Pax East Stream Feedback thread

i dont agree for having to interact with certain characters for the upgrades of the stronghold.

No one said that. I was talking about the NPCs that stay there - the ones that grant the prestige and security bonuses or penalties. If those NPCs are not content, that's really lame.

Just so you guys are aware, everyone who visits your stronghold actually walks around it. You also get hirelings (and companions) that fill the stronghold.

All of those visitors in the menu where actually inside the main hall. We didn't show it off. I don't think these visitors have extensive conversations though. I know you can interact with them.

One thing I was thinking about showing was the other, sharper way you can get rid of the drunkard.

Nice, dai didn't have this, Josephine chick would say this and that are visiting but no one ever showed. So far everything about the stronghold seems better and has more purpose in it than the infamous skyhold.

They probably deliberately wrote the player voice sets with rudimentary lines so that they would 'fit any concept' - that gave them a smaller margin for error and ... the VO that they got for it isn't really that great - swing and a miss. 

Why oh why, did they just not take inspiration from the IWD ones, they are the best voice sets in any RPG that allows you to select your own voice set IMO.

In IWD1 when you clicked on one of your party members repeatedly they eventually broke the fourth wall and told you to piss off (you need to have them set to 'always talk' in the options menu). They had a surprising amount of character.

I have to say I didn't like the female voice sets though. I eventually gave my female party members male voice sets because they became rather annoying.

Really I thought there were a few good female voice sets. Some of the lines were a bit over the top but the voices were nice to listen to at least. Can't say I find the voices of the player voice sets very compelling.

They probably deliberately wrote the player voice sets with rudimentary lines so that they would 'fit any concept' - that gave them a smaller margin for error and ... the VO that they got for it isn't really that great - swing and a miss. 

Why oh why, did they just not take inspiration from the IWD ones, they are the best voice sets in any RPG that allows you to select your own voice set IMO.

I'm kinda bumed out by the lack of dialog lines for PC voices. I really enjoyed all the recorded lines available in NWN2 (expecially voice commands) and IWD for PC characters. I choose the voice depending on the character I wish to roleplay as and if no voices match my role-play preference I simply chose silence. I love battle and death cries during combat a lot and I think they add to the RP experience.

In beta videos I noticed that "Female (Noble)" voice very closely resembles one of the VO available in NWN and IWD which was my favorite, so I'll probably end up using that one. Ofcourse I only heard like 4 words, but it's still better than complete silence. Maybe they will expand on that once the game is out.

I could be mistaken, I might have it confused with another IE game. The 4th wall breaking thing is definitely IWD1 though.

Not an IE game, but Warcraft 3 also had the fourth-wall breaking lines if you 'poked' a unit for long enough. Unique ones for every unit type with a voice and rather fiesty too, but Blizzard's always been quirky that way.

Edited by NothingToSeeHere

Off topic: Justin what medieval/renaissance music do you listen to for inspiration for this soundtrack, if you've used any?

I play a lot of Europa Universalis and I've never liked the music they use, or at least I like original period music better. I am a historian and I'm crazy that way. original.gif

As a result, I've researched period music for most of the periods into which the game's timeline can be broken down, and have playlists that suit the major powers, named like "France Renaissance", "English Early Baroque", etc.

So, if you are looking for Renaissance music, what I use in my playlist for Spain for example is most of the following youtube playlist. I'll admit I download and extract the mp3 files from the videos with a Firefox plugin, because making the playlist in Foobar2000 is more convenient, and you are also insured against videos being deleted/hidden from the public. Unfortunately that's what's happened with most videos that used to be posted of the Spanish Cancionero de Palacio, one of the two big contemporary compendiums of Spanish music of the 15th/early 16th centuries.

This was a much better playlist, but most videos have been hidden by now.

This one is in better shape, here is something that could serve as a Spanish theme, a song devoted to a nobleman from Leon who was very successful against the Moors:

For Italian:

One of my favorite Italian songs: "I don't buy hope any more, for it's a false bargain"

Justin, please do a variation of this and have it played in Vaillian inns! wink.png

Some English themes:

There's a lot more on youtube. My methodology is to look in wikipedia for names of composers and song books which I can then google for, listen to a few things to get a feeling of the style.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 4

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I could be mistaken, I might have it confused with another IE game. The 4th wall breaking thing is definitely IWD1 though.

Many of NPCs in BG1 also break 4th wall if you click on them long enough. I never tried it in BG2.

'What is this mouse magic that makes me do your bidding?'

Watching recent videos one thing I wondering, did they completely abandon moving trees/bushes/grassblades etc? It looked so awesome in this video but I haven't really seen it since..

They abandoned with because it was a huge amount of work to make it work properly I think (there was some discussion a while back on the issue). I seem to recall them mentioning that they want to try and do it again for future project.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Why do u need walking when u have

-Running

-Slow mode

-Stealth mode

Stealth mode is good for carefully exploring environments, while running is fine for normal movements

Edited by Mazisky

Combat log does not really bother me as I don't pay attention to it to focused on the combat I typically memorize most of the effects or abilities so I know what to do when something happens. I have always done that since the older games and do the same in MMOs. Granted I think if you look at the combat log it means you are not paying attention to the fight from time to time I would look at the combat log because you get them moments like in BG2 walk into room die within seconds lol.

I do like the stream they did although I think they are over powered for every stream can't get a good sense of how far they are in the game other than the fact they said they were midway through the game. So far I like most things that they have shown I can't think of any real complaints that I have other than the fixes that will come some time after the release of the game anyways.

Well I guess I have a complaint when music is not going it feels to quiet in the game I think it would be nice to have more background noise from birds and what not or just play more music. I can't say to much on the NPCs yet but hopefully they are full of information does not have to be all of them. BG2 had many NPCs that were filler for the sake of being filler it was fine it made the game feel more alive other than most nobles are A$$E$ lol.

Watching recent videos one thing I wondering, did they completely abandon moving trees/bushes/grassblades etc? It looked so awesome in this video but I haven't really seen it since..

See previous discussion on this topic:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66376-trees-shrubs-grass/page-2

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63633-update-49-water-trees-daynight-lighting-all-that-jazz/page-19?do=findComment&comment=1531004

-Running

-Slow mode

-Stealth mode

Stealth mode is good for carefully exploring environments, while running is fine for normal movements

And walking would work better in combat than running. Careful walking in ready stance and it would make combat less chaotic and fast.
  • Like 1

-Running

-Slow mode

-Stealth mode

I consider it immersion-breaking to be the only person in the world who can't walk, and runs around in inns.
  • Like 2

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png