What you did today

Blarghagh

Gandalf got knackered after a few minutes of fighting. Vader's got stamina. And reach.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Eh, Gandalf the Grey DID defeat the Balrog, and I have serious doubts Vader could do that.

...but he died in the process. Hm. I'd still give it to Gandalf to at least get the job done, even if perished doing so. Vader, I don't feel so confident about.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Vader would die killing Gandalf the Grey and Turn into Jedi Master Vader the Light.

Anyhow, check into all I'd need to hike up to the San Gorgonio summit.  Now, I need to go buy the parking permit and then call the ranger station to find out when I can get there tomorrow to pick up the permit I have to carry on my person.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Vader would die killing Gandalf the Grey and Turn into Jedi Master Vader the Light.

Anyhow, check into all I'd need to hike up to the San Gorgonio summit.  Now, I need to go buy the parking permit and then call the ranger station to find out when I can get there tomorrow to pick up the permit I have to carry on my person.

How long and far is the hike? Do you camp and pitch a tent  or are there cabins you use, I love hiking but only for 2 days at most :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's only about ten miles up, so just a day hike.

Nice those are my favorite hikes, just a day but a good full day 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How long and far is the hike? Do you camp and pitch a tent  or are there cabins you use, I love hiking but only for 2 days at most original.gif

Slight tangent: I don't like the "work" of but serious trail backpacking is definitely the only way to really see some of the awesome hidden places. Not something I've done a ton of personally, but yeah...totally awesome. Although sometimes the elevation usually takes a couple days for me to get used to.

Even car-camping, we'd always try to get far far away from the normal track, driving on roads cars probably shouldn't be on, stuff like that. Hubby and I like to feel isolated. If we were the "last people on earth" we'd probably be very happy - for a while anyway. ;)

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As a teenager and in my twenties I did a lot of backpacking along the John Muir Trail and near Yosemite, usually for a week at a time.  But now I'm spoiled and want to sleep on my memory foam mattress in my RV and watch movies while camping.  :p

• Like 2

As a teenager and in my twenties I did a lot of backpacking along the John Muir Trail and near Yosemite, usually for a week at a time.  But now I'm spoiled and want to sleep on my memory foam mattress in my RV and watch movies while camping.   :p

Yeah I have to say that the idea of using an  RV while camping  also resonates with me 

John Milton 

Doesn't seem much like camping when you use an RV

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:lol:

Well I suppose you can always set up a tent outside the RV to make the experience more authentic ?

John Milton 

laughing.gif

Well I suppose you can always set up a tent outside the RV to make the experience more authentic ?

You could put a tent up in your living room, but it doesn't make it camping. tongue.png

I kid, I kid. Seriously though, I have no interest in camping unless the post-apocalyptic wastelands are on us. And I still wouldn't have an interest in camping amid the radiation, radscorpions and killer mutant critters with a taste for flesh, but might not have any say in the matter at that point.1

1Awww, who am I kidding, I'll be killer mutant critter chow within minutes of the post-apocalypse happening - I'd never survive long enough to sleep under the irradiated sky.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

laughing.gif

You could put a tent up in your living room, but it doesn't make it camping. tongue.png

I kid, I kid. Seriously though, I have no interest in camping unless the post-apocalyptic wastelands are on us. And I still wouldn't have an interest in camping amid the radiation, radscorpions and killer mutant critters with a taste for flesh, but might not have any say in the matter at that point.1

1Awww, who am I kidding, I'll be killer mutant critter chow within minutes of the post-apocalypse happening - I'd never survive long enough to sleep under the irradiated sky.

You funny :lol:  

John Milton 

That's even worse to, at least sleeping in it is honest. I've no interest in camping myself, but I understand the idea of it to rough it a bit with nature and so on.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As a teenager and in my twenties I did a lot of backpacking along the John Muir Trail and near Yosemite, usually for a week at a time.  But now I'm spoiled and want to sleep on my memory foam mattress in my RV and watch movies while camping.   :p

Yeah, exactly. Key phrase in there is "teenager and in my twenties."

Hubby really hates driving RV/large vehicles and I don't even want to try, so mostly we just stay in hotels/cabins now. Or snooze in the back of the van/car for a few hours, because we rarely stop anywhere long enough to seriously set up "camp" anyway. Or just stay at home with the cat. Mostly the last one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I love camping. My longest camping trip was around Iceland, 10 days. Despite the temperatures, wind and the freezing rain I slept better in my little tent than in my bed at home, no joke. Same when I camp on my mountain trips above 3000 meters altitude. I'm made for the outdoors.Though having a good tent plays a big role, I spent 350 bucks on my tent and 450 on my sleeping bag. You really shouldn't go cheap on these two items. 

I love camping on the mountains.

mt2_zps914b376c.jpg

And here is the heavier, bigger tent I use for long easy tours where weight/size doesn't play a huge role like it does on mountain climbing trips.

It did a wonderful job in Iceland. 

IMG_5922f_zps6bc6f5a0.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

^ See that's exactly what I love about camping/packing on that level. The views, or private little river pools/lakes all to yourself, and so on. You can't get that tenting in "Campsite #33" slot in some car campground. But it's too much bother for me now. So I just enjoy pictures of other people who still do it. :)

Yeah, that's gorgeous but I got cold just looking at it

Now put a cabin right there and I'm game.

Heh, yup, I usually backpacked in warmer climates/elevations and seasons. Sometimes you'd get some rainshowers, that's about it.

Its only cold the first three days or so, after that you'll adjust. The first day in Iceland I froze my butt off, wind, constant rain showers and temperatures around zero celsius even in summer with no way to get warm was hard, even with good gear you'll eventually get wet down to your bones. After a few days though I didn't even notice the rain anymore, I didn#t care about being soaking wet all the time and got used to being constantly exposed to the cold elements. You'll adjust if you have to. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

My husband does not adjust, he leaves. Although oddly, he's the sort who can jump into an almost-freezing temp. lake for a swim, yet will whine endlessly that he's freezing/too cold to do anything if it's 68F and the breeze is strong enough to ruffle his hair. :lol: