Drama in indy gaming and games journalism

Gorth

http://apgnation.com/archives/2014/09/29/7694/breaking-the-chain-an-interview-with-william-usher

Interview with the journalist who leaked GameJournoPros email chain.

The game industry is not above critique, chiding or criticism. However, seeing a grassroots movement of radicals attempt to infiltrate various forms of media and begin to utilize the platform to control who gets coverage and who doesn’t (as seen with The Fine Young Capitalists) as well as content-shaming developers into censoring their work, is the exact sort of thing that will eventually bring ruin to a lot of creative potentiality within the industry. Most gamers simply want to play games and most game developers simply want to create games. I would like to see the industry organically grow with a wide range of voices and visions for interactivity, without a self-appointed moral-police-squad there to dictate what games people are allowed to play or how developers are allowed to explore artistic avenues to create games.

• Like 8

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Since Exitium used to post here too I think this might be relevant:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/516642416732807168

I think he is referring to RPG Codex(the root of all evil), where he made those "jews = bad, hitler = good" posts, but can we be sure? I think not. Maybe someone here corrupted young Extiums pure mind with toxic thoughts. 

I think he is referring to RPG Codex(the root of all evil), where he made those "jews = bad, hitler = good" posts, but can we be sure? I think not. Maybe someone here corrupted young Extiums pure mind with toxic thoughts. 

Oh I get it now. "The vidya gaemz made me do it."

Oh I get it now. "The vidya gaemz made me do it."

Bioware games are the leading cause of sexual frustration and suicide.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Even before the Codex, he was a fallout fanatic from sites like nma which is how I remember him. Though, I mostly remember him from the BIS forums.

Even before the Codex, he was a fallout fanatic from sites like nma which is how I remember him. Though, I mostly remember him from the BIS forums.

DID HE SUPPORT DA ENCLAVE????

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I've been thinking and it actually makes sense for gamer SJW to be fan of Hitler. I mean in every game with nazis they are always the bad guys to be shot, stabbed and exploded to bits. In other words they are always harassed. It was about time for this to happen: a SWJ white knighting true little guy demonized by decades of gamer propaganda. 

Being fan of Hitler is a logical step for every SJW who fights against toxic gamer culture.

I've been thinking and it actually makes sense for gamer SJW to be fan of Hitler. I mean in every game with nazis they are always the bad guys to be shot, stabbed and exploded to bits. In other words they are always harassed. It was about time for this to happen: a SWJ white knighting true little guy demonized by decades of gamer propaganda. 

Being fan of Hitler is a logical step for every SJW who fights against toxic gamer culture.

Not to mention how they want to dictate art to utilize it as propaganda and tend to be obsessed with race.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Never knew him, but with his obsession with this drama, his past as a Nazi and a crook on Reddit and his whole "born again" routine, the guy's a fount of amusement :lol:

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Never knew him, but with his obsession with this drama, his past as a Nazi and a crook on Reddit and his whole "born again" routine, the guy's a fount of amusement :lol:

I guess feminism is the same as the conventional religions in this regard... the "repentant sinner born again" converts tend to be much more obnoxious fanatics than the people who've simply been socialized into it in their formative years.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

You mean the antisemetic Nazi nonsense isn't prevalent on the Codex anymore? That's good to know.

Think it's contained mainly in the GD forum, from what I've seen.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know it´s not right on topic but SJW related anyway. Let us imagine the agenda of anything or everything is equal, not only in gender but we abandoned all hirarchy in corporations etc has succeded. So what could a futuristic adventure game conversation be ? First we should think about the prota-(no gender anymore) prototyp or just humanoid-X. So we have humanoid-X now and what should "it" be without offending any of the new 60 gender types or virtual creations anyone wants to be. 

So humanoid-X has to look like everybody´s own imagination... what ? How is a developer supposed to design humanoid-X when anyone can be offended or "harrased" because the "it" of the game is not a real representation of "it" ? Ok, so we already see that the whole stuff makes no practical sense because it´s impossible to create humanoid-X that represents anything. And what if dogs start to get implants that let them speak ? Do we have to let speaking dogs to decide how we have to design games too ? So we not only have problem with humanoid-X but now with dog-X.

... some genius managed to finaly create the "it" for anybody and now whats with the story ? OK, a detective story of a murder case... XYZ has to infiltrate a corporation to break into the inner circle of the management... oh wait... there is no hirarchy anymore so what kind of situtation we might find then ?

Anarchy!

dont you see this is all just about anarchy. These people destroy the laws of nature and our whole civilisation and call it "social justice" but in reality it´s pure anarchy. I´m pretty sure its a pandoras box now opened and these people dont see the light anymore. They are so deep in trouble in their own illusion or strange world i dont know and they pull us all down. Are you happy or do you think it´s fun anymore to read gaming stuff when the whole time you are bombarded with topics that are not GAME related ? It is a sign already when journalist prefers problem talk over the aspect of fun in gaming. Gaming should uplift you and not the opposite. They are just negative and throw it out because they have problems with themself.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

"Kissing vs. killing: How Shadow of Mordor fails at explaining the difference"

https://archive.today/XpO7f

I'm kinda disappointed they didn't go with "How Shadow of Mordor is going to make you kill your loved ones".  

I don't even know how to respond to this.  That has to be one of the stupidest articles ever.  Console shooters are more popular because you pull a trigger to shoot?  Seriously?

I knew the standards in games media were bad, but just...wow.  How can an editor read that kind of garbage and allow it to be posted to their website?

I'm kinda disappointed they didn't go with "How Shadow of Mordor is going to make you kill your loved ones".  

Post modernism really is the eternal well of bull****.

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That was pretty terrible. The things SJWs get offended about amaze me.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

These people feel too much.

• Like 2

I know it´s not right on topic but SJW related anyway. Let us imagine the agenda of anything or everything is equal, not only in gender but we abandoned all hirarchy in corporations etc has succeded.

Not trying to discredit your point you were trying to make, but on that same exact point, genders are NOT equal.

I don't mean that in the sense that I think it's impossible for a woman to best a man in a fight; men get a significant starting advantage on this front, but ultimately the victor will be the one who dedicates more time to the practice.

I mean this in the sense that, for example, there was a study recently where companies and employers were willing to openly admit they avoid hiring potential mothers to avoid fronting the bill for maternity leave. In another example perhaps more of you would be familiar with: Caesar's Legion. Caesar himself is by no means sexist (though many of his Legionaires miss this detail and become sexist themselves), he's a realist. Women aren't forbidden from serving the military because he considers them inferior, they're forbidden from serving because he thinks the best way to teach humankind selflessness is via indoctrination. Indoctrination requires children, children require pregnant mothers, and PREGNANT women are absolute ass at fighting. For the Legion to be productive and effective in all it's efforts, from warfare to reforming humanity, Caesar demands a baby in every womb. It's not sexism, it's merely reality. If men were the gender to bear children and go through child labor, the roles would be switched. That women are forbidden from warfare due to childbirth is as natural as the Boomers - a tribe that gives it's oldest living member the leadership title due to the wisdom of their age - having a woman as a leader: because women naturally tend to live longer.

The example is fantasy, but the mere point is that no, genders aren't equal. Again not in the sense that one of us is superior to the other, but in the sense that we act differently and our bodies are different.

Trying to be concious of that and change it for the universal benefit is one thing. I for one would be 100% for a government effort to diminish the employer mentality of skipping over would-be mothers by offering some extra form of compensation for hiring a woman that gives birth, in attempt to balance it out. Yes yes I'm well aware this can go poorly if it's done TOO well and we get the opposite effect with employers skipping men, but we AT LEAST have to try and surely we can manage to balance it out. Doing so would be in the interest of society as a collective, because a society that leaves a pregnant woman penniless and starving is not a society that'll survive.

But trying to eliminate our differences is insanity. Trying to eliminate those differences is the blatant denial of reality. To provide an example of what I mean, a practical one that applies to this situation with feminism in video games? I for one would elect that the canon Courier Six of New Vegas is male, should a canon character ever be decided. Why? Because a female character kind of diminishes the drama and storyline of the game in that a female courier has little incentive to support the Legion, making it a dramatic decision amongst three factions rather than four. Likewise Cass seems geared towards being a minor romantic interest, and this sub-plot is just gone with a female Courier. I would want a male Courier because of a logical reason; the story of New Vegas and it's gameplay feel more consistent with a male. But if we decide protagonist gender simply based on meeting a quota and shutting up critics who are quick to play the sexism card, then this story (and others) start to lose impact and value to minor degrees, for NO other reason beyond quotas. You may say sure it's a small degree, but I would argue that again - for the thousandth time - we're essentially censoring art.

What's more is that feminism is not a hivemind. There's reasonable feminists, then there's extremists. On top of this we CANNOT be certain the effect would always be small. Who's to say that, if Silverstring media ran things and had run things since, say 2006, Caesar's Legion may never have existed within New Vegas period, based solely on the grounds that their methodology includes sexism and rape? IT'S A TRIGGER!!!! We can't have that!

I don't support Caesar's Legion in gameplay, but New Vegas as an artform? Caesar's Legion is hands down one of my favorite factions. They challenged my beliefs and made me think in ways I hadn't before. It dared me to play devil's advocate for all kinds of things, and lo and behold I gained all sorts of perspectives on life I never would've expected. And I for one consider a potential New Vegas without them to be an absolute travesty.

But I digress. Genders are not equal, that's reality. To speak out against these differences when it's in the interest of society as a whole (aka we should look out for pregnant women and their well-being, for example) is fine, but to do more...? To do more is insanity, especially when I for one would definitely question the legitimacy of claims stating there's limited female representation in games.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?