking for good writing in a Michael Bay or Zack Snyder film. Smaller games haven't got much better IMO, with Divinity OS and Wasteland 2 having pretty mediocre writing despite being fun.

And yes, it a your responsibility to make sure that what you buy isn't a complete piece of ****. Which is why having a variety of tools, such as YouTube videos showing how the game plays, that help one get a feel for the game is a good thing.

...So?

You've lost me.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I do think Rockstar actually has a solid direction when it comes to storylines and writing.  Sure, they are basically clinging on to Scorsese films and Boyz in the Hood to create their mythos, but it is clear they are doing the research.  It actually comes across as a bit too serious for me, I'd rather see the fun that Volition brings to the table.  Outright mockery for the win.

• Like 1

Just to be clear what exactly is the issue with hookers in GTAV?

The original issue that was raised by Polygon, which I initially agreed with and now don't, was that many hookers are victims of abuse in RL so why include them in game where they get abused/killed by the player

What issue with hookers in GTAV are you debating?

Is always some fuss about their portrayal in the games. They're just functional NPCs, like the mooks you slaughter, but yet some people get wound up about it. You're going to have a real thin list of things to create a setting with if you're to avoid including people who are abused in RL.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just to be clear what exactly is the issue with hookers in GTAV?

The original issue that was raised by Polygon, which I initially agreed with and now don't, was that many hookers are victims of abuse in RL so why include them in game where they get abused/killed by the player

What issue with hookers in GTAV are you debating?

Is always some fuss about their portrayal in the games. They're just functional NPCs, like the mooks you slaughter, but yet some people get wound up about it. You're going to have a real thin list of things to create a setting with if you're to avoid including people who are abused in RL.

I agree, another reason why that Polygon article is misplaced is think of homeless people. They are victims of RL circumstances and you can kill them in GTAV ...so there are many groups of people in GTAV that are victims of some sort of abuse in RL it seems inconsistent to just single out Hookers 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hm. Kinda hard to tell where that one is coming from. Certainly a bit of a jab at GG, but there also seems to be a bit of a jab at the other side.

Ah well. Just a bit of harmless ribbing either way. Hopefully no-one will take it too seriously.

Y do u attack B@man? He is Based! U r a fa-

As amusing as the thought of The Riddler raging about being called names on the internet is, this is how octogenarians and Fox News think people write on the internet.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I'd say a large part of the gaming demographic cares very little about the writing.  Hence the games at the top of the charts.  

That's why it is actually important to both expand the demographic reach of video games and support more niche products that appeal to you individually.

I would go a step further and say a large portion of that demographic doesn't know good writing at all. They are the same people that keep Michale Bay in business in Hollywood.

I also do not care for GTA, but I loved RRR and enjoy Max Payne. However, I like westerns so I am more forgiving with RRR. Max Payne feels like a guilty pleasure.

• Like 1

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect good writing from video games in general.

Moreover, I'd venture, it's the consumers' responsibility to demand quality work for their bucks. If we pay for ****ty content, that's all we'll get, because ****ty content is always easier and cheaper to produce than quality work.

Seeing as the best selling games are the likes of Call of Duty X, Sports, and Bethesda looking for good writing from AAA games is like looking for good writing in a Michael Bay or Zack Snyder film. Smaller games haven't got much better IMO, with Divinity OS and Wasteland 2 having pretty mediocre writing despite being fun.

And yes, it a your responsibility to make sure that what you buy isn't a complete piece of ****. Which is why having a variety of tools, such as YouTube videos showing how the game plays, that help one get a feel for the game is a good thing.

...So?

You've lost me.

Not sure how your points relate to mine.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'd say a large part of the gaming demographic cares very little about the writing.  Hence the games at the top of the charts.  

That's why it is actually important to both expand the demographic reach of video games and support more niche products that appeal to you individually.  

^So, um, there.

That's why we need diversity.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

"Interesting, well I hope he loses the lawsuit, the last thing we want is websites like Kotaku to be closed down. Its important that basically almost  any website is allowed to flourish, how else would we get dissenting views on topics?"

I bet your attitude would be different if it was Harriet Hogan who was  doing the suing.

"No, the two are inextricably linked. Hogan was caught having sex with his wife's friend, I find it amusing this video surfaced. He deserves the negative media attention...unless you consider this behavior acceptable?"

Same as above. If Hogan was female you would be on the girl's side. EVIL.

"The guy had sex with his friends wife, I don't think that is right. Now there is a video about this and suddenly the company who are hosting the video is the " bad guy " and legally could be forced to close down. I don't agree with that"

\

So posting nude vids of the unwilling is a-ok? Weren't you anti The Fappening? Why are you a sexist? EVIL X2.

"So in summary I have less understanding to Hogan being embarrassed because he was having sex with his friends wife, its not hard to understand"

So, if Jennifer lawrence was having an affair on her video you woudl okay with her nudes being shared with the world? L0L I don't believe that for a second. And, if so... EVIL X3.

"But there is also a moral aspect to the whole incident"

\

I agree. Gawker and their supporters have no morals. NONE. EVIL TO THE CORE X4.

"And its only hypocrisy if you seriously think the Zoe Quinn furor is the same as Hogan having sex with his friends wife..and clearly I don't think they are the same. In fact its disingenuous to compare the two incidents "

Yeah, she cheated multiple times, released her own nudies,, and you defended her while calling those who chjasitized  and shared her pics/vid (which she willingly made and released) for being scum. Hypocrite much? But, oh yeah, she's a girl.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd say a large part of the gaming demographic cares very little about the writing. Hence the games at the top of the charts.

Not following how the first part leads to needing to expand the demographics of games (sucking cash out of people is the best reason).

Supporting niche stuff is common sense, even if it is condemned to a certain level.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^So, um, there.

I would agree if it was about expanding the market for new potential segments and new demographics, kinda like Nintendo did with the Wii, but without trying to change the existing ones. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

^So, um, there.

I would agree if it was about expanding the market for new potential segments and new demographics, kinda like Nintendo did with the Wii, but without trying to change the existing ones. 

I'm not entirely convinced "crappy portrayal of sex workers" is the bedrock any game series was built on.

GTA without killing hookers after using them wouldn't be GTA. Is an iconic activity, even non gamers know of it.

^So, um, there.

I'm not entirely convinced "crappy portrayal of sex workers" is the bedrock any game series was built on.

Perhaps, but that's the result of any platform or industry that is non-centralised and relatively free. There's going to be a whole a lot of stuff you do not like. 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

...So?

You've lost me.

Not sure how your points relate to mine.

I was contesting the first, at least when it comes to AAA games(Which GTA is), and agreeing with the second.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Perhaps, but that's the result of any platform or industry that is non-centralised and relatively free. There's going to be a whole a lot of stuff you do not like. 

Is it not the consumers' responsibility to make their preferences clearly known to the producers, however?

Consumers have. They like what GTA offers. That's why SJWs constantly to ban it. They also attempt to bully, intimidate, threat, murder, and do everything else they can to end it. It's why they bash women  - espicially if those women are prostitutes - repeatedly and often. It is evil and sick.

• Like 1

They also attempt to bully, intimidate, threat, murder, and do everything else they can to end it.

:huh:

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

You could quite easily remove Hookers from GTAV and it would make NO real  impact to the game, but the question is I haven't seen a valid reason for removing them. 

If there was a reasonable SJ motivation I would support it but all the justifications are contradictory 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Interesting, well I hope he loses the lawsuit, the last thing we want is websites like Kotaku to be closed down. Its important that basically almost  any website is allowed to flourish, how else would we get dissenting views on topics?"

I bet your attitude would be different if it was Harriet Hogan who was  doing the suing.

"No, the two are inextricably linked. Hogan was caught having sex with his wife's friend, I find it amusing this video surfaced. He deserves the negative media attention...unless you consider this behavior acceptable?"

Same as above. If Hogan was female you would be on the girl's side. EVIL.

"The guy had sex with his friends wife, I don't think that is right. Now there is a video about this and suddenly the company who are hosting the video is the " bad guy " and legally could be forced to close down. I don't agree with that"

\

So posting nude vids of the unwilling is a-ok? Weren't you anti The Fappening? Why are you a sexist? EVIL X2.

"So in summary I have less understanding to Hogan being embarrassed because he was having sex with his friends wife, its not hard to understand"

So, if Jennifer lawrence was having an affair on her video you woudl okay with her nudes being shared with the world? L0L I don't believe that for a second. And, if so... EVIL X3.

"But there is also a moral aspect to the whole incident"

\

I agree. Gawker and their supporters have no morals. NONE. EVIL TO THE CORE X4.

"And its only hypocrisy if you seriously think the Zoe Quinn furor is the same as Hogan having sex with his friends wife..and clearly I don't think they are the same. In fact its disingenuous to compare the two incidents "

Yeah, she cheated multiple times, released her own nudies,, and you defended her while calling those who chjasitized  and shared her pics/vid (which she willingly made and released) for being scum. Hypocrite much? But, oh yeah, she's a girl.

Ya ya Volo

I have already accepted that Gawker shouldn't have posted the video, lets move on now   :yes:

John Milton 

Consumers have. They like what GTA offers. That's why SJWs constantly to ban it.

Okay. "SJWs" are not "consumers" (presumably, they're sustained by sheer evil being pumped through their veins or something, and therefore have no need for worldly possessions); moreover, they hate "consumers" with such a fiery passion that they want to ban everything "consumers" like, just for kicks. That's a totally sane thing to believe in.

You're an idiot, news at 9.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Okay. "SJWs" are not "consumers" (presumably, they're sustained by sheer evil being pumped through their veins or something, and therefore have no need for worldly possessions); moreover, they hate "consumers" with such a fiery passion that they want to ban everything "consumers" like, just for kicks."

GTA is successful. It doesn't need to be changed because people already want to buy it so the SJWs are just trying to  tell other people what they can and cannot play. EVIL.  Nobody I know of is trying to take SJW favored games away and those whoa re are scumbags too.

btw, When you try to murder something and proclaim success then yeah you definitely hate it. So, no doubt about it, SJWs loathe gamers. They have admitted it.

\

You calling me an idiot just proves the point about how double standard that SJWs live by. :)

"I have already accepted that Gawker shouldn't have posted the video, lets move on now "

That's not good enough. You now need to take the next step. Admit they need to be DESTROYED for their EVIL actions.

CISLz_Y7_WUAEw_Hs1_jpg_large.jpg

...the **** is that?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Speaking of Batman and PC performance issues:

1435225558146-0.png

1435225558146-1.png

The avatar on the second screenshot fits perfectly.

• Like 6

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy