What you did today

Rosbjerg

Well, my washing machine is screwing around again, I'm going to disassemble the water pump completely.  :verymad: Something's stuck in there and I really hope its not parts from the pump itself. Fortunately its really primitively built so I wont need a degree in rocket science to fix it. 

And I bought some new weights and put them on my barbell.  :woot:  Still need two more 20Kg's though if I want to go for max and not reps. Birthday maybe...

barbellwoldan2_zpsf9c25460.jpg

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Marrakesh is pretty crazy.. Saw a few palaces, the soukhs and learned that my rusty french goes a long way..

Incidentally the town has been invaded by roydy, rude and crazy argentinian football fans because of a huge world football club. So Im hiding in the Riad/hostel for the night :)

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Holy balls I walk/graduate today!

Shine on, you crazy diamond. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Congrats Calax! You've worked really hard to get to this.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

yeah, I wore jeans to graduate, WHAT OF IT!

at least you wore pants. am suspecting that at least 10% o' Gromnir's Cal graduation class (undergrad) went al fresco. freaking hippies.

congrats and all that.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Congrats, Calax!

....left turn sidenote: Woldan's dirty gym carpet kinda scares me. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

....left turn sidenote: Woldan's dirty gym carpet kinda scares me. wink.png

Hey, its part of my workroom, it is supposed to be dirty! Only a lazy craftsmans workroom is clean.  :p

What I'm doing: pulling an all-nighter to restore my screwed up inner clock. I hate that. 

Edited by Woldan

Oh, no, speaking as such, only a diligent craftman's work space is clean. 

A craftsman should spend every minute on his project and not waste more time on cleaning than absolutely necessary. Nobody cares about the craftsman's workplace, what matters is the final product and nothing else. 

• Like 2

given such a peculiar attitude, the mystery o' why woldan is so frequently injured no longer strikes us as mysterious.  in our experience, first lesson a craftsman is taught is to maintain his equipment and workplace.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

..peculiar..
Look who's talking. 

in our experience, first lesson a craftsman is taught is to maintain his equipment and workplace.

Before criticizing people you should first learn how to read, then you'd know what the word ''necessary'' in my sentence actually means.  

A certain constructive chaos is inevitable during the process of creation, and trying to prevent is not just a waste of time its also is ultimately a futile endeavor as the chaos will revive itself almost immediately after its removal. 

As long as the process of creation can continue without interruption and the equipment is not suffering the level of chaos is absolutely acceptable. 

Edited by Woldan

..peculiar..
Look who's talking. 

in our experience, first lesson a craftsman is taught is to maintain his equipment and workplace.

Before criticizing people you should first learn how to read, then you'd know what the word ''necessary'' in my sentence actually means. 

we read, and we understand the meaning of necessity. the slovenly and slip-shod craftsman is the one who sees proper maintenance of his workplace and tools as unnecessary.

HA! Good Fun!

Maintenance and creation can occur at different times.

Excellence in craftsmanship is not like making a pizza.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Every year I say to myself  " Bruce, don't leave your Xmas shopping to the last minute "....and every year I do that exact thing :lol:

I went shopping now at a good mall. It was early though, 9:30 am, so the crowds were still manageable. I finished about 65% of the shopping I needed to do, I'll do the rest when I go to the coast on Tuesday 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Like I said, during the process... I've seen too many people cleaning their workplace after every step and/or several times per day and it took them ages to finish something. Also they interrupted their muse so many times that the final product was mediocre at best. 

And nobody applauded them for their clean workplace. 

“skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. imagination without skill gives us modern art.”-- tom stoppard

maybe we messed the quote up slightly, but it looks right.  regardless, how you do anything is how you do everything. learning to maintain tools and workplace is always step one. get caught up in the process and leave cleaning for later? sure, that happens, but when done, you clean. virtual every carpenter, welder, and any other competent craftsman we care to mention gots workplaces that you could eat off the floor... not metal shop floors as they always got oil and metal shavings.

"Hey, its part of my workroom, it is supposed to be dirty! Only a lazy craftsmans workroom is clean."

he forgets what he posts.

*shrug*

how you do anything...

and this guy makes his own ammo? 

*shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

Tell me Grom, where did you get your mythical abilities of having an opinion about everything, knowing everything and being right all the time? 

regardless, how you do anything is how you do everything

Is this some kind of joke or are you actually serious? Or are you reciting a phrase from a very bad book? Only a very simple man would judge a person wholly by watching how they act and perform in one single task.  Shall I judge you as a person by your behavior in this forums? Would it be accurate?

"Hey, its part of my workroom, it is supposed to be dirty! Only a lazy craftsmans workroom is clean."

he forgets what he posts.

Don't make me explain to you what a tongue-in-cheek comment is and how you identify one.

virtual every carpenter, welder, and any other competent craftsman we care to mention gots workplaces that you could eat off the floor.

How many carpenters, welders etc. do you actually know, personally? You must know them all if you presume to speak for them all.

how you do anything...

and this guy makes his own ammo?

And this guy has won matches with it too, manufacturing safe and good ammo for precision rifles is a textbook example of precision in manufacturing. So much for your arguments...

But I've already wasted enough time in this needless and boring discussion that lacks the vital element that is entertainment.

Edited by Woldan

we know very little about poetry, which is embarrassing given we have an mfa in english.

we barely passed p-chem in college.

we don't play any musical instruments, much to the shame o' our paternal grandmother who tried tirelessly to get us to learn to play music.

we will never advise a person 'bout how to raise children. we worked at juvenile hall and there were actual a unit for younger kids... kids younger than 12. the little psychopaths scared the crap outta us.

we don't know anything about flower arrangements and apparently our aesthetic notions for home decor is embarrassing... so says numerous past girlfriends.

we don't know anything about watch repair.

we can build a pc, but we have very little notion as to how they work... when folks on this board discuss technical aspects o' games or pc hardware, we got pretty much 0 to contribute.

etc.

the things we don't know far out number what we does know. that being said, we have a relative diverse background. our grandfather (maternal) were a carpenter, and we did work in a machine shop for a summer. we also worked roofing and roofing supply. as noted earlier, we worked at a juvenile hall and we were working for the US attorney at one time, so while we don't have much current experience with criminal law, we ain't a complete n00b. our current occupation is as brain surgeon... not literal. we is a attorney who is ultra- specialized in first amendment law. we played college football at the d-1 level, and we had scholarship offers for both swimming and fencing... though the fencing scholarship were partial and we suspect we were offered 'cause we were a minority and the school in question were looking to be more diverse. our father were career military and we took more than a few military history courses at University, but am never gonna pretend to know what actual modern combat is like.  we grew up on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and had a horse (pony) before we had a bike. we has experienced winters without enough food to eat or enough fuel to heat our home. we currently own enough real estate such that we could easily retire. we got a bs in physics from Cal, which were a waste, and a bfa from ucsb in english/creative writing... got an mfa too. we taught, briefly in europe and enjoyed spain in particular.  while in europe we learned a bit about polish cooking from a woman in gdansk. we got our jd from boalt, which we is actual quite proud of... most o' our accomplishments is stuff we never bother to share, but getting through boalt were the single toughest thing we did during the first 25 years o' our life. our mother died of cancer, and our sister had lupus-- we watched both of them die ugly deaths. our sister had mental health issues and she were sexually assaulted while attending Cal. we has been playing pnp crpgs since the d&d white box edition were first released. we is a moderate competent home cook.

oh, and 2 (3?) years ago we honest-to-god saved a drowning puppy from a near freezing lake... though we bitched and moaned about the feat before and after doing so. it were monumentally stoopid of us to swim out into that water, but there were a girl crying and, well...

we shot a man in reno just to watch him die.

mostly, we got the advantage o' being old, so we got lots o' experience in many different things.  the things we know nothing about, we typical keep silent 'bout... you might wanna try that more often.

HA! Good Fun!

ps, we never shot a man in reno, or anyplace else in the continental US. however, we did own a winchester, bolt-action .22 from before we has clear memories and we killed innumerable small mammals with it. we know rifles. perhaps ironically, we is so completely incompetent with handguns that we suspect the average 8-year-old handling a handgun for the first time is a better marksman than is Gromnir with any handgun you care to mention... is one reason we never contribute to the handgun discussions.

• Like 2

we know very little about poetry, which is embarrassing given we have an mfa in english.

we barely passed p-chem in college.

we don't play any musical instruments, much to the shame o' our paternal grandmother who tried tirelessly to get us to learn to play music.

we will never advise a person 'bout how to raise children. we worked at juvenile hall and there were actual a unit for younger kids... kids younger than 12. the little psychopaths scared the crap outta us.

we don't know anything about flower arrangements and apparently our aesthetic notions for home decor is embarrassing... so says numerous past girlfriends.

we don't know anything about watch repair.

we can build a pc, but we have very little notion as to how they work... when folks on this board discuss technical aspects o' games or pc hardware, we got pretty much 0 to contribute.

etc.

the things we don't know far out number what we does know. that being said, we have a relative diverse background. our grandfather (maternal) were a carpenter, and we did work in a machine shop for a summer. we also worked roofing and roofing supply. as noted earlier, we worked at a juvenile hall and we were working for the US attorney at one time, so while we don't have much current experience with criminal law, we ain't a complete n00b. our current occupation is as brain surgeon... not literal. we is a attorney who is ultra- specialized in first amendment law. we played college football at the d-1 level, and we had scholarship offers for both swimming and fencing... though the fencing scholarship were partial and we suspect we were offered 'cause we were a minority and the school in question were looking to be more diverse. our father were career military and we took more than a few military history courses at University, but am never gonna pretend to know what actual modern combat is like.  we grew up on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and had a horse (pony) before we had a bike. we has experienced winters without enough food to eat or enough fuel to heat our home. we currently own enough real estate such that we could easily retire. we got a bs in physics from Cal, which were a waste, and a bfa from ucsb in english/creative writing... got an mfa too. we taught, briefly in europe and enjoyed spain in particular.  while in europe we learned a bit about polish cooking from a woman in gdansk. we got our jd from boalt, which we is actual quite proud of... most o' our accomplishments is stuff we never bother to share, but getting through boalt were the single toughest thing we did during the first 25 years o' our life. our mother died of cancer, and our sister had lupus-- we watched both of them die ugly deaths. our sister had mental health issues and she were sexually assaulted while attending Cal. we has been playing pnp crpgs since the d&d white box edition were first released. we is a moderate competent home cook.

oh, and 2 (3?) years ago we honest-to-god saved a drowning puppy from a near freezing lake... though we bitched and moaned about the feat before and after doing so. it were monumentally stoopid of us to swim out into that water, but there were a girl crying and, well...

we shot a man in reno just to watch him die.

mostly, we got the advantage o' being old, so we got lots o' experience in many different things.  the things we know nothing about, we typical keep silent 'bout... you might wanna try that more often.

HA! Good Fun!

ps, we never shot a man in reno, or anyplace else in the continental US. however, we did own a winchester, bolt-action .22 from before we has clear memories and we killed innumerable small mammals with it. we know rifles. perhaps ironically, we is so completely incompetent with handguns that we suspect the average 8-year-old handling a handgun for the first time is a better marksman than is Gromnir with any handgun you care to mention... is one reason we never contribute to the handgun discussions.

Thats a really good post Gromnir, I appreciate the brutal honesty. I generally don't like to embellish recognition when it comes to forum members but I do think you have lived a very interesting, varied, difficult yet ultimately enlightened  and I imagine satisfying life. You have a plethora of life experiences to share with people. That doesn't mean people should automatically agree with you but they should at least consider where your input comes from  :thumbsup:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela