NFL 2015 Season

Gromnir

I've been playing hockey for 25 years.  The stuff that causes brain damage has nothing to do with the sport.  Fighting is dumb, and I never cheer for a big check.  I celebrate skill, not brutality.  

With football, the equipment IS the problem.  Those hard plastic pads and helmets are used as weapons.

With football, the equipment IS the problem.  Those hard plastic pads and helmets are used as weapons.

That equipment, though, was the solution to a bigger problem.  It probably leads to more CTE than the old-fashioned gear would, but it prevents a lot of skull fractures and neck injuries, which can be life-threatening in a much more immediate sense. 

My enthusiasm has certainly been dampened a bit as all this information has become available in recent years.  I often find myself wondering if I can't find something better to do with the hours spent watching football games, part of which stems from the shame of the enjoyment I'm getting out of patronizing a billion-dollar business predicated on exhibiting the physical and mental destruction of young men to a cheering audience.

So, yeah, go Giants.  :unsure:

Edited by Enoch

No sport is inherently safe, of course.  And Football in particular has gotten to be a game for bigger players (one of Grom's links has an "average" comparison of star defensive backs which seems to show how much bigger the guys now are).

But like the modern equipment being a response to injuries with the old equipment, there needs to be an investment in research to improve the current technology.  I'm sure it exists already, in fact, but its also possible that they may not be able to make it safer just with equipment without rules changes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

No sport is inherently safe, of course.  And Football in particular has gotten to be a game for bigger players (one of Grom's links has an "average" comparison of star defensive backs which seems to show how much bigger the guys now are).

But like the modern equipment being a response to injuries with the old equipment, there needs to be an investment in research to improve the current technology.  I'm sure it exists already, in fact, but its also possible that they may not be able to make it safer just with equipment without rules changes.

rules changes and equipment could make game safer.  one wacky aspect o' the league v. player split is that it is the players who typically oppose in-game rules changes that would make the game safer.  the players favor practice reductions and is opposed to games-per-season increases, but they vehemently oppose rules changes that would alter allowable contact and they is insane opposed to any monetary penalties for hits that endanger fellow players.  we often hear o' the evils o' the league, but the players is also complicit in the perpetuation o' the problems.

to change gears a bit...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576465-odell-beckham-jr-allegedly-punched-multiple-bills-players

hopeful the punch in the video is an isolated incident.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Whatever, Steelers, take your road victory and keep warm with the blood of broken-hearted San Diegans when you shovel the snow from your driveways.

am sensing some bitterness.  

we will note that driving in some neighborhoods in pittsburgh during the winter scares us.  am not joking.  got mugged once in ny.  scary.  we had business in western pennsylvania a few years ago and spent almost the entirety o' two winters (save for our annual early december trip to hawaii) in pittsburgh.  for Gromnir, driving pittsburgh's narrow, vertical and twisting streets when such thoroughfares were covered in ice were like being mugged over and over and over and over.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Is the Denver coach a moran? Witht hat defense you shouldn't be stifling  one of the greatest QBs ever and forcing him to play a certain style. Just turn to him, and tell him  play the way you want. Call the plays you want. Let him dominate like he always has. Even if he isn't as good as he used to play no doubt he'd be much better if he didn't have to try to learn a whole new way to play at 41 years old. That's INSANE.

And, look at that. Manning comes back with a big pass. COME ON YOU PIECE OF CRAP. If Manning continues to give up bad stats it is largely on the head of the scumbag nazi coach.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Good news (for me), my Jets are 4-1. Bad news, they could've been 5-0 and will wish they'd won that Eagles' game at home by week 13. They had a really soft opening five weeks. I still don't think they have a shot to make the playoffs (unless both the Dolphins and the Bills tank), but they might finish the season five hundred.

The Dolphins suck and the Bills are still trying to find out what their actual identity is under their new coach. The Jets have been surprising with their record.  Who knows if it will last, though.

Rivers is likely to be known as the 2nd best QB (maybe even 1st) to never win a championship. All stats no wins.  The lastd rive illustrates this. Goes all the way down the field. Has 4 tries to get ball into end zone (as a team). EPIC FAIL.

I feel like Marino was more consistent than Rivers, but it's been a long time so it could be reminiscence.  

it is amazing how quickly we forget.  marino may not have been particularly agile, but he had the quickest release we ever saw.  we could go down list o' marino qb attributes, but we would simple be describing the ideal pocket-passer.  well, ideal pocket-passer attributes on the field.  kinda a head case early in career. 

rivers is a fantastic qb, but is likely that with benefit o' hindsight, he will not even be recollected as the best ever qb to ever play for san diego.  dan fouts likely gets that title.

other great qbs deserving mention and likely a place before rivers on a list o' all-time greats who never won a championship is gonna need include fran tarkenton (for certain) and arguably warren moon, sonny jugenson, ya tittle, and john brodie.  jim kelly?  he had such a great supporting cast and failed to win a super bowl, but in spite o' playing half his games in likely the second most unfriendly qb venue (rich stadium is comical windy at times) kelly were named all-pro in 1991.  rivers has not yet even managed 2nd team all-pro.

regardless, is no way we put rivers ahead of fouts or marino... not yet at least.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

That was a pretty miserable game.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hey, they almost mounted a comeback. :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.