American Riots, Michael Brown....is it justified ?

BruceVC

Every year, out of about 170 students, I have a handful that have the potential to really question the world around them.  I try to nurture that.  But by the end of High School, there should be a much larger number of critical thinkers.

It isn't that much better at university level- albeit I was running a 1st year gen ed/ cross course which was open to all faculties/ programmes, and since you had to take 2 gen ed courses for a bachelor degree you had quite a few people who knew little about the subject or didn't really want to be there but felt they had to- I'd estimate maybe a third out of around 250 students showed anything above trivial ability in critical thinking. No doubt they'd be better in their core courses, but supposedly at least one of a university's core principles is to teach critical thinking and there were rather a lot of "I don't want to think, just give me a list of facts to learn" comments from even A grade students.

On an editorial note, the worst offenders in that respect the were Biology students, I'd been through their system not that long before and it was great from a lazy student's pov since you got beautiful spiral bound course guides where everything was laid out for you but it was also terrible because you had to do very little actual research or thinking (at undergrad level) to pass since it was all handed to you. I learnt far more critical thinking from the two ancient history (!) courses I took, and chemistry of all things, rather than biology but ironically the biology courses always got the highest ratings from students and we were constantly being told we should be more like them as a result despite them essentially being polytech courses.

Meh, critical thinking takes effort and most people just don't want to do it unless they have to.

• Like 1

Because of sales tax?

every law that's ever passed is ultimately enforced at the end of a barrel of a gun if it's enforced.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao Zedong

A lot of people fail to realize just what this means...

Just because students don't reach the same answer as you doesn't mean they didn't ask the question.

Don't accuse people of being sheep just because they don't agree with your worldview.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Because of sales tax?

every law that's ever passed is ultimately enforced at the end of a barrel of a gun if it's enforced.

Vals can you respond to my question so you don't keep making accusations against me

" do you think Al-Qaeda committed 9/11" ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because of sales tax?

Vals can you respond to my question so you don't keep making accusations against me

Well, since we're on the subject.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19930227&slug=1687698

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Because of sales tax?

Ha!

All in good time. I've had more important things to do, but worry not, I shall respond to your insincere question. Might be another day or three though before I have time to compose a proper response.

Because of sales tax?

Ha!

All in good time. I've had more important things to do, but worry not, I shall respond to your insincere question. Might be another day or three though before I have time to compose a proper response.

Please do, I'm interested in hearing your response. I am fairly confident that you believe Al-Qaeda didn't plan and commit 9/11 but I may be wrong :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because of sales tax?

Ha!

Please do, I'm interested in hearing your response. I am fairly confident that you believe Al-Qaeda didn't plan and commit 9/11 but I may be wrong :)

Considering 9/11 has absolutely no bearing on this thread, it sounds like you use that as some sort of litmus test for psychological dysfunction. The Soviets used to do that for anyone that criticized The State. If you didn't like the Soviet system, you were insane and had to be committed. The glory of the Soviet system was obvious, and disagreeing with it was self-evident of western sabotage or insanity. Your insertion of 9/11 is eerie in that regard.

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 1

Because of sales tax?

Ha!

Considering 9/11 has absolutely no bearing on this thread, it sounds like you use that as some sort of litmus test for psychological dysfunction. The Soviets used to do that for anyone that criticized The State. If you didn't like the Soviet system, you were insane and had to be committed. The glory of the Soviet system was obvious, and disagreeing with it was self-evident of western sabotage or insanity. Your insertion of 9/11 is eerie in that regard.

ROFL. Well, nearly. I had to sit down.

the Soviets also had a big army and universal healthcare, and funded the arts. Oh, and they had perks for politicians and a space program.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Obama will make an announcement on Thursday: he will issue an execute action to regulate on police brutality.

First on immigration.  Then on Cuba.  Next up will be on police brutality.  I like the new Obama.

Edited by ktchong

Well, some loon in NY shot his girlfriend then blew away two cops in their car. Killed himself though.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, some loon in NY shot his girlfriend then blew away two cops in their car. Killed himself though.

according to at least one report, the suspected shooter also shot his girlfriend, though she appears to have survived.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=dontrunup

as an aside, obama's forthcoming executive order is not so much meant to regulate police brutality as it is directed at regulating military hardware reaching police departments.  a US President can do less about perceived or real police excess than many folks realize... set the national agenda is his most vital role.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

He can race bait until he encourages the murder of policemen though.

People that murder random people always find excuse for their actions (because they are mentally unstable which causes them to want to harm and kill other people), although police and other authorities have higher change become their target when respect towards police and other authorities, which is indoctrinate in citizens from young age, starts to fall off for one reason or another (like for example authorities failing to explain why their actions were justified or people undermining president's or other political leaders' authority for some reason).

So people who were laughing and clapping and people who called for the murder of policemen during demonstrations were all mentally unstable? http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/12/20/nypd-shooting-eyewitness-people-clapping-and-laughing-after-killings/ This is the atmosphere that Obola, Sharpton and De Blasio helped to create with their lies and incitement.

Edit: Oh, and this is for Hurlshot : http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/12/20/did-cop-killer-ishmael-brinsley-visit-terror-tied-brooklyn-mosque/

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So people who were laughing and clapping and people who called for the murder of policemen during demonstrations were all mentally unstable? http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/12/20/nypd-shooting-eyewitness-people-clapping-and-laughing-after-killings/ This is the atmosphere that Obola, Sharpton and De Blasio helped to create with their lies and incitement.

Edit: Oh, and this is for Hurlshot : http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/12/20/did-cop-killer-ishmael-brinsley-visit-terror-tied-brooklyn-mosque/

The guy might have visited a mosque in Brooklyn once?  *gasp*

Funny that people whine that police brutality is based on racism (it isn't it's based on police having way too much power and forgetting what their job is supposed to entail) yet neither of the cops savagely murdered were actually white..  I'd laugh but it's too morbidly sadly disgusting.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I am suspicious of the report on people applauding as the cops were being shot. Source is some dude called Carlos.

The NYPD union head yelling that the mayor is responsible for this is laughable.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hurlshot, on 21 Dec 2014 - 2:02 PM, said:

Wrath of Dagon, on 21 Dec 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

The guy might have visited a mosque in Brooklyn once?  *gasp*

Yeah, there is a terrorist mosque in Brooklyn after all, it's not all a product of my fevered xenophobic imagination as you think. But good reading comprehension, what does it take to be a California teacher exactly?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan