What you did today.

Rosbjerg

As far as I'm concerned someone who goes off kicking a random dog on the street for no real reason deserves to get hit or bitten, someone who goes off killing a random dog on the street for no real reason deserve to get their teeth punched in. Obviously my opinion on this is 100% emotion based, and lacks real rationality and consistency with my general opinion on harming other living beings, but it just somehow feels so much worse being mean to some domesticated animal who trusts you to some extent and isn't trying to fight you nor flee from you than shooting some deer that's either trying to run off or just not aware of your presence, but that attempt at rationalizing things again goes against my emotions as I'd feel just as much rage about someone killing a scared stray cat as I would with a dog or a friendlier cat.

A strike isn't the same as killing the person.

And kicking a dog isn't the same as hacking a dog apart with a fire axe. Your point?

Never said it was the same. My response was quite proportional and maybe she will learn a lesson from it. Though maybe she would need to suffer more damage than that for it to sink in I am guessing

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As far as I'm concerned someone who goes off kicking a random dog on the street for no real reason deserves to get hit or bitten, someone who goes off killing a random dog on the street for no real reason deserve to get their teeth punched in. Obviously my opinion on this is 100% emotion based, and lacks real rationality and consistency with my general opinion on harming other living beings, but it just somehow feels so much worse being mean to some domesticated animal who trusts you to some extent and isn't trying to fight you nor flee from you than shooting some deer that's either trying to run off or just not aware of your presence, but that attempt at rationalizing things again goes against my emotions as I'd feel just as much rage about someone killing a scared stray cat as I would with a dog or a friendlier cat.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't stop my dog from biting the heck out of a person like that in this situation. Also, your emotional reaction is perfectly understandable, and I pretty much feel the same way, but hitting people isn't the answer (even if I'm convinced my dog deserves better than the person in question).

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't stop my dog from biting the heck out of a person like that in this situation. Also, your emotional reaction is perfectly understandable, and I pretty much feel the same way, but hitting people isn't the answer (even if I'm convinced my dog deserves better than the person in question).

I don't really know the law about this at all, not where I live and certainly not where you live, but, provided the person complained to the authorities, wouldn't the dog biting her be cause for the the authorities forcing the dog to be put down? If that be the case you can't really allow your dog to bite back. In any event, the way I see it, letting a person kick your dog without defending it or reacting is sort of betraying your dogs trust in you as its owner, when you own a pet it is sorta your duty to ensure it gets food, water, protection from predators, and excercise, whilst yelling at the person severely enough might convey the same effect, I still do believe this is a valid argument for why limited violence would be an acceptably appropriate response, this line of thought still doesn't rationalize the standard human emotions regarding some animals, but it does rationalize an owner responding like Malc did.

I'm a bit confused how Malcador's dog got close enough to this person for her to kick at?  If you have your dog under control, it shouldn't really happen, unless that person went out of their way to approach the dog.

Many people are terrified of dogs, she could have been lashing out defensively.

Also, when I run with my dog, I give him a good jab with my knee every time he cuts in on my path.  He is young and I'm training him to understand that is not ok.  It's not a hard jab, but it lets him know not to do it.

I don't really know the law about this at all, not where I live and certainly not where you live, but, provided the person complained to the authorities, wouldn't the dog biting her be cause for the the authorities forcing the dog to be put down?

I'm also ignorant of the law on this matter, but I'm pretty sure that if someone kicks a dog, no sane court would force the dog to be put down if it bites back in response.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Sidewalks aren't all that wide, Hurlshot. Well in my area, people's lots encroach a lot which is rather odd. Plenty of people just edge by the dachshund and no worries and I do keep him under control.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't really know the law about this at all, not where I live and certainly not where you live, but, provided the person complained to the authorities, wouldn't the dog biting her be cause for the the authorities forcing the dog to be put down?

I'm also ignorant of the law on this matter, but I'm pretty sure that if someone kicks a dog, no sane court would force the dog to be put down if it bites back in response.

Sadly, you would be wrong about that. :(

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I'm pretty sure that if someone kicks a dog, no sane court would force the dog to be put down if it bites back in response.

Sadly, you would be wrong about that. :(

My opinion of courts is now sadly diminished.

Sidewalks aren't all that wide, Hurlshot. Well in my area, people's lots encroach a lot which is rather odd. Plenty of people just edge by the dachshund and no worries and I do keep him under control.

Wait, a dachshund?  I take back what a said, she sounds like a wanker.  :p

Also not the dog I pictured Malcador with.   :no:

• Like 2

Wait, a dachshund?  I take back what a said, she sounds like a wanker.   :p

Also not the dog I pictured Malcador with.   :no:

I sort of had the idea that it would be a smallish dog since she tried to kick it.

She probably wouldn't have if it was a large dog.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Wait, a dachshund? I take back what a said, she sounds like a wanker. :p

Also not the dog I pictured Malcador with. :no:

Hey dachshunds are suitable dogs for me. Needlessly stubborn and arrogant :p

I hate it when people with dogs take up the entire lane. It happened to me today. A man with to dogs on each side. I had to walk on the freaking grass to get by. I'd elbo drop them, but I am allergic. I gave the man an evil stare. That'll teach him.

I hate it when people with dogs take up the entire lane. It happened to me today. A man with to dogs on each side. I had to walk on the freaking grass to get by. I'd elbo drop them, but I am allergic. I gave the man an evil stare. That'll teach him.

This is because you are a walking noob, real pedestrians parkour off the fire hydrant and the wall to overtake the silly animals. 

• Like 1

My psychiatrist gave me a semi-formal diagnosis of "High functioning autistic" today.

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. You have autism but you function properly?

It's Aspergers Syndrome. Basically you're able to MOSTLY function in public environments but you're still a bit behind developmentally.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My psychiatrist gave me a semi-formal diagnosis of "High functioning autistic" today.

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. You have autism but you function properly?

It's Aspergers Syndrome. Basically you're able to MOSTLY function in public environments but you're still a bit behind developmentally.
I see. That isn't all that bad. I know two people with Aspergerd and I feel they can handle themselves well enough.

I also work with kids that suffer from Autism or Aspergers. There is a big difference between the two from my experience.

What I am doing is not sleeping despite the fact that it is now 4AM over here. I refuse to take sleeping pills.

Welcome to the club.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Had a really weird experience when I tried to sit down and handle some work. Went into some sort of anxiety attack, all the flaws, mistakes, problems, or general issues just magnified up and riffled through like a flipbook on loop in my head, then started spiralling off from work stuff to life in general stuff.

A wee bit disconcerting.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Coming home, being happy that it's finally weekend, thinking of nothing evil...

... got a letter from my renter, my rent will increase on 01.01.2015 by quite a margin. Probably won't be able to cover it, so after 8 years, I'll guess now I have to find a new place where I can deploy all my shait. And I don't have a good feeling about it, because everywhere else around here the rent is even higher already. Unless, of course, you want to live in certain areas, where you don't really feel motivated to go outside when it's dark.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."