Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Gorth

"Do you guys just brush off the fact that most devs are against you?"

As long as they make games I want to play, nah, they aren't against me.

I'm wagering namelesshero is just another one of those hateful white male ganmers that were proclaimed dead by the very people whose butts he's kissing. he also whines about 'harassment' and 'bullying' even thoguh the side he is on are the ones who murdered me and threatened to murder all my gamer friends  and also used racist and sexist slurs against them accusing  black and female gamers 9as well as others) to all be white males.

*goes back to playing games while dead*

VOLOURN. WINS. AGAIN.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

McIntosh's professor speaks.

http://youtu.be/0mSASrzCuBw

He also advised white males to kill themselves.

https://diversitychronicle.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/progressive-professor-urges-white-male-students-to-commit-suicide-during-class/

Satire of him.

1361358379706393167.GIF

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

@KaineParker - I said "like" for a reason. I don't love it by any stretch of the imagination. I could have used a better example, but Ted was the first person that came to mind. How about Rage against the machine? Like their music, but I don't agree with them politically.

@KaineParker - I said "like" for a reason. I don't love it by any stretch of the imagination. I could have used a better example, but Ted was the first person that came to mind. How about Rage against the machine? Like their music, but I don't agree with them politically.

I got your meaning, but everyone I know that has expressed an opinion on his music has disliked it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

McIntosh's professor speaks.

http://youtu.be/0mSASrzCuBw

He also advised white males to kill themselves.

https://diversitychronicle.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/progressive-professor-urges-white-male-students-to-commit-suicide-during-class/

Satire of him.

1361358379706393167.GIF

Actually, a quick google search on that reveals that him telling white people to kill themselves never happened, and was a fabrication by a satirical website.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/26/rumor-check-did-a-professor-instruct-white-male-students-to-commit-suicide-for-the-benefit-of-society/

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Eh. Splitting hairs.  Even your own link states he's a scumbag. It's pretty clear he wants the white race destroyed. He should start with himself. lead by example as they say. Guy's a psychopath. Trying to defend such a disgrace to the human race.

Actually, a quick google search on that reveals that him telling white people to kill themselves never happened, and was a fabrication by a satirical website.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/26/rumor-check-did-a-professor-instruct-white-male-students-to-commit-suicide-for-the-benefit-of-society/

Which is why I edited it to state it is "satire".

I'll admit I wasn't clear, but I really wanted to use that gif.

Edited by KaineParker

I see that one hurt a bit and you're trying to rationalize.

Devs I admired for a long long time like Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert (and many more) have come out in the right side of this. It's no coincidence that the most prominent dev supporting gamergate has pretty much admitted to sexual harassment, then there's "indies" with kickstarter frauds, and "unknowns" who have made 0 games but of course it's the "sjw" blacklisting that's at fault. While we're at it, you don't seem to know  what blacklisting is.

Meanwhile you're grasping at straws with the Blizzard statement. Thing is I would really like it if more devs could share their honest opinions on gg but you probably wouldn't and you're making a damn fine job at making people(especially women, and that includes women of all hair colours) worried about expressing their opinions.

I have to say this begs a very important consideration, why haven't any serious Devs or Development companies publically aligned with GG?

It leads directly to the credibility of the movement and whether people want to be associated with it ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No. Your stretching. Afterall, they're alreayd on gamergates' side. They make games gamers want to play. Afterall, EA is making DA3 and sports games which I want to play which means they're on MY side.

And, they know we are not dead.

*goes back to playing NHL 14 because EA is on my side so suck it sexist racist hateful mass murdering wannabe  anti female feminists sjws*

VOLOURN. WINS. AGAIN.

No. Your stretching. Afterall, they're alreayd on gamergates' side. They make games gamers want to play. Afterall, EA is making DA3 and sports games which I want to play which means they're on MY side.

Nah, this post has totally unconvinced me

My question was a simple one and just requires a simple answer. What prominent Development companies have publically aligned with GG. And please provide links to substantiate your point

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why does it matter?  If I am a "prominent developer" and I can manipulate the media to my benefit... why would I join a movement that is trying to bring some code of ethics, or (worst case scenario) abolish the guilty sites from said industry?  Prominent studios understand the game, they can play the game, and are possibly content with a media that they know can be bought or coerced.  They are out to make money.  All companies are.  If they can get the media to give positive scores, promotional articles, etc to increase the likelihood of higher sales then they wouldn't want the established media gone.  I can understand the Dev silence as if I were in their shoes I would choose the devil I know. 

However, an indie dev that is up and coming has much to fear, and GG has a few of them speaking out.  Daniel Vavra (not really an indie per se) has lived in a country where the media was completely corrupt and the antithesis of a free media.  I think I would rather have a dev that isn't as well known but has actual experience with a useless media then a more prominent dev like Schaifer that has some ties to people involved.  In fact, I would say I would trust non-California devs more (possibly non-American as well) just because they are so far estranged from the major US gaming media that they are less likely to have close ties to the players involved. 

In the end, I don't care what the developers believe or want.  I am the consumer.  These media outlets are meant to inform me of products from the developers, and they are suppose to protect me from shoddy products or shady deals.  At present, I have huge trust issues with the media outlets.  Just around a month ago they weren't going to tell us consumers that over 40k EA users were hacked.  A whistle blower changed all that.  I can't trust the media nor the "prominent" devs to be ethical and come forward with that sort of news.  What the CEO of EA believes, or the Head of Marketing at Ubisoft thinks, or even developers that I really love like the folks here at Obsidian want are irrelevant to me (the consumer) or the movement.  The media is meant to be an information source to keep you from being hung out to dry because of big corporations, government, etc.  I can't say I trust the media to do that. 

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 1

Well, what do you class as 'serious', before that goalpost shifts inexplicably later on ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My question was a simple one and just requires a simple answer. What prominent Development companies have publically aligned with GG. And please provide links to substantiate your point

Daniel Vavra from Warhorse Studios (Kingdom Come) has been very outspoken about his position in support of GG. There aren't any corporate statements but there are some devs that have come forward. Ultimately, Volo is right; developers are going to err on the side of the consumer.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm pretty sure most larger developers and publishers are going to stay out of it. Not worth the possible fallout, and we consumers can fight our own battles anyways.

• Like 1

SJWs whine about boobies... BIO's new game includes b00bies... seems to me BIO isn't on the side of SJWs and feminists.

SJWs whine about Bayonetta... so Bayonetta 2 isn't made... oops, Bayonetta 2 is made... seems to me those develoeprs (WOMEN!) aren't on the side of SJWs and feminists!

Actions speak louder than words. Publishers and develoeprs will side with the money... that is the gamers.

GAMERS. WIN. AGAIN.

And, oh yeah, gamers still live despite feminists and SJWs wanting to murder us.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

Why does it matter?  If I am a "prominent developer" and I can manipulate the media to my benefit... why would I join a movement that is trying to bring some code of ethics, or (worst case scenario) abolish the guilty sites from said industry?  Prominent studios understand the game, they can play the game, and are possibly content with a media that they know can be bought or coerced.  They are out to make money.  All companies are.  If they can get the media to give positive scores, promotional articles, etc to increase the likelihood of higher sales then they wouldn't want the established media gone.  I can understand the Dev silence as if I were in their shoes I would choose the devil I know. 

However, an indie dev that is up and coming has much to fear, and GG has a few of them speaking out.  Daniel Vavra (not really an indie per se) has lived in a country where the media was completely corrupt and the antithesis of a free media.  I think I would rather have a dev that isn't as well known but has actual experience with a useless media then a more prominent dev like Schaifer that has some ties to people involved.  In fact, I would say I would trust non-California devs more (possibly non-American as well) just because they are so far estranged from the major US gaming media that they are less likely to have close ties to the players involved. 

In the end, I don't care what the developers believe or want.  I am the consumer.  These media outlets are meant to inform me of products from the developers, and they are suppose to protect me from shoddy products or shady deals.  At present, I have huge trust issues with the media outlets.  Just around a month ago they weren't going to tell us consumers that over 40k EA users were hacked.  A whistle blower changed all that.  I can't trust the media nor the "prominent" devs to be ethical and come forward with that sort of news.  What the CEO of EA believes, or the Head of Marketing at Ubisoft thinks, or even developers that I really love like the folks here at Obsidian want are irrelevant to me (the consumer) or the movement.  The media is meant to be an information source to keep you from being hung out to dry because of big corporations, government, etc.  I can't say I trust the media to do that. 

You make some good points that ultimately this is a consumer revolt. But end of the day wouldn't the entire movement achieve more if the actual developers were behind these changes that the consumers say need to happen? Aren't the developers and gamers inextricably linked when it comes to these types of campaigns?

Well, what do you class as 'serious', before that goalpost shifts inexplicably later on ?

Obsidian, Bioware, Ubisoft, Bethesda or any developer that you know about that is part of the industry and has created games. Like Sid Meier?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Daniel Vavra from Warhorse Studios (Kingdom Come) has been very outspoken about his position in support of GG. There aren't any corporate statements but there are some devs that have come forward. Ultimately, Volo is right; developers are going to err on the side of the consumer.

Yes that is one example that I know about

But that studio is the same one that didn't want to give fans the ability to play a female character because it " was unrealistic " due to the historical accuracy of  how they wanted game to be portrayed

Says something about them don't you think?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Okay, so "serious" is just when they agree with you, then.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm pretty sure most larger developers and publishers are going to stay out of it. Not worth the possible fallout, and we consumers can fight our own battles anyways.

Yes that's a valid point and may be the reason

John Milton 

Okay, so "serious" is just when they agree with you, then.

Of course not, but Warhorse Studios has a controversial history when it comes to inclusivity in games?

John Milton 

So... by your logic... so does the developer of Tomb Raider... not allowed to be be male in those game.. Or Twitcher which you like won't allow you to play female. B00 H00!

So... by your logic... so does the developer of Tomb Raider... not allowed to be be male in those game.. Or Twitcher which you like won't allow you to play female. B00 H00!

Its not the same thing, there was a huge controversy when Kingdom Come was first KS

I haven't seen anyone complain about Tomb Raider because the main character has always been female and that's part of the accepted narrative of the game

John Milton 

Its not the same thing, there was a huge controversy when Kingdom Come was first KS

I haven't seen anyone complain about Tomb Raider because the main character has always been female and that's part of the accepted narrative of the game

Or maybe is because guys aren't supposed to complain, nagging is a female trait that I would hope equality will do away with.

Also, developers are allowed to have a vision for what their game will be that doesn't agree with everybody's taste. Why is that cause for complaint? Every argument for female representation on video games is as easily refuted now as it was when Tropes vs. Women first came out.

Why you think that criticizing apples for not being oranges is a good thing is beyond me. 

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif