Update #90: Shipping and Strategy Guide

Update by Brandon Adler, Producery Fellow

Hey, everyone. This is just a quick and dirty update for you on the backer poll we mentioned in our update from last week, some pics of the strategy guide, and news about PAX East. Our next update will come out in the next few weeks when we will discuss how backers can redeem their game from the Backer Portal.

Poll Results

First, we would like to thank all of our backers for taking the time to vote. It is very important to us that you are able to express your choice and voice your opinion about the shipping of rewards.

At close to 75% of the vote, it looks like shipping the physical rewards at the game's release and the game discs at a later date is the winner. This is how we will proceed with the shipping.

We realize that some of our backers have been asking about the possibility of selectively opting out of this choice and instead getting their items shipped to them all at once, multiple weeks after the game's release. We don't have an answer for this right now, but we are discussing the possibility with Paradox. Depending on the logistical realities we may not be able to provide this option, but we will explore the possibility. As for now, everyone will have their physical rewards shipped as soon as possible, and their game discs at a later date.

This is exceptionally upsetting to me.  So sick and tired of this impatience that is bred in the gaming world.  I do need this cleared up, however.  I paid in for a signed collector's boxed copy (the $250 tier).  Am I actually going to get that with the physical disc later?  Or am I getting a signed box with a cloth map and all the other physical stuff first?  Because the latter is not a signed collector's boxed version of the game, and I want it to be clear that if so, I am not getting what was promised.

Yep, unless they do decide that they're able to provide an opt-out option for those who want everything at the same time, your physical rewards (your signed CE box) will arrive without the game and then the game disk will arrive later. I really hope that they work something out for those that want a box with the game inside. The box was described as including the game and other things, so separating them is a bit of a failure to deliver on that promise.

Is a 75% majority vote enough to not deliver on something that was agreed to? The vote is pretty disengenuous because it just shows how many people weren't planning on keeping their boxes unopened in the first place, which was obviously going to be a strong majority. Those who wanted to have a single box that they kept unopened knew they were in the minority but it didn't matter because the description said they'd get a box with the game and everything else in it. It should also be mentioned that a lot of people seemed to misunderstand the poll and the poll was open to those that didn't even get physical rewards. So, apart from the fact that the vote shouldn't be used for this decision in the first place, it's also likely innacurate.

Anyway, maybe I'm being overly dramatic, but it seems messed up to let a poll determine that 25% (or perhaps far more) of physical backers won't get something that they really want which was promised to them. I really hope you guys work something out with Paradox for those that want everything together.

Edited by GrinningReaper659

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

This is exceptionally upsetting to me.  So sick and tired of this impatience that is bred in the gaming world.  I do need this cleared up, however.  I paid in for a signed collector's boxed copy (the $250 tier).  Am I actually going to get that with the physical disc later?  Or am I getting a signed box with a cloth map and all the other physical stuff first?  Because the latter is not a signed collector's boxed version of the game, and I want it to be clear that if so, I am not getting what was promised.

I don't understand, what's the difference?

Many people are collectors (or fans) who intended to have a single boxed copy with the game disk inside, they did not intend to open the box but rather planned to keep it sealed. With the current plan ("option 1" from the poll which 75% voted for), the box will arrive with everything except the game inside and then the game disk itself will arrive at a later date. So, the box will be incomplete in that there is no game inside and then you'll have a (probably cheaply packaged, not that it really makes a difference) game disk separate from the box.

The other option in the poll was to have averything arrive at once, so the box would have arrived with everything including the game disk, but would not have arrived until the game disk was ready.

The other option in the poll was to have averything arrive at once, so the box would have arrived with everything including the game disk, but would not have arrived until the game disk was ready.

An interesting thing is that at least part of that 75% are people who voted for option #1 "to help protect Obsidian against piracy", demonstrating that they weren't even fully aware what they were voting on.

• Like 2

I imagine that the box when it arrives will contain the game disc box/compartment inside it so that when the discs arrive its just a case of putting them in their proper place. as for the notion that some people didn't want to have to break the seal and open the box (but will now have to just to put the discs inside)....... Well without getting insulting I find it ridiculous, I mean why would you buy an edition with a hardcover art book and map etc inside if you don't want to look at them/read them? I mean sure the whole thing will perhaps retain more value if it all remains sealed but I don't imagine any of us are going to be selling them? or am I wrong?

Also if the cost for doing things this way were prohibitive I don't think obsidian would have even offered the choice, they could have just announced a delay on the physical goods like inxile did with wasteland 2 and have done with it.

Many people are collectors (or fans) who intended to have a single boxed copy with the game disk inside, they did not intend to open the box but rather planned to keep it sealed. With the current plan ("option 1" from the poll which 75% voted for), the box will arrive with everything except the game inside and then the game disk itself will arrive at a later date. So, the box will be incomplete in that there is no game inside and then you'll have a (probably cheaply packaged, not that it really makes a difference) game disk separate from the box.

It's a bit ridiculous... If you keep your box sealed it'll change nothing.

• Like 2

Sure.

You wait so many years... so you can wait some more days to have the "complete" edition (and plays day one with steam key or other one).

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

It's a bit ridiculous... If you keep your box sealed it'll change nothing.

It's simple: You will not have a sealed Boxed "Pillars of Eternity," if there is no "Pillars of Eternity" in the box. The fact that you intend to open it anyway doesn't mean everyone else that cares about having a sealed physical copy of the game is ridiculous.

I imagine that the box when it arrives will contain the game disc box/compartment inside it so that when the discs arrive its just a case of putting them in their proper place. as for the notion that some people didn't want to have to break the seal and open the box (but will now have to just to put the discs inside)....... Well without getting insulting I find it ridiculous, I mean why would you buy an edition with a hardcover art book and map etc inside if you don't want to look at them/read them? I mean sure the whole thing will perhaps retain more value if it all remains sealed but I don't imagine any of us are going to be selling them? or am I wrong?

Also if the cost for doing things this way were prohibitive I don't think obsidian would have even offered the choice, they could have just announced a delay on the physical goods like inxile did with wasteland 2 and have done with it.

You are wrong, game collection is a thing and it's no more "ridiculous" than any of your hobbies or interests just because it doesn't interest you. Plenty of people intended to keep the box sealed and care if there is a game inside. Edited by GrinningReaper659
  • Like 5

You are wrong, game collection is a thing and it's no more "ridiculous" than any of your hobbies or interests just because it doesn't interest you. Plenty of people intended to keep the box sealed and care if there is a game inside.

If the only "seal" is a box flap, is that going to piss off collectors? Remember.. these boxes are not meant for retail. There's no real reason to seal them.

Are backers who really, really want a physical manual to read before they play the game more or less ridiculous than people who don't want to open the box? Whatever they do, Obsidian is going to make some people unhappy. All they can do is ask for majority opinion. Hence the poll.

I agree the ideal solution would be to allow people to select on the backer portal whether they want delayed or immediate shipment. Who knows.. if enough people make a stink, maybe Obsidian will do that.

• Like 5

You are wrong, game collection is a thing and it's no more "ridiculous" than any of your hobbies or interests just because it doesn't interest you. Plenty of people intended to keep the box sealed and care if there is a game inside.

If the only "seal" is a box flap, is that going to piss off collectors? Remember.. these boxes are not meant for retail. There's no real reason to seal them.

Are backers who really, really want a physical manual to read before they play the game more or less ridiculous than people who don't want to open the box? Whatever they do, Obsidian is going to make some people unhappy. All they can do is ask for majority opinion. Hence the poll.

I agree the ideal solution would be to allow people to select on the backer portal whether they want delayed or immediate shipment. Who knows.. if enough people make a stink, maybe Obsidian will do that.

I never said that people who want to have the manual when they play the game are ridiculous, nor do I think that. However, they can have the manual and the game (a few weeks later), getting exactly what you just described them wanting and people who want everything together will have what they want. The people who want the physical goods asap will only be temporarily disappointed with option 2 but will ultimately get what they want after having to wait a few weeks, while those who prefer a sealed box with everything inside will be permanently lacking that with option 1. That's the difference. That's assuming of course that the boxes will be sealed, which I think is a pretty safe assumption and is precedented by other games but feel free to cite some evidence to the contrary if someone from OE provides some.

Obviously the ideal solution is to let each backer decide between the two choices, but without that the current plan causes a potentially permanent issue for a lot of backers while the alternative plan created only a temporary one.

As fun and indepth as the strategy guide seems to be,  the thing I would be much more interested in would be a physical version of the Almanac. Any chance we will ever get such a thing?

"Jet, do you know that there are three things I particularly hate......Kids, animals, and women with attitude. SO CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE HAVE ALL THREE NEATLY GATHERED ON OUR SHIP!"

Yep, unless they do decide that they're able to provide an opt-out option for those who want everything at the same time, your physical rewards (your signed CE box) will arrive without the game and then the game disk will arrive later. I really hope that they work something out for those that want a box with the game inside. The box was described as including the game and other things, so separating them is a bit of a failure to deliver on that promise.

Is a 75% majority vote enough to not deliver on something that was agreed to? The vote is pretty disengenuous because it just shows how many people weren't planning on keeping their boxes unopened in the first place, which was obviously going to be a strong majority. Those who wanted to have a single box that they kept unopened knew they were in the minority but it didn't matter because the description said they'd get a box with the game and everything else in it. It should also be mentioned that a lot of people seemed to misunderstand the poll and the poll was open to those that didn't even get physical rewards. So, apart from the fact that the vote shouldn't be used for this decision in the first place, it's also likely innacurate.

Anyway, maybe I'm being overly dramatic, but it seems messed up to let a poll determine that 25% (or perhaps far more) of physical backers won't get something that they really want which was promised to them. I really hope you guys work something out with Paradox for those that want everything together.

Well, i see your point.

I'm a digital only backer, just to say. It's true that i didn't imagine at first that people would buy such an expansive game box without willing to open it. But now, i remember that i've already seen this. For true collectors, having a very limited sealed edition of PoE must be unvaluable. Much more than any non-kickstarter game because the KS backer editions are much rarer. So, even, if i'm not into this, i understand your problem here, and that this is a big deal for passionate people. We are all passionate people, just we are passionate about all sort of different stuff.

And there are other people who have an opposed kind of ritual, wanting the books before the game to get hyped while waiting for the DVDs (the waiting part is important it seems). While i don't see any problems here, i must say that sometimes, it must be hard to be at Obsidian :D. Must be hard, as a developper, to deal with just one publisher who explain you that you have to do things this way, or this one, and that you have 10 months to craft a dull console game that would need 18. But to satisfy every single backer must give some crude headaches too :D. Just hope we are not worse than EA Games ;)

• Like 2

I'm going to assume that this isn't the case but just to quickly clarify, this isn't the same thing as the hardcover collectors book that is included with some of the pledge tiers right? but is in fact just a physical version of the digital guide that is included on some pledge tiers? just want to double check before I or anyone else as dumb as me (that needs **** spelling out to them specifically) goes ahead and buys something that might already be included in our pledge. I'm 99% sure they aren't the same thing but like i said, just double checking :-

You are correct. This is a strategy guide and is completely different than the Dark Horse Collector's Book. The Collector's Book is the lore and art of the game.

What is the backer equivalent of this book on Amazon?  The 'Collector's Book' or the 'Digital Almanac'?  Or neither...

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1616558091/

Looking in this thread it appears that the GuideBook Volume One is the same as the Collector's Book offered at the $250 and up Kickstarter tier.

Well, i see your point.

I'm a digital only backer, just to say. It's true that i didn't imagine at first that people would buy such an expansive game box without willing to open it. But now, i remember that i've already seen this. For true collectors, having a very limited sealed edition of PoE must be unvaluable. Much more than any non-kickstarter game because the KS backer editions are much rarer. So, even, if i'm not into this, i understand your problem here, and that this is a big deal for passionate people. We are all passionate people, just we are passionate about all sort of different stuff.

And there are other people who have an opposed kind of ritual, wanting the books before the game to get hyped while waiting for the DVDs (the waiting part is important it seems). While i don't see any problems here, i must say that sometimes, it must be hard to be at Obsidian :D. Must be hard, as a developper, to deal with just one publisher who explain you that you have to do things this way, or this one, and that you have 10 months to craft a dull console game that would need 18. But to satisfy every single backer must give some crude headaches too :D. Just hope we are not worse than EA Games ;)

Just to be clear, I know there are difficult decisions for OE to make and that they can't completely please everyone in some cases. If it turns out that the game disks ship separately from the box, I'm certainly not going to throw any hate toward Obsidian. However, while they are in the process of deciding how important it is to include an option for things being shipped in the same box, I'm absolutely going to bring up what I think are some valid points on the matter.

Will backers who are supposed to only get physical rewards get a free digital version on release? I am just wondering since I added an addon for a digital copy because I was told that physical copies do nto automatically come with extra digital copy and would thus end up with two digital copies.

A box full of stuff without the game inside is not a boxed version of the game.  I don't just spend money and not read what I am getting.  They used specific language, and now it sounds like they aren't going to deliver on a pretty big promise for people who went in with more money.

Will backers who are supposed to only get physical rewards get a free digital version on release? I am just wondering since I added an addon for a digital copy because I was told that physical copies do nto automatically come with extra digital copy and would thus end up with two digital copies.

What tier level did you pledge at? I wasn't aware of a physical reward tier that didn't come with a digital version of the game.

"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."

ALDNOAH ZERO

It's not ridiculous at all. And yes, you are wrong to speak for everybody.

I received my Wasteland 2 Signed Collectors Edition a week or so ago, still shrink wrapped despite finishing the game last year. And I've already looked at the contents in digital format so I don't need to open it.

And one day I will most likely end up selling it. So why wouldn't I keep it sealed? You can still buy sealed Atari 2600 and C64 games on ebay.

What tier level did you pledge at? I wasn't aware of a physical reward tier that didn't come with a digital version of the game.

I did not back during Kickstarter, I pledged/ordered directly from the site (Boxed Copy of Pillars of Eternity - which does not include digital copy).

A box full of stuff without the game inside is not a boxed version of the game.  I don't just spend money and not read what I am getting.  They used specific language, and now it sounds like they aren't going to deliver on a pretty big promise for people who went in with more money.

Well when you receive the discs, what you do is you take those discs and you put them in where the discs would normally be had they arrived with the collectors box and voila, a signed collector's boxed version of the game will be there in front of you...........

It's not ridiculous at all. And yes, you are wrong to speak for everybody.

I received my Wasteland 2 Signed Collectors Edition a week or so ago, still shrink wrapped despite finishing the game last year. And I've already looked at the contents in digital format so I don't need to open it.

And one day I will most likely end up selling it. So why wouldn't I keep it sealed? You can still buy sealed Atari 2600 and C64 games on ebay.

Well I do still find it ridiculous personally but there's been enough people on here saying that this is a thing so..... different strokes for different folks i guess, though I find the notion of ever selling any of my collectors boxes that I own to be abhorrent...... I guess I'm just sentimental that way lol.