Journalism and sexism in the games industry

Tale

https://twitter.com/GitGudGG/status/527417272856756224

No need to wonder anymore why MSNBC has been so anti-GG. 

Wait, is the very same Ezra Klein who was behind http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JournoList ?!!

I am stumped.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Another vaguely relevant (aka mostly irrelevant) video that's more for chuckles. This came up in my recommended vids, probably cause of all the GamerGate stuff:

Not looking to make any political statements about this (though I could) I more or less wanted to share it because somewhere in the video there's a comment by a guy that made me go "LOLRLY, YOU CALL THAT HARASSMENT??" I wanna see if people can spot it and if their reaction is just like mine.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Now it got even more weird, Anonymous has joined the fight: https://twitter.com/OpGamerGate

However, now there's a video calling them out as FBI snitches by....Anonymous 

Bonus: 

B1I-oLdIcAAbuPp.jpg

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

This is the part where I make a rare statement of personal condemnation: What I don't understand is that they're perfectly fine letting Stillgray speak for them. Do they just not know who he is? Have they bought into his nonsense about how gamers made him a Nazi sympathiser and his claims that he is no longer a holocaust denier? Because I don't believe he has owned up to the things he did and said, I don't even believe that he has left those things behind. If I wasn't already pro-GG, Stillgray speaking against it would have made me so. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's open and proud Nazis. Thirty years in a convent isn't enough to atone for the **** this disgusting piece of human filth has said and done. It makes me so mad that someone like that can pretend to have the high moral ground. Any ground he stands on is tainted by very definition.

Edited by TrueNeutral

This is the part where I make a rare statement of personal condemnation: What I don't understand is that they're perfectly fine letting Stillgray speak for them. Do they just not know who he is? Have they bought into his nonsense about how gamers made him a Nazi sympathiser and his claims that he is no longer a holocaust denier? Because I don't believe he has owned up to the things he did and said, I don't even believe that he has left those things behind. If I wasn't already pro-GG, Stillgray speaking against it would have made me so. If there is one thing I can't stand, it's open and proud Nazis. Thirty years in a convent isn't enough to atone for the **** this disgusting piece of human filth has said and done. It makes me so mad that someone like that can pretend to have the high moral ground. Any ground he stands on is tainted by very definition.

TN, these people have allied with Gawker, a site that doesn't pay employees and is responsible for spreading celeb nudes, doxxing, leaking scripts, **** shaming, and bullying in general. I don't think they give a **** about morality as long as someone supports them. Calling us bigots while publicly defending neo-Nazis or misandrists(Samantha Allen) is ridiculous, and is a large part of what is driving gg.

Almost same as Meshugger twitter pic, but with one more reply and it's gold:

https://archive.today/BPlJF

This is perfect.

In other news, some Rebulican running for Austin City Council is doing an AMA for KiA in a little bit. I'm pretty sure it's for publicity, but whatever.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh and Jennie Bharaj was on that David Pakman show.

http://youtu.be/kqwLyjcQ6SU

I've gained a lot of respect for this guy, seems to be very fair and doesn't try to pander to anyone.

Also I think Jennie is kinda hot.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

B1I-oLdIcAAbuPp.jpg

She is an advocate for gender equality between men and women as she sees it. According to their favourite definition of the word this makes her a feminist. Or have they conveniently forgotten their favourite dictionary definition?

Edited by Fighter

Oh and Jennie Bharaj was on that David Pakman show.

http://youtu.be/kqwLyjcQ6SU

I've gained a lot of respect for this guy, seems to be very fair and doesn't try to pander to anyone.

Also I think Jennie is kinda hot.

Kinda?

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Another vaguely relevant (aka mostly irrelevant) video that's more for chuckles. This came up in my recommended vids, probably cause of all the GamerGate stuff:

Not looking to make any political statements about this (though I could) I more or less wanted to share it because somewhere in the video there's a comment by a guy that made me go "LOLRLY, YOU CALL THAT HARASSMENT??" I wanna see if people can spot it and if their reaction is just like mine.

Reminded me of this old strip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy5vRGtKPY0

Anonymous or Anonyomous (at 0:01)?

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Jennie seems to be talking in circles during the interview. "We are so reliant on these journalists.... We don't even need these journalists now... We need them to change but we do/don't need them"

I do think Pakman has done a great job with his coverage.

Edited by Noviere

Oh and Jennie Bharaj was on that David Pakman show.http://youtu.be/kqwLyjcQ6SUI've gained a lot of respect for this guy, seems to be very fair and doesn't try to pander to anyone.Also I think Jennie is kinda hot.

Kinda?

I don't want to go overboard, but I'd say she'd fit in the attractive women thread. That said, she isn't well-versed in being interviewed, but I've been told that it can be pretty hard if you aren't used to it.

Total Biscuit; Ethics in Games Media; Stephen Totilo of Kotaku comes to the table to discuss

Was just posted, so I have'nt listened to it through and through yet. Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Almost same as Meshugger twitter pic, but with one more reply and it's gold:

https://archive.today/BPlJF

It got better.

http://m.imgur.com/LYIeShl

• Like 2

Apparently Anita was on the Colbert Report?

I'm familiar with the Daily Show and Colbert Report, and unfortunately you cannot watch their show online if you're outside of the US.
Anyone mind summarizing what was said, or know a way I could find the interview?

All I've been able to dig up is apparently Colbert asked her to name three sexist games right now and all she did was stutter before making a stupid blanket statement that the audience applauded.

EDIT: Also apparently now Anita's promoting some #CancelColbert movement??

Let me clarify I'm not reporting news here, I'm inquiring. I can't find much details or info on this myself cause I seem locked out on most of it. Was hoping someone could explain what all of this is about.

EDIT2: NVM at least found a date, the hashtag was months ago, so someone just showing off the alleged hypocrisy.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

"EDIT: Also apparently now Anita's promoting some #CancelColbert movement??"

Seriously? Someone has to be trolling? I cna't believe she'd go down that route. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm familiar with the Daily Show and Colbert Report, and unfortunately you cannot watch their show online if you're outside of the US.

Anyone mind summarizing what was said, or know a way I could find the interview?

All I've been able to dig up is apparently Colbert asked her to name three sexist games right now and all she did was stutter before making a stupid blanket statement that the audience applauded.

Let me clarify I'm not reporting news here, I'm inquiring. I can't find much details or info on this myself cause I seem locked out on most of it. Was hoping someone could explain what all of this is about.

EDIT2: NVM at least found a date, the hashtag was months ago, so someone just showing off the alleged hypocrisy.

I didn't watch it, but the reddit seems dived whether that Colbert was making fun of the whole thing or coming out on Anita's side.

The name 3 thing was hilarious though, if it happened as described.

I didn't watch it, but the reddit seems dived whether that Colbert was making fun of the whole thing or coming out on Anita's side.

The name 3 thing was hilarious though, if it happened as described.

Just an FYI, Comedy Central used to post all episodes of the show up the next day after it aired. I think they still do. I'd watch myself but foreign IPs got blocked from doing so a couple years back. So yeah you might be able to see it for yourself tomorrow on their website.

Pirates roam the seven seas free of landlocked countries and their silly borders.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Watched the Colbert Report, he does some in-character ball-busting, such as acusing her of wanting to put men's balls in a felt purse, but it was pretty heavily anti-gamergate. Realistically though, guests on these kind of shows are there to promote their piece, and not answer hard questions, and thats exactly what happened.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Watched the Colbert Report, he does some in-character ball-busting, such as acusing her of wanting to put men's balls in a felt purse, but it was pretty heavily anti-gamergate. Realistically though, guests on these kind of shows are there to promote their piece, and not answer hard questions, and thats exactly what happened.

What I'm seeing from the anti-folks is some variation of "oooooh GamerGate got owned", while most supporters seem more interested in sending emails or talking about the Totilo talk with TotalBiscuit. I suppose it's because the supporters have already had much worse lobbed at them and aren't affected by media reports very much and that the TotalBiscuit bit was actually focused on the ethics GanerGate says it's concerned about.

*shrug*

Let the mainstream media bleat all they want, if we get even a few sites to adopt more ethical standards and a less condescending tone, we've slain our dragon.

1) Those were merely examples, and even so you've done nothing to prove me wrong in that regard. That's exactly what I said: we as individuals do not conveniently fall into categories or political stances 100% and a conservative can support liberal stances on various issues. This does NOT however change that there are liberal stances and conservative stances. This merely means people are complex individuals who support different ideologies on different issues. Feminism however lacks defined stances.

”Opposition to sex based oppression and equal rights and/or liberation for the female sex.”

This is problematic and leads to very unproductive discussion. You can see it for yourself in that half of the GamerGate discussion is now about our opposition to the feminist clique within the industry rather than against the corrupt journalists.

That’s basically what it’s always been about.

2) "Opposition to sex based oppression and equal rights and/or liberation for the female sex."

Congratulations. You have now named your opinion on what feminism is. Just like every other person who supports or opposes feminism.

The problem is that without defined stances regarding what feminism is about, your opinion is as valuable as those opinions opposing them.

You ask for a defining stance of feminism and then dismiss it because feminism ‘has no defined stances’. I’m not sure what you’re expecting here, there’s no high-pope of feminism to decide what feminism is and isn’t.

Fact of the matter is that regardless of how obvious and straightforward you may consider your above opinion, feminists who hate men and consider them problematic exist, and this contradicts your opinion.

It does not. My definition was worded to include them.

3) I'm sorry I didn't clarify there. I am indeed ignorant about the exact types of feminism, and only had a hunch different types exist.

Therein lies your problem.