I guess the thing that we can be hopeful about is that they obviously *wanted* to include it at some point, so we can hope that they'll pick up the reins on it at some point or another. But yeah, if anything, I'd personally bet more on the sequel in that case.

We shall see I guess. :)

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think the reason they used Unity was also the tools it had for animations and the whole developement set.

When you see the water, it's already a success really. Looks beautiful.

But yeah, it would then be wise to have it for a sequel. The delay between now and the release is likely too short.

I'd like it if at least the trees had some occasional swaying/rustling movement leaf-wise, but I don't mind the grass not moving. I just pretend it's not windy. I've walked in fields of tall wild weeds/grasses and honestly, if it's not windy, you really don't notice it moving that much, except when you touch it. I mean, it probably moves, but when you're walking and looking at the sky/ground/trees and talking to others if around, you just don't notice.

My one very small quibble, when I looked at the it, is I feel like the grass is too tall in the game.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The grass not moving is not a big deal I feel. 

The trees/shrubs not occasionally swaying would be criminal. Watching videos of the game, it is the one glaring thing that is missing from a visual perspective. The entire scene looks dead without movement. It's actually irritating how static everything looks, made worse by the fact that there are these lone leaves that float about now and then. 

They had a prototype of it on April 10th, 2013 when they released update 49. It shows how much of a difference even minimal movement of trees/shrubs makes a difference to immersion in the game world. 

Whatever reason Obsidian have for not implementing movement throughout the game is not really good enough. I'm sure they have their reasons for not including it, but it's a major letdown. Those saying that they would rather the team focus on gameplay are missing the point. Why should something like this be an either or? 

I agree, though it's not something that really bothers me personally. If they hadn't made use of it in that one kickstarter video (maybe a mistake now in hindsight), I don't think it would've bothered me at all.

Still, I hope they can develop this system so they can use it in either an expansion or the potential secret. If done correctly, I think it could really bring life to areas.

They also had an update with Tim Cain early on. I've written the question and answer below.

Question: After seeing the screenshot, my anticipation for the game has spiked considerably, but it left me with a few questions.  I understand that the 2D portrait background concept (?), but will there be any overlapping animation with the river to make it appear flowing, even if the actual image doesn't move? The same question for flowers and trees, and will wind be simulated somehow?

Tim Cain: Yes, we're going to have animations in the backgrounds. If you're familiar with my game Temple of Elemental Evil, we used a very similar technique. It's a 2D rendered background, and then we insert animated props so that the trees will sway. We're going to have birds, butterflies, insects, you know, different thing going on in the background, and we can actually make the river appeal to flow. And the waterfall will appear to move. These are things that will actually make the entire scene come to life. Things you can't really see in the screenshot, and things we're not prepared to show yet. But, if you played Temple, or just look at some YouTube videos, showing how that engine works, its very similar to what we're doing here.    

Here you can see gameplay of Temple of Elemental Evil: 

The difference it makes is significant. Temple is a 2003 game for what it's worth. I can't shake my disappoint that background animations for trees and shrubs is canned. 

While I would love animated trees and maybe grass as I totally prefer a not perfect animation vs no animation at all, Sawyer has allready told that they prefer to put them later on (the expansion maybe?) when they have the time to make them as they want. Its a shame, but its their game and a subjective thing.

While I would love animated trees and maybe grass as I totally prefer a not perfect animation vs no animation at all, Sawyer has allready told that they prefer to put them later on (the expansion maybe?) when they have the time to make them as they want. Its a shame, but its their game and a subjective thing.

Ultimately, yes. But they also sold the game based on the idea of dynamic backgrounds too, as can be evidenced in early videos. 

• 2 weeks later...

There was a thread about this in the beta forums. They cut animated shrubbery because they were having quite a few technical problems with it, and Josh didn't want to tie up resources with it anymore. It is one of those diminishing returns things. It wasn't worth the time/money cost for what is ultimately a minor part of the game. 

I think it was a good call considering the game already had to be delayed. Why tie up so many resources on animated bushes when bug-squishing and combat mechanics need so much more attention?