NFL 2015 Season

Gromnir

WHY THE HELL WOULD THE NFLPA AGREE TO SUCH A STUPID RULE?

Havingt eh guy who issued the suspension be the  one who handles the appeal is plain dumb. WTF

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

WHY THE HELL WOULD THE NFLPA AGREE TO SUCH A STUPID RULE?

Havingt eh guy who issued the suspension be the  one who handles the appeal is plain dumb. WTF

it was NFL Executive Vice President Troy Vincent who issued the suspension.  The NFLPA claims that doing so violated the CBA.  They claim that Goodell was not legally empowered to transfer the right to levy suspensions to Vincent.   

Edited by kgambit

"it was NFL Executive Vice President Troy Vincent who issued the suspension.  The NFLPA claims that doing so violated the CBA.  They claim that Goddell was not legally empowered to transfer the right to levy suspensions to Vincent."

Eh. Who is his boss? Yeah, that's what I thought. The appeal process should be handled by a true neutral arbitrator not a NFL employee - espicially the commissioner.

\

But the NFL is a nazi organization and as Hurlshot, the NFLPA is dumb for a reason.+

"it was NFL Executive Vice President Troy Vincent who issued the suspension.  The NFLPA claims that doing so violated the CBA.  They claim that Goddell was not legally empowered to transfer the right to levy suspensions to Vincent."

Eh. Who is his boss? Yeah, that's what I thought. The appeal process should be handled by a true neutral arbitrator not a NFL employee - espicially the commissioner.

\

But the NFL is a nazi organization and as Hurlshot, the NFLPA is dumb for a reason.+

Did I ever say the appeal should not have been assigned to neutral arbitration?  I simply stated what happened and what the NFLPA has said.  But one heck of a great strawman there. 

"Did I ever say the appeal should not have been assigned to neutral arbitration?  I simply stated what happened and what the NFLPA has said.  But one heck of a great strawman there."

HUH? You act like my rant was against you. It is not. It's against the NFL, NFLPA, and  Goddell. LMAO

"Did I ever say the appeal should not have been assigned to neutral arbitration?  I simply stated what happened and what the NFLPA has said.  But one heck of a great strawman there."

HUH? You act like my rant was against you. It is not. It's against the NFL, NFLPA, and  Goddell. LMAO

Considering you quoted me, that was a fair assumption.  LMAO  

Edited by kgambit

New PAT rules!  Teams now must declare whether they intend to go for two (in which case the ball is spotted at the 2, as before) or attempt a 1-point PAT with the ball spotted at the 15 (making for a 32- or 33-yard attempt).  Also, turnovers on PAT/2PC tries can be returned by the defense for a 2-point "touchdown."

Lots of potential for interesting decisions here.  In event of a penalty wiping out a play, the offense can change their mind-- e.g. after a false-start on a 2PC, they can switch to a PAT from the 20, rather than a 2PC from the 7.  I think a post-TD celebration penalty can now be used either on the kickoff (as before), or to force a 48-yard PAT try (or 17-yard 2PC try).  If the offense is kicking, defenses now have very little incentive to call anything other than a 10- or 11-man rush.  That'll lead to more blocks, but also more penalties and injuries.  

That said, coaches are boring and will likely almost all trot the kicking team out there in every situation except the "down 8 late in the game" circumstances when they already go for 2. 

Edited by Enoch

I don't think it really makes a lot of sense to go for two as the "normal" option. This reduces the accuracy rating of the PAT from 99.5% to like 91.6% (edit: I had it at 97% before, which was wrong), last I read. It might be different if they had agreed on moving the 2PC to the 1 yard line, but they didn't. Plus, now fumbling is dangerous, which is an even greater reason not to go for it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone need a pretty good free safety ... for some reason SD is not offering a four-year contract extension to Eric Weddle's beard. 

Might be the $10M x4 asking price, and he's thirty years-old now, but this situation already happened like four years ago and the Chargers had to overpay to keep him. I wonder if they're eyeballing a future where QB Philip Rivers retires to open a daycare facility.

All Stop. On Screen.

• 1 month later...

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

He was JUST saying he wanted equal to/more than Megatron money...what happened? ;(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

He was JUST saying he wanted equal to/more than Megatron money...what happened? ;(

He had very little negotiating leverage.  Calvin Johnson's deal, in annual-average terms, is far higher ($16M/year) than the #2-#5 WR contracts (M. Wallace was #2 at $12M/year) that, collectively, are used to calculate the Franchise Tender salary.  A tag at $12.8M for 2015 and a subsequent tag at $15.4M (the tag is either the average of the top 5, or 120% of that player's prior-year salary) for 2016 makes for a really nice starting point, from the point of view of the team.  With 2 years for $28M (with no up-front cash and all the injury risk on the player) in their back pocket, Dallas had little reason to give much ground. 

He had plenty of leverage. Dallas had little ground. Wasn't Dallas claiming they weren't gonna give him a contract at all? L0L

Bryant won this. Him sayuing he wants x amount of money likely was  a negoiating tatic. Rule #1 of negoiation is never directly ask for what you actually want but ask for more  then meet in the middle.

Also, more than half is guaranteed.

That's...actually why I thought he did have a fair bit of negotiating leverage, assuming they wanted to keep him long-term. After the very first franchise tag, they would have to pay him more than they'd want to from then on. For two years, that about balances out to an average of what he got in the contract, but after that, it'd become prohibitively expensive and they'd have to let him go. He must've not wanted CJ money as much as he said. :p

The difference is risk.  With 2 FT contracts, all the risk is on the player.  If he gets trips over a hernia belt walking across the locker room and has an injury that impacts his career effectiveness, the team is out at the end of the season scot-free.  If they sign him long-term with huge guarantees and something like that happens, the team has a huge headache to deal with.  Career-impacting injuries are not exactly uncommon in the NFL. 

Yes, Dallas wants Dez happy and tied to the team for a long while, but the 2-year option was still a pretty good fallback plan for them.  The relative attractiveness of that option likely meant that Dez's side did more moving off their initial position than the Cowboys did. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well...if Brady sues, then at least we'll know as to whether or not he was actually cheating. If he doesn't sue, that'd be almost as bad as an open admission of guilt at this point...but if he's willing to going through the more thorough investigation in an actual legal battle (than the NFL could put up outside of one), then it seems likely he isn't.

Okay, it sounds like they're going to court more over the precedent of suspending a player without solid proof rather than the specifics of the deflating of footballs case itself. That's interesting...I hope the NFL Players Association and Mr. Brady win it, since it does set a terrible precedent for the League in being able to suspend players without solid proof of actual wrongdoing...and over players "not cooperating". If it's not in a player's best interests to cooperate (fully - Mr. Brady and the Patriots mostly DID cooperate except in like one or two specific areas) with the League's pseudo-investigations, then that should be their right, IMO...at least in the case of the League (who do not directly employ Mr. Brady) vs Brady (...as opposed to a theoretical Patriots vs Brady case, where I feel that it would be more the Patriots' prerogative - they are directly employing Brady, after all - for deciding whether they want to punish him or not for this sort of thing).

Edited by Bartimaeus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched the Bucs first pre-season game. Not much to get excited about. Winston looks like what he is: a rookie. One with a lot of promise to be sure but still a long way to go.

But in truth I won't really follow the NFL until after the World Series is over.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell