Journalism and bias in the gaming industry

Blarghagh

Why does the reason you hope he loses the lawsuit have nothing to do with the lawsuit itself? Shouldn't the merits of the lawsuit be evaluated before saying you hope he loses?

No, the two are inextricably linked. Hogan was caught having sex with his wife's friend, I find it amusing this video surfaced. He deserves the negative media attention...unless you consider this behavior acceptable?

I don't want Kotaku to close down because of Gawker getting sued over this.  What is there is evaluate ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What does that have to do with the legal merits of the lawsuit? :huh:

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

What does that have to do with the legal merits of the lawsuit? :huh:

Why should Gawker get sued for publishing this video?  I understand there is a valid legal case but I don't think in this case its reasonable 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That is what I was trying to ascertain from you, since your previously stated reason for wanting him to lose the lawsuit had absolutely nothing to do with the merits (or lack thereof) of his case, which I thought was rather weird and illogical. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

That is what I was trying to ascertain from you, since your previously stated reason for wanting him to lose the lawsuit had absolutely nothing to do with the merits (or lack thereof) of his case, which I thought was rather weird and illogical. :)

]

No nothing weird about my view :)

I am fine with saying some lawsuits have  no merit but have consequences for the people being sued...like this one 

John Milton 

Sure...but those ancillary consequences shouldn't (and don't) at all affect the validity of his case: if it were a completely different lawsuit that you did feel has great validity...would you still say the case is "unreasonable" or should be dismissed simply because of the potential consequences it may have upon the company? If your answer is still yes...well...um, okay, I don't understand you, but at least you're consistent in placing the value of the corporation above the value of the (potentially) wronged individual(s) and I can sort of respect that...if your answer is no, then you shouldn't be using that as your (stated) reason, as it would demonstrate that you're inconsistently applying it dependent upon the biases you have towards the parties involved. Which is why I don't think it's a particularly logical reason in the case of the latter. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus

Don't see the point of the argument, Bruce is just skirting around the fact that he is an unrepentant SJW that will support them in all endeavors. That or he gets a kick from playing devil's advocate for us 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sure...but those ancillary consequences shouldn't (and don't) at all affect the validity of his case: if it were a completely different lawsuit that you did feel has great validity...would you still say the case is "unreasonable" or should be dismissed simply because of the potential consequences it may have upon the company? If your answer is still yes...well...um, okay, I don't understand you, but at least you're consistent in placing the value of the corporation above the value of the (potentially) wronged individual(s) and I can sort of respect that...if your answer is no, then you shouldn't be using that as your (stated) reason, as it would demonstrate that you're inconsistently applying it dependent upon the biases you have towards the parties involved. Which is why I don't think it's a particularly logical reason in the case of the latter. :)

Oh no please don't misunderstand me, certain lawsuits are valid and definitely not unreasonable

Also remember this whole discussion around the validity of this particular lawsuit is subjective as its my opinion, not a legal one 

My view is actually simple one to understand. I don't want Kotaku to close down because its holding company Gawker gets sued into annihilation :geek:  

John Milton 

Don't see the point of the argument, Bruce is just skirting around the fact that he is an unrepentant SJW that will support them in all endeavors. That or he gets a kick from playing devil's advocate for us 

The guy had sex with his friends wife, I don't think that is right. Now there is a video about this and suddenly the company who are hosting the video is the " bad guy " and legally could be forced to close down. I don't agree with that 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Why does the reason you hope he loses the lawsuit have nothing to do with the lawsuit itself? Shouldn't the merits of the lawsuit be evaluated before saying you hope he loses?

No, the two are inextricably linked. Hogan was caught having sex with his wife's friend, I find it amusing this video surfaced. He deserves the negative media attention...unless you consider this behavior acceptable?

I don't want Kotaku to close down because of Gawker getting sued over this.  What is there is evaluate ?

Gawker going down like this would be quite the fitting end since their behaviour has been repugnant.

What i find more interesting is that you think that some celebrity leaks/sextapes are ok to be leaked if their behaviour is unacceptable. Should we abandon the right of privacy, Bruce? Should our behaviours be judged on the whims of journalists and in the end, the angry mob, Bruce?

If true to these ideals, then during the Fappening in last august/september, did you sort out between which celebrity pictures were ok to look at or not? Were Jennifer Lawrence morals good enough for you for not looking at her?

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Gawker going down like this would be quite the fitting end since their behaviour has been repugnant.

What i find more interesting is that you think that some celebrity leaks/sextapes are ok to be leaked if their behaviour is unacceptable. Should we abandon the right of privacy, Bruce? Should our behaviours be judged on the whims of journalists and in the end, the angry mob, Bruce?

If true to these ideals, then during the Fappening in last august/september, did you sort out between which celebrity pictures were ok to look at or not? Were Jennifer Lawrence morals good enough for you for not looking at her?

I never watched a single video about those celebrities leaks ( and I haven't watched the Hogan video for the record ), were those videos about people having affairs? My understanding is that  they were personal videos with the celebrities legitimate partners. I don't see the connection to the Hogan video? 

So in summary I have less understanding to Hogan being embarrassed because he was having sex with his friends wife, its not hard to understand :)

John Milton 

The media should stop being rewarded by releasing sex tapes, nude pics, etc of celebrities. They make money off this stuff. It is borderline blackmail without contacting the person you are blackmailing.

I am not a Hogan fan, but on this one I am pulling for him. I don't agree with what he was doing, but Gawker didn't release it for morals... They wanted those clicks.

• Like 2

The media should stop being rewarded by releasing sex tapes, nude pics, etc of celebrities. They make money off this stuff. It is borderline blackmail without contacting the person you are blackmailing.

I am not a Hogan fan, but on this one I am pulling for him. I don't agree with what he was doing, but Gawker didn't release it for morals... They wanted those clicks.

Yes I don't disagree with that, they posted the video for clicks 

But there is also a moral aspect to the whole incident 

Hogan should just accept he was caught  "with his hand in the cookie-jar " and move on 

John Milton 

I never watched a single video about those celebrities leaks ( and I haven't watched the Hogan video for the record ), were those videos about people having affairs? My understanding is that  they were personal videos with the celebrities legitimate partners. I don't see the connection to the Hogan video? 

So in summary I have less understanding to Hogan being embarrassed because he was having sex with his friends wife, its not hard to understand :)

Of course you haven't Bruce. You're a good boy, aren't you? A very, very good boy!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hogan should just accept he was caught "with his hand in the cookie-jar " and move on

Hogan has always been a jerk, and he always will be. Anyone that associates with him should be wary. I would be suing because of the invasion of privacy. I doubt Hogan cares he was caught red handed.

• Like 1

Hogan should just accept he was caught "with his hand in the cookie-jar " and move on

Hogan has always been a jerk, and he always will be. Anyone that associates with him should be wary. I would be suing because of the invasion of privacy. I doubt Hogan cares he was caught red handed.

Fair enough, you are probably right about his moral compass 

John Milton 

What the holy ****, Bruce? This is the worst piece of hypocrisy I have ever seen. So this is kinda okay because Hogan was cheating? He gets to have his reputation ruined and all of his private videos and pics plastered all over the internet and harassed because of it? Then it becomes "sure they posted it just for clicks but he's got no morals anyway because I don't like cheaters?"

This is literally what happened with Zoe ****ing Quinn. Your double standards are showing in the worst possible way.

• Like 3

Not knowing Rocky doesnt mean you are out of touch with pop culture. It just means you are out of touch. It is an iconic piece of film. There is a statue up of it in Philly.

The thing is that they knew enough of Rocky to make a quip about how it would be better to communicate to them in terms of more obscure directors which are lauded for their talent. So they clearly knew that Rocky as part of pop culture and they used the contrast to communicate a bit about themselves. Namely that they are pretentious twats that consume not for joy but because they want to feel superior to others. I don't think that they meant to come off that way but nature will out.

BTW, if you need a good contrast of what an actual cinephile behaves like you only need to look to our own Amentep who manages to be passionate about film without being smug about it. Kudos.

Well, Amentep is like the coolest person in general on these entire forums, so that's only natural, really... :p

Thanks for the compliments. :)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What the holy ****, Bruce? This is the worst piece of hypocrisy I have ever seen. So this is kinda okay because Hogan was cheating? He gets to have his reputation ruined and all of his private videos and pics plastered all over the internet and harassed because of it? Then it becomes "sure they posted it just for clicks but he's got no morals anyway because I don't like cheaters?"

This is literally what happened with Zoe ****ing Quinn. Your double standards are showing in the worst possible way.

Bro, are you really expecting consistency from Bruce?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

No need to use profanity to make a point TN, lets try to be civil ?

And its only hypocrisy if you seriously think the Zoe Quinn furor is the same as Hogan having sex with his friends wife..and clearly I don't think they are the same. In fact its disingenuous to compare the two incidents  

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

So... uh... Kotaku's parent company might be dead if Hulk Hogan wins a law suit.

Specifically because Gawker posted the Hogan sextape on their website, and Hogan is suing for 129 million dollars.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/hulk-hogans-129-million-sex-tape-battle-could-have-lasting-implications-for-privacy-attitudes/story-fno61i58-1227402778077

They should settle out of court. In other words, in the ring.

• Like 3

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Nuances and context KP, these are words you have never seemed able to quite understand 

John Milton 

So in summary I have less understanding to Hogan being embarrassed because he was having sex with his friends wife, its not hard to understand original.gif

So you're okay with people videotaping in secret and without consent (like they did Hogan) and subsequently releasing it to the public as long as the person involved was doing something you declare immoral?

That's kind of a despicable position to take, I hope you realize. You're essentially saying that personal rights only matter for moral people and immoral people can have their rights violated because they are immoral.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Nuances and context KP, these are words you have never seemed able to quite understand

If "understanding" those terms mean I'm simultaneously able to justify using prostitutes while going on about how hookers in fiction is harmful or believing that airing private affairs is ok when it's a man but not when it's a woman, then I don't think I want to understand what your twisted interpretations of "context" and "nuance" are.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands