Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tablets are on a decline

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6446 posts

Everything's saturated, looks like it's the post-iPad era now

http://www.businessw...th#.VM_8EdXF9NE

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3268 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I know I barely use mine and my wife doesn't use hers at all anymore

In my case I have a big ass phablet and 13" laptop and it's pretty much the same way for my wife except for the phablet

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7462 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

A lot of people saw this coming from a mile away.  Tablets are mostly unnecessary.  They have their strong points, but are far from essential.  I'll admit it took the tablet bubble longer to burst than I thought, though.

• Azdeus, rjshae, ravenshrike and 1 other like this

Vaeliorin

Vaeliorin

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Given how ubiquitous cell phones are nowadays, yeah, it's not surprising. For those of us who don't have/want cell phones, though, they're nice to have as an e-reader/internet browser that doesn't require being tethered to a computer.

Cluas

Cluas

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • Steam:Cluascorp

Guess I'm just old fashioned, I like my mouse more than any tablet :)

• Woldan likes this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4740 posts

Turns out people don't actually use their tablets after the novelty has worn off, they use their phone, the large display phones are on the rise. Tablets are pointless. They aren't really mobile because of their size and they aren't really practical because of the lack of a keyboard. 

I could have told them that, whoever them is. 

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5893 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I use my tablets daily.

Anyone use the MS Surface 3? Im considering it as a laptop-lite kinda thing for work. Does the 12" screen make it a pain to use for long periods?

• Monte Carlo likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9065 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

A lot of people saw this coming from a mile away.  Tablets are mostly unnecessary.  They have their strong points, but are far from essential.  I'll admit it took the tablet bubble longer to burst than I thought, though.

Exactly/ditto.

I can understand/see they have certain uses but it's not something most are going to use constantly, hence wanting to upgrade/rebuy them all the time (to keep the "market" high) always seemed rather dubious to me. The ubiquitous cellphone or some variant seems the main route for portable computing/'net use, long term.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3839 posts

I use my tablets daily.

Anyone use the MS Surface 3? Im considering it as a laptop-lite kinda thing for work. Does the 12" screen make it a pain to use for long periods?

I use a similar device at work, 11.6" convertible. Nothing wrong with it and can use it hours on end just fine, but it pretty much is attached to the keyboard all the time, so the tablet part of it is kind of redundant. Only time I did use it in tablet mode was when I was away on a training course and needed to use it in a cramped training room where there wasn't really room to plant it on the table.

• Gfted1 likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not everybody has the same lifestyle. 

I travel a lot, I hate carrying a lot around, I use shoulderbags, I don't own a laptop. My 10" & bluetooth keyboard is just fine for a lot of purposes. 

They always should have been a specific niche though, and I'm sure most people don't need one.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I use my iPad for just about everything. It's my default for email and web browsing. It's my eBook reader, and most of my posts here are from its touch screen.

Most of my gaming nowadays is actually on the iPad. I take it with me everywhere and by far. It's my favorite electronic device.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Never owned a tablet. Maximum mobility for me would be reading this forum on the way to the fridge. Several hundred dollars seems extravagant in that regard. Maybe if the pretty ladies thread was still a viability. 

• Chilloutman and Cluas like this

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4740 posts

You can plug a phone into a keyboard and a TV without too much trouble though. Depends on where you are going I suppose. The Gallaxy note is large enough for my needs. Only thing that bothers me is android. Unless you root your device it's going to be filled up with bloatware from the manufacturer.  

• Bokishi likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3268 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yeah, my tablet is only an overly expensive e-reader at this point and it's not even an expensive one. I'm on the go a lot but I find my ultrabook much, much more useful with my phone filling most of the smaller tablet duties.

If I had a larger laptop then I probably wouldn't feel the same way

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9074 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Every parent I know has their kids using a tablet, so I'm guessing a decline may be overstated.  You basically have an entire generation growing up with tablets as their primary entertainment device.  

Personally I use my kindle every day for reading, it has replaced books.  I still prefer my laptop for everything else, but I think moving forward, that will be more niche than using a tablet.

500MetricTonnes

500MetricTonnes

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

As one who utterly loathes cellphones and refuses to own one, I find that a tablet has all the features of smartphone without the irritating phone bits.

Seriously, if I had a hammer, I would smash every single cellphone in the world.

• SummerDay and Tsuga C like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3268 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not I. I don't even have a landline anymore and haven't for at least 12 years

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Me, I'd rather go back to the days when my cellphone can last 3 days before a charge rather than 3 hours.

• ShadySands likes this

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

When I'm home I use my tablet for everything. I can play Baldur's Gate while sitting on the loo, play Dragon Quest 5 just before sleeping in my bed, read news everywhere, control my TV from everywhere, stream music to any of my speakers for whenever I have friends over, look up maps while driving, look up recipes in the kitchen, read books in text mode (seriously good), stream movies when I go to friends on Airplay or Sonos or Miracast or whatever they have, talk to my parents and friends in other countries on Skype, entertain kids with silly apps. I have found so many uses for it. Also, the battery in it lasts for 10-11 days! I never have to worry about it running out of juice, unlike my phone (lasts a day when used heavily).

Also, my pad is only 7.9 inches (same screen as the Ipad Mini) so it never feels heavy to hold or annoying to take with me. It fits everywhere except my pockets.

• Leferd and Lexx like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I use my iPad for just about everything. It's my default for email and web browsing. It's my eBook reader, and most of my posts here are from its touch screen.

Most of my gaming nowadays is actually on the iPad. I take it with me everywhere and by far. It's my favorite electronic device.

Heh. Of course, the bane of all tablets and smartphone users are autocorrect and typo fails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users