Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter is UP!

Sensuki

How is that different from a combat round in a bg game. 

I can see how you might base a theater level wargame around that mechanic, a CRPG, not so much. 

Yes the combat in Pillars came out kinda weak. Turn based could have adressed some of those systemic issues much easier imho.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

New patch out if anyone was waiting

Details here and possibly spoilers

I'm scared to do patches mid-playthrough in case it breaks save games.  I got the GOG version so it won't auto-update it.  I'll wait until I finish my playthrough to update it to whatever the latest is at the time on GOG (they're usually a couple days behind Steam, at least if you're not using Galaxy, which I'm not since it doesn't exist for my OS yet).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Whazzat?

Googling indicates that it involves planning and execution phases, so you plan moves, the AI does and then everything gets acted out. I guess it cuts the payoff of negative tactics ? I've never played a game with it, at least any I can recall - possibly something in a wargame.

it's basically when your combat is broken into evenly timed bits in between which you get to pick orders/actions for your characters. check out Frozen Synapse gameplay, it's one of the better implemented phase based combat systems out there

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Whazzat?

Googling indicates that it involves planning and execution phases, so you plan moves, the AI does and then everything gets acted out. I guess it cuts the payoff of negative tactics ? I've never played a game with it, at least any I can recall - possibly something in a wargame.

it's basically when your combat is broken into evenly timed bits in between which you get to pick orders/actions for your characters. check out Frozen Synapse gameplay, it's one of the better implemented phase based combat systems out there

Combat Mission series of wargames used the system (though they called it WeGo) in the first installments and it was awesome.

Give a load of orders to your troops and then watch the action unfold for one minute, then you give the new orders.

This allowed for truly devastating ambushes and surprise attacks, also enabled play-by email gaming where both sides could spend as many hours as they liked in the orders phase.

They did move to RTWP play in the later installments, which no doubt says something.

There was some old C-64 era RPG which used the same system, and "Johnny Reb" an American civil war wargame which I loved (or might have been Johnny Reb 2)

• Like 1

I really hope we ain't charged for it and they add it on like a directors edition or something.

From the Kickstarter pitch:

$1,000,000 - Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign! We have our plans set for the story we want to tell in Shadowrun: Hong Kong, but if we hit this funding goal, we’ll create an ADDITIONAL 4-5 hour Hong Kong Mini-Campaign that takes place AFTER the story ends. The Mini-Campaign will allow you to IMPORT your high-karma Hong Kong character for a challenge only a prime runner could accept. The Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign will come out sometime before the end of 2015 and will be FREE to Backers at the $15 pledge level and up.

Doubt it'll be out before end of year, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm still slowly making my way through my first playthrough, savoring it.  I have no desire to get through the game rapidly.  GOG doesn't keep track of time played, but judging from the fact that I've recorded 13 episodes and that they tend to average a little under an hour, I guess I've put in between 11 and 12 hours.  Obviously, I don't know exactly where I am in terms of game completion, but it feels like I'm halfway through at most.  I think of the time I've played, maybe around 10% of it has been combat, if that, which is great, as far as I'm concerned.  I look forward to seeing where this winding road leads.  :biggrin:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Have you posted the videos? If so where? I'd love to give them a gander

There's a link in my sig to my YouTube channel.  For convenience reasons here is a link directly to the Shadowrun: Hong Kong playlist.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm still slowly making my way through my first playthrough, savoring it. I have no desire to get through the game rapidly. GOG doesn't keep track of time played, but judging from the fact that I've recorded 13 episodes and that they tend to average a little under an hour, I guess I've put in between 11 and 12 hours. Obviously, I don't know exactly where I am in terms of game completion, but it feels like I'm halfway through at most. I think of the time I've played, maybe around 10% of it has been combat, if that, which is great, as far as I'm concerned. I look forward to seeing where this winding road leads. :biggrin:

GOG Galaxy tracks playtime. Your estimation is correct, I'm at 24 hours and nearing the end of the game. I read everything though, it's shorter if you skip optional conversations. There will be more combat later on depending on your etiquettes. Corporate and Socialite seem to be very useful, but I had neither, so I had to deal with certain problems the hard way. That said, Hong Kong was really good at providing methods of avoiding combat.

Just a heads up, patch 3.0.5 is finally live on GOG (used to be 3.0.4). No 3.0.4 → 3.0.5 patcher, though, so I'm not sure how safe it is to install on top of a 3.0.4 (GOG-2) version. But since the game took ~45 min to install the first time around, I'm not about to un/re-install.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Just a heads up, patch 3.0.5 is finally live on GOG (used to be 3.0.4). No 3.0.4 → 3.0.5 patcher, though, so I'm not sure how safe it is to install on top of a 3.0.4 (GOG-2) version. But since the game took ~45 min to install the first time around, I'm not about to un/re-install.

Galaxy updated SR:HK to 3.0.5 without any apparent problems so it should work with the manual patch files. Anyway, GOG patches are pretty steadfast in refusing to work at all if they detect an incompatible patch state, so there's no real risk involved if you try.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I think of the time I've played, maybe around 10% of it has been combat, if that, which is great, as far as I'm concerned.

How do the previous two fare in this department?

The first is mostly combat, but it's pretty repetitive. The second has more dialogue but it's still a lot of combat.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands