Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Howard the Duck is coming, and it will be glorious.

Really?

He was in the post-credits scene of Guardians of the Galaxy, which got positive buzz, which led to the return of his comics. There was talk of them doing an animated MCU tie in, he would be perfect.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"The days of my breaking into stuff (etc) are over. What do you want me to do?"

laughing.gif that was cute. Graphix are spiffy, as always. I like Corey Stoll. Paul Rudd is a little harder to picture but...could be fun. I'm guessing it has more humor so maybe Rudd fits.

But seriously...Antman? I had no idea there was an Antman. Well, as long as it's not Howard the Duck.

Ant-Man was (in the comics) a founding Avenger. That said, he rather quickly became Giant-Man in the comics (a little over a year after his debut). Shrinking dudes were a hard sell in the 1960s (DC's The Atom didn't do well either compared to other Silver Age stalwarts).

The longest run for a shrinking hero was Doll Man in the "Golden Age", appearing in 1939 as a headline in Feature Comics and holding two books (Feature and Doll Man) through 1949 (when he was dropped from Feature) and then in 1953 his solo title was cancelled.  Of superheroes from the same publisher, only Plastic Man fared better than Doll Man.

In comparison to Doll Man's 159 appearances, Ant-Man had 14 before becoming Giant Man, while the Atom lasted 38 issues solo after his 3 issue tryout in SHOWCASE.  Obviously teams were a thing in the 1960s that they weren't as much in the 1940s, so Ant-Man and Atom rack up a large number of appearances in teams (Avengers for Ant-Man and Justice League for Atom) that Doll Man didn't (he wasn't added into a team until the early 1970s).  Atom's & Hawkman's books were also combined in the late 60s to try and save both low selling titles, giving Atom 7 more appearances as a superhero duo with Hawkman.

That's probably more information about shrinking heroes than you ever wanted. :)

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

He was in the post-credits scene of Guardians of the Galaxy, which got positive buzz, which led to the return of his comics. There was talk of them doing an animated MCU tie in, he would be perfect.

Oh, that. Yes that was funny, but I thought it was funny because it was making fun of how horrible that movie was and all the flak back then. Not because I wanted to see another Duck movie. A one-off reference/joke can always be funny/timely/popular. Doesn't mean it should be taken farther.

That said, with CGI these days, it'd at least be better than the old movie for that reason alone.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've seen nothing that indicates there is any serious thought behind doing Howard the Duck again. Realistically, they have a lot more world building to do before HtD would make sense.

As a side note, I still remember seeing HtD in the theaters on opening weekend.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As a side note, I still remember seeing HtD in the theaters on opening weekend.

I've tried to scrub that memory from my mind, but with only partial success. ;)
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"The days of my breaking into stuff (etc) are over. What do you want me to do?"

laughing.gif that was cute. Graphix are spiffy, as always. I like Corey Stoll. Paul Rudd is a little harder to picture but...could be fun. I'm guessing it has more humor so maybe Rudd fits.

But seriously...Antman? I had no idea there was an Antman. Well, as long as it's not Howard the Duck.

Ant-Man was (in the comics) a founding Avenger. That said, he rather quickly became Giant-Man in the comics (a little over a year after his debut). Shrinking dudes were a hard sell in the 1960s (DC's The Atom didn't do well either compared to other Silver Age stalwarts).

The longest run for a shrinking hero was Doll Man in the "Golden Age", appearing in 1939 as a headline in Feature Comics and holding two books (Feature and Doll Man) through 1949 (when he was dropped from Feature) and then in 1953 his solo title was cancelled. Of superheroes from the same publisher, only Plastic Man fared better than Doll Man.

In comparison to Doll Man's 159 appearances, Ant-Man had 14 before becoming Giant Man, while the Atom lasted 38 issues solo after his 3 issue tryout in SHOWCASE. Obviously teams were a thing in the 1960s that they weren't as much in the 1940s, so Ant-Man and Atom rack up a large number of appearances in teams (Avengers for Ant-Man and Justice League for Atom) that Doll Man didn't (he wasn't added into a team until the early 1970s). Atom's & Hawkman's books were also combined in the late 60s to try and save both low selling titles, giving Atom 7 more appearances as a superhero duo with Hawkman.

That's probably more information about shrinking heroes than you ever wanted. :)

Best incarnation of Ant Man so far was on Earth's Mightiest Heroes. He could shrink and grow at will depending on the situation. Lead to some pretty boss sneak attacks where the baddies didn't know he was there then suddenly 30 foot tall dude standing there punting Abomination out a window.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ate a sandwich while trying to watch "Heaven is For Real" on Encore. I got about half way through before turning it off. I'm not religious but I can/do like "religious" (whether specific or just more of a thematic) films/mini-series as good stories - Jesus of Nazareth mini-series, Masada mini-series, some films, etc - but Heaven Is For Real is simply slow and boring. I might have liked it more if they hadn't kept doing the weird "recreations" of what the kid saw. Better if they'd kept it to him describing it, vs. showing.

Greg Kinnear is always awesome as an everyman (or whatever you might want to call what he does) and Thomas Hayden Church brings a chuckle or two, but neither could keep me watching through to the end.

Riddick - As a fan of the universe, I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a bit on the cheesy side.  It was really a fan service movie.  Apparently they are working on a 4th film, which is good, since they need to tie up all the Karl Urban storyline.

The film really shines when Riddick is alone on the planet dealing with a harsh environment.  

After CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK didn't work well, they didn't have the budget to continue the Necromonger storyline directly, so went back to a "Pitch Black" type of story.  I liked it a lot, and hope they get to do the last two films.

Edited by Amentep

Watched a Mike Douglas indie movie called Beyond the Reach. Largely a 2-person movie. Mike plays a rich guy who wants to illegally hunt bighorn in the Mojave, has a young tracker guiding him, things go wrong. Mike is having a grand old time being "rich-smarmy-evil guy" again, which gives a chuckle or three, but overall the movie isn't very good. And the ending is almost comically bad. 5/10 - only watch if you really want to see the star ham it up in that type of role again.

Watched Mortdecai and I'm not quite sure what I made of it.

It's quirky and it's got a fair few amusing moments, but something didn't feel quite right. Johnny Depp playing that caricature of a scoundrelish, insolvent, art dealing English Lord, who is deeply in love with his wife (Gwyneth Paltrow), and aided by his Manservant/Thug Jock (played pitch perfectly by Paul Bettany). In a tale about stolen art being chased by anarchist terrorists, the Russian mafia, and MI5.  You have a slightly weasel-like performance from Ewan McGregor as the MI5 agent who used to go to school with  Depp's character and is also deeply in love with his wife...  Jeff Goldblum doing an appearance as the rich American, and even Paul Whitehouse turning up as a mechanic slash fence.

I think it has that almost surreal feel of a Wes Anderson movie without quite hitting it. That mix of slightly over the top caricatures playing it ever so seriously while being quite silly. Maybe it's Depp playing too many of those types these days, but I will say Bettany pretty much stole every scene he was in.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Emperor and the White Snake / The Sorcerer and the White Snake  (depending on where you are)

A Chinese epic based on the legend of the white snake. Jet Li as the wise but stubborn demon-hunter / exorcist monk, and the story of a 1,000 year old snake demon that falls in love with a mortal apprentice herbalist / doctor. They just can't do an epic without working in some seriously tragic romance... Has some gorgeous visuals, marred by some dodgy CGI effects here and there, and a heart-breaking score.

GRRMDARK WHAAAA.

Gimme Marvels' current output over this any day.

I keep seeing that trailer described as epic. I don't see it. I was hoping for a little more Batfleck so we could prematurely pass judgement, but aside from still looking the part there wasn't much.

I still don't get DC/WB's idea that effing Superman needs to be dark. Patton Oswald was right, only Batman gets to brood.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Meanwhile, in other comic book properties...

But it's not part of the "Marvel" universe.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hey, Dr Wu is back, neat. Though why they are playing with dinosaurs after the debacles is still puzzling, but I suppose people have to be stupid in these movies. I did like the M60 gun sound effect though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I am not a much of a comics guy. But I just don't see why anyone would even want Batman and Superman to exists in shared world. They are so different.

Hm, how to explain it.  Batman and Superman, along with Wonder Woman form the great three "pillars" of the hero archetype in the DC universe.  

Batman represents the concepts of humanity. The "normal" man who through superior focus, training and just sheer willpower can hang there and not just survive, but prosper and defeat the bad guys.

Superman represents the "other", the alien and yes, the "super" aspect of the hero. Also, in some sense, Superman is there to push the science / sci-fi. The god-touched who can rise above the mundane masses, but still seeks to save the people rather than conquer them.

Wonder Woman is there for the "magic", and the fantasy side of comic archetypes. She's there for the mythological side, the demi-gods and legends of the past.

Edit: Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6cpTjsHTNk

Edited by Raithe

Hey, Dr Wu is back, neat. Though why they are playing with dinosaurs after the debacles is still puzzling, but I suppose people have to be stupid in these movies. I did like the M60 gun sound effect though.

I think the point of this movie isn't to think about it so much. It looks like they made it for the fun, more than anything else. Either way, I'm happy with it. Lots of different dinosaurs and this time there's actually people with guns who seem to use them. Pretty much what I want from a Jurassic Park movie.

That looks a little more loyal to the comic than I expected.

It didnt give me the "f this movie" vibe the first trailer gave. It reinforced the only positive I had from the first, which was Miles Teller. Kate Mara looks like a bleached chimp. The CG on Thing has no emotion, and I'm still worried about their handling of Doom, the greatest villain in all of comics.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think the point of this movie isn't to think about it so much. It looks like they made it for the fun, more than anything else. Either way, I'm happy with it. Lots of different dinosaurs and this time there's actually people with guns who seem to use them. Pretty much what I want from a Jurassic Park movie.

I suppose so, just won't be able to shake the thought that no one could possibly be THIS stupid to try it again. Does seem like this will be more action-y than the first one, but it is a trailer, they need to show the sexy bits and the big reveal won't work. So, does that guy have the raptors as his allies or something ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The raptors should be on bikes