What you did today.

Rosbjerg

I am thinking something along the lines of a Monastery or Priory, although I did like The Common Hops from Lexx. I also was contemplating something along the lines of The Classroom or something else suitably historical to fit my personality. We have a place called Liquid Bread down the ways and I like that type of name.

Fermented Friars? Babylon Beers?

This is hard.

Ales of Eden.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Lexx may have won the name game, so far my wife has already approved The Common Hops.  I can see the sign looking pretty good too, maybe something simple with hops and barley worked into it.

165763445-hop-and-barley-gettyimages.jpg

Not quite like that, but it's the right idea.

• Like 1

Is your work helping with the transfer costs, what do you do for a living Gorthfucius. Are you a PM?

Not a cent. I live in the wondrous world of software development :)

Gorthfucius what languages do you program in and if you don't mind me asking why did you decide to leave Oz for Germany?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lexx may have won the name game, so far my wife has already approved The Common Hops. I can see the sign looking pretty good too, maybe something simple with hops and barley worked into it.

165763445-hop-and-barley-gettyimages.jpg

Not quite like that, but it's the right idea.

It depends, what kind of vibe are you going for?

Common Hops sounds like it would work wonderfully for a more relaxed place, a bit homey and perhaps with a sense of personal belonging. I would probably stop into a place like that, but I prefer to do my drinking at Kenneally's rather than some overpriced hipster bar.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Gorthfucius what languages do you program in and if you don't mind me asking why did you decide to leave Oz for Germany?

I guess the question should be, is there one I haven't tried (Cobol, Algol and Fortran)?

Past exploits covers LISP, Smalltalk, Pascal, C, C++, C#, VB, ASP, T-SQL, Forth. Various 8, 6, 16 and 32 bit assembly languages, Proprietary APL for various applications (E.g. Ingress and similar), a smattering of Java and probably a handful obscure things that I've forgotten about.

These days, I mostly do ERP Systems for corporations (finance, order handling, point of sale systems, process/project control, manufacturing, supply chain, e-commerce, warehouse management etc.). As for reasons, it was work related (too many years in one place) ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I guess the question should be, is there one I haven't tried (Cobol, Algol and Fortran)?

Past exploits covers LISP, Smalltalk, Pascal, C, C++, C#, VB, ASP, T-SQL, Forth. Various 8, 6, 16 and 32 bit assembly languages, Proprietary APL for various applications (E.g. Ingress and similar), a smattering of Java and probably a handful obscure things that I've forgotten about.

These days, I mostly do ERP Systems for corporations (finance, order handling, point of sale systems, process/project control, manufacturing, supply chain, e-commerce, warehouse management etc.). As for reasons, it was work related (too many years in one place) ;)

I'm impressed,you are an experienced  developer ( and I don't mean to dismiss people who know VB or HTML only  ), C and  C ++  are real building block languages. If someone knows them I consider them " hardcore "

Good to know, how are you finding Berlin? What are the people like and the culture compared to Oz. Do you have friends there ? Sorry to inundate you with all these questions, I am just interested when people make these types of moves how they find it :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Good to know, how are you finding Berlin? What are the people like and the culture compared to Oz. Do you have friends there ? Sorry to inundate you with all these questions, I am just interested when people make these types of moves how they find it :)

I don't mind the questions. I think I'll need to sit down and think it through before giving a real answer. At the moment, I've had my hands full just surviving and ensuring that I also had a place to sleep the day after tomorrow and if nothing else, I've become an expert in public transport systems using everything from bus to s-bahn, u-Bahn, tram and train to a large number of suburbs (in all compass directions) where I've crashed for the night in hotels. In short, most of my contact with Berlin and its people has been colleagues, commuters and hotel staff. Not a sufficient demographical representation :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't mind the questions. I think I'll need to sit down and think it through before giving a real answer. At the moment, I've had my hands full just surviving and ensuring that I also had a place to sleep the day after tomorrow and if nothing else, I've become an expert in public transport systems using everything from bus to s-bahn, u-Bahn, tram and train to a large number of suburbs (in all compass directions) where I've crashed for the night in hotels. In short, most of my contact with Berlin and its people has been colleagues, commuters and hotel staff. Not a sufficient demographical representation :p

When you get time I am interested in the cultural differences, I have been to Berlin but that was on holiday on the way to skiing in Austria

I imagine many things will be similar to Oz, they are both first world  Western countries but there will obviously be some differences

John Milton 

Spent a good deal of a client meeting wondering how quickly I could kill him with the pen. Sadly was a medium point not a fine one, so determined it'd be rather long. Did get a laugh out of his stunning realization that maybe, maybe, approaching a problem from one direction and with a plan was a good idea.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm kind of freaking out about the idea of leaving my super stable teaching job and starting a bar pretty much all by myself.  I've got a decent start on a business plan, a good location, and a lot of people to call on for help, but it's super risky regardless.    :blink:

• Like 4

Make sure you have a contingency plan if you fail.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, it's pretty hard running your own business. And very easy to be one of those statistics with so many businesses failing in the first year. My partner runs her own company and it's very time consuming for her and at times myself when she gets me involved, but I try and distance myself as much as I can away from it. Her phone never stops. Even last night when I was playing WL2, I heard her ask me a question from the other room and I had to look something up while she was answering a query. But one of the biggest things is cash flow. Can not understate that enough.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist
  • Like 1

I'm kind of freaking out about the idea of leaving my super stable teaching job and starting a bar pretty much all by myself. I've got a decent start on a business plan, a good location, and a lot of people to call on for help, but it's super risky regardless. :blink:

Yeah it's pretty scary. When my father quit his job to start a business he was pretty stressed out, and I remember the first year being scary as hell for him.

• Like 1

I made tacos and participated in our democracy

I'm kind of freaking out about the idea of leaving my super stable teaching job and starting a bar pretty much all by myself.  I've got a decent start on a business plan, a good location, and a lot of people to call on for help, but it's super risky regardless.    :blink:

Good luck!

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Good luck man, if you're as good out there as you are on here you're going to knock it out of the park.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a big statement about a career change . Can you share more information. Why did you decide this? What type of bar..gastro pub ....strip bar...student bar..upmarket. How big is it going to be ? What will the quality of food be like, if you are offering food. Its very exciting :)

John Milton 

how are you finding Berlin?

It was quite easy. I hitched a lift to Potsdam and up the E51 to Checkpoint Bravo. I remember HIND gunships floating along the autobahn and Trabants abandoned by the roadside as the Ossies headed west. I slept on a bench in Kreuzburg and drank schnapps while East German marines helped students take down large sections of wall with a crane. I have my piece of wall in the loft, a shard of concrete sprayed with mauve and blue metallic paint.

That would have been January 1990.

Edit - No, I didn't see David Hasselhoff.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice on the business.  Right now I'm working on my business plan and cost analysis.  My gut feeling is it will take another year for me to build up enough equity to qualify for a decent loan, but I'm going to try for a small business loan and see what they say.  I was also seeing if I could find a decent partner to go in with me and match my investment, but that is not a sure thing.  I have $10,000 right now and I need about $90k to start it up, but I should be up to about $20k within a year in seed money, and that should make it much easier to get a small business loan to cover the gap.  

My wife still has her salary to keep our family finances running, but we do need to pay off a car (it is almost there) and look at trimming some expenses.

As for my backup plan, I will be taking a 1-year sabbatical when it is time to open the doors.  That gives me a full year to focus on the business, and then I can re-evaluate after that.  I can always go back to the classroom, it pays well and I have benefits, but I've been teaching for 14 years and I would like to challenge myself with something different. 

• Like 2

Week three of my sponsored no booze and no caffeine thing. Raised over £100 for cancer support - assuming I make it to the end of the month.

No more headaches, not really lost much noticeable weight, but I am definitely eating less crap. Out of preference I'm eating salads, which is downright strange.Sweat has stopped smelling odd.

Miss the coffee at breakfast, miss the beer just after work. Otherwise not bad. Helps that I have liberally placed bottles of booze and jars of coffee around. Easier not to succumb when it's so easy.

Still not actually enjoying fruit tea. Hate going out and drinking fruit juice or soft drinks. They just make me wired.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Week three of my sponsored no booze and no caffeine thing. Raised over £100 for cancer support - assuming I make it to the end of the month.

No more headaches, not really lost much noticeable weight, but I am definitely eating less crap. Out of preference I'm eating salads, which is downright strange.Sweat has stopped smelling odd.

Miss the coffee at breakfast, miss the beer just after work. Otherwise not bad. Helps that I have liberally placed bottles of booze and jars of coffee around. Easier not to succumb when it's so easy.

Still not actually enjoying fruit tea. Hate going out and drinking fruit juice or soft drinks. They just make me wired.

Excellent effort Walsie, I know how hard it is to change  routines. Especially when you enjoy them

Is this break just for the  month or longer ?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice on the business.  Right now I'm working on my business plan and cost analysis.  My gut feeling is it will take another year for me to build up enough equity to qualify for a decent loan, but I'm going to try for a small business loan and see what they say.  I was also seeing if I could find a decent partner to go in with me and match my investment, but that is not a sure thing.  I have $10,000 right now and I need about $90k to start it up, but I should be up to about $20k within a year in seed money, and that should make it much easier to get a small business loan to cover the gap.  

My wife still has her salary to keep our family finances running, but we do need to pay off a car (it is almost there) and look at trimming some expenses.

As for my backup plan, I will be taking a 1-year sabbatical when it is time to open the doors.  That gives me a full year to focus on the business, and then I can re-evaluate after that.  I can always go back to the classroom, it pays well and I have benefits, but I've been teaching for 14 years and I would like to challenge myself with something different. 

... I watch wayyy to much Bar Rescue to even try this Honestly.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Today I fooled around at work.

Suffered through a Uni acquaintance at lunch not shutting up over his God damned kid.