Unfortunately, Metacritic's score aggregation methodology is biased, and there appears to be a double standard for indie games vs. mainstream. I'm predicting average score of 84. I expect it will be mostly well reviewed, but we'll see a few lowball scores from the mainstream  press complaining about "too many words" and it being a nostalgia clone like this idiotic preview claims.  

Ah one of those folks who don't read books, and requires their entertainment to be in very small doses with lots of bangs, explosions, and more explosions.  Almost shocking right?

You guys know that metacritic doesn't consider user-scores that stroll too far from the average score, right?

So 0 and 1 votings will get ignored in the meta score. That's why it's a "meta" score and not an "average" score after all.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I have a strong feeling the game is going to get a 666.

But really, the more I think about it the more I don't believe in numbered scores. Different sorts of game appeal to different people and establishing an universal metric by which all games are scored is an inherently problematic task because folks don't all like the same things. Written or recorded reviews with no number values attached force the reader or viewer to engage with the material rather than zooming their eyes directly to the grand abstraction of the game, the score. I was worried the bonus question would find itself into this conversation, and 'lo it has.

If we are going to give the game a score after we play it, let's not do it because of Metacritic. Let's praise what we lose and critique what we don't. Of course I am so happy to support more great RPGs from Obsidian, we shouldn't say it is a 11/10 game just because Obsidian Entertainment released it.

TLDR: Don't worry about the score and just enjoy the game.

Edited by .Leif.

From reviewers it would be in ~90 range for sure. From players i'd say if the game is not multiplayer orientiert they always give fair grade. So i hope for 85+, but if game doesnt deserve it they will grade it less.

wow, a straight up 10/10 review on IGN russia. That's a good start. ^_^

As much as I just wrote about not wanting to sweat the review scores, that's great to hear. Now I just need to translate the article so I can see what they had to say.

Edited by .Leif.

Early to mid 80's. The fact that it's a niche product - "a return to ie games" won't stop people who hate those games from reviewing it.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I'm actually looking forward to Angry Joe's thoughts on the product. Most have him down as a pleb reviewer but it's pretty clear he's passionate about his hobby at least. And he's been really enthusiastic on previous looks at PoE.

I'm actually looking forward to Angry Joe's thoughts on the product. Most have him down as a pleb reviewer but it's pretty clear he's passionate about his hobby at least. And he's been really enthusiastic on previous looks at PoE.

As much as I appreciate Angry Joe's stances don't like his persona as much during his hype or hate videos. It becomes a bit of a cycle. He gets hyped for X because he play-tests it somewhere. He posts an update talking about what they're doing with it and what we might be able to expect to see. And finally the game is a total flop and Joe wigs out at the camera in a costume. Hopefully he chills out with time.

Yeah, Angry Joe is ****. His gimmick is basically a manipulative psychological trick that makes people more likely to accept what he says, regardless of the content.

Those are user reviews, Katarack21. They don't mean anything.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I disagree, they reflect the opinions of users. As time passes and the user reviews build, you will get something of a picture of what the average gamer thinks. Right now at least some of those user reviews are from people who had the pre-release build.

Currently sitting at 8.4, with 75 positive reviews and 14 negative reviews.

There is no negative reviews, only negative scores...and I suspect that's troll who entered 0. Looking at the people who wrote something...a single one of them has more than 2 reviews. lol.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Currently sitting at 8.4, with 75 positive reviews and 14 negative reviews.

There is no negative reviews, only negative scores...and I suspect that's troll who entered 0. Looking at the people who wrote something...a single one of them has more than 2 reviews. lol.

Yes, those are facts. I'm not saying anybody should bow down and worship what Metacritic says at any point let alone right now. They just provide an interesting snapshot of what's going on at this moment. Some of the people with review copies were streamers with 30 subscribers; there almost 1,000 review keys that Paradox had. So what if none of those guys has done reviews in the past? The review embargo is up and some people who do not work for review sites have had copies for a week now; I'm willing to accept that some of them went and entered in an metacritic user review when they woke up.

It will get around 90 and maybe more. If this game is good there will be at least 70000 backers who will want it to have a squeal  and to be a commercial success .

Even if tenth of us will post metascores the troll scores won't matter at all.

Just remember to post your scores after you made your opinion about the game.That way It will sell better.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I disagree, they reflect the opinions of users. As time passes and the user reviews build, you will get something of a picture of what the average gamer thinks. Right now at least some of those user reviews are from people who had the pre-release build.

They don't matter in that they're not actual reviews of the game. Sure, the user score will influence consumers, but the user reviews that are up now, before release, aren't reflective of the quality of the game.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]