Pax East Stream Feedback thread

Why do u need walking when u have

-Running

-Slow mode

-Stealth mode

Stealth mode is good for carefully exploring environments, while running is fine for normal movements

I want to walk while exploring. You know, like in Baldur's Gate: you walk slowly, enjoy beautiful scenery and listen to music and ambient sounds. Why you want to run through level in fast mode is beyond me (unless it is already explored and you have to backtrack). Why create 'beautiful environments' if you want to run through them as fast as possible?

• Like 4

-Running

-Slow mode

-Stealth mode

Stealth mode is good for carefully exploring environments, while running is fine for normal movements

Presumably, you want walking for when you want to walk and not run.

By that same logic, why would you want running when you have "Fast Mode"?

Running absolutely everywhere is a travesty. When you visit your friends, do you jog up the stairs? Run to the toilet? Sprint to the backyard for the barbecue?

Of course you don't.

That'd be annoying, and stupid.

And walking would work better in combat than running. Careful walking in ready stance and it would make combat less chaotic and fast.

Also, this.

This is not a combat speed issue, it is simply the fact that it's utterly ridiculous to sprint everywhere in a close-combat battlefield. In Dragon Age: Origins, the way characters stuck to their opponents and kept facing them was sometimes annoying, but at least it felt more real than people just suddenly sprinting, back turned, abandoning all safety and focus.

Even the IE games with the Boots of Speed ultimate powerwalk 1998 style was better.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I consider it immersion-breaking to be the only person in the world who can't walk, and runs around in inns.

That never broke my immersion in the IE games. Everone in the IE games jogged.

The only exception was PST. And oddly enough, walk mode in PS:T turned the game into a slog.

Edited by Stun

-Running

-Slow mode

-Stealth mode

I consider it immersion-breaking to be the only person in the world who can't walk, and runs around in inns.

Actually, you are not the only person. You are a group of six people madly running around in synchronization in inns, shops and throne rooms. That actually makes it worse, and a bit difficult to take your characters seriously. But hey, I'll live with it until its modded.

That never broke my immersion in the IE games. Everone in the IE games jogged.

The only exception was PST. And oddly enough, walk mode in PS:T turned the game into a slog.

Well, because everyone was walking in that game? :)

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And Btw, Baldur's Gate had crickets  at night too, so i really don't know why you forced him to remove them

Should have clarified.... The crickets are still there at night!  They just don't melt your brain with their loudness anymore.

• Like 21

And Btw, Baldur's Gate had crickets  at night too, so i really don't know why you forced him to remove them

Should have clarified.... The crickets are still there at night!  They just don't melt your brain with their loudness anymore.

Well, i have misunderstood...so happy you didn't remove them  : - ))))

AAA+ Game.

Yes i know, my english sux.

Combat log does not really bother me as I don't pay attention to it to focused on the combat I typically memorize most of the effects or abilities so I know what to do when something happens. I have always done that since the older games and do the same in MMOs. Granted I think if you look at the combat log it means you are not paying attention to the fight from time to time I would look at the combat log because you get them moments like in BG2 walk into room die within seconds lol.

Because the combat log is not in the middle of the screen (and no, I will not forgive them for making that decision), you're right that it's basically impossible to look at it during unpaused combat. However I look at it when paused, and I have it open larger than the default size so I can see a larger sequence of actions. There are soooo many useless lines that cramp it.

• Like 2

I honestly can't imagine how anyone who has played one Infinity Engine game would put the combat log anywhere else than in the center. And the contents could be much better organized.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Well, regarding the running stance i have to say you guys are right, but everyone has his preferences and priorities....

for example i don't care about the lack of a walking mode,

but i don't like the nights being too bright (take stormwall gorge for example or defiance bay seen on stream), and they won't change the night darkness or the running stance only cause of that.

I guess we have to put faith in some mod for this kind of stuff

Edited by Mazisky

Well, regarding the running stance i have to say you guys are right, but everyone has his preferences and priorities....

for example i don't care about the lack of a walking mode,

but i don't like the nights being too bright (take stormwall gorge for example or defiance bay seen on stream), and they won't change the night darkness or the running stance only cause of that.

I guess we have to put faith in some mod for this kind of stuff

I'm pretty sure this would involve hand retouching of the areas, and with so many outdoor areas, there's no way for this to happen quickly/cheaply.

I just read this little report on the PAX presentation: http://nichegamer.com/2015/03/pillars-of-eternity-pax-east-gameplay-video/ and I see the guy noticed something which made an impression on me too - how natural the developers were during the presentation and how they were genuinely having fun demoing the game.

It was a really cool thing to behold, especially when we have so many companies who try to behave like bigshots, bombarding players with meaningless sleazy salesman talk (don't make me link to Witcher 3 interviews or their presentation on this same PAX). The fact that Obsidian devs don't treat their fanbase as if it's composed of retarded children, but instead talk sincerely about their game really counts for me, as it creates a bond between devs and their core public. I hope this sincerity ends up being rewarded with sales coming from word of mouth and player reviews.

I also hope Paradox don't infect Obsidian with their clumsy "PR mojo". I don't know why they believe if they behave like a "AAA company" players will like them better.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 3

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Glad to hear the crickets are still in.

Movement should have been handled like in Torment: Tides of Numenera.  

If you click near, the characters walk. If you click farther away, characters run.

And I don't even touch the subject of acceleration and deceleration while starting to run/stop running.

But this walking business is nothing as bad as the synchronized movement the characters have now when running/starting to run.

If I am not mistaken, Sensuki made a video about how BG handled this situation.

This should be on their high priority list in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

Watching recent videos one thing I wondering, did they completely abandon moving trees/bushes/grassblades etc? It looked so awesome in this video but I haven't really seen it since..

They abandoned with because it was a huge amount of work to make it work properly I think (there was some discussion a while back on the issue). I seem to recall them mentioning that they want to try and do it again for future project.

Damn that's unfortunate. I get that the entire game is a nod to the IE games but the moving foliage really made it feel like they had progressed since the 90's. Still looks a bitbetter than those old games at least

Hopefully they try it if the game gets a sequel

I think I just became a life-long Chris Avellone and Obsidian fan  :grin: 

Also, everybody should watch this!

That's an interesting choice to make. The choice to watch or the choice to not watch?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle