Scottish Independence?

BruceVC

How about some scientific anthropology?

The scientists found that the descendants of Britain's oldest skeleton, Cheddar Man (9,000 years old), actually lived in the same area as the bones were found. Stuff like that makes me dizzy - 300 generations!

http://family-tree.co.uk/2013/06/cheddar-man-descendants-reunited/

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Looks like the "no" camp is in a comfortable lead. I guess come tomorrow, no Scot will ever allowed to complain about the English again.

After all, it's settled. They secretly love them.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

You guys are like that stereotypical passionate couple. Throwing stuff at each other, yelling, jealous of potential affairs, threathening to leave forever...only to look each other in a short moment of silence and then have the most sensual make-up sex afterwards.

Sadly, one is hairy old drunkard wearing questionable clothing (kilt) and the other is a gentleman, sexually repressed to persversion, with an unhealthy interest in Football. You just can't make any sexy imagery from that :(

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not this time. The lid of Pandora's box has been blown off with Semtex. The Jocks will get ludicrously generous terms to stay in, home rule funded with English money.

And Scots MPs will still vote on English matters but not vice versa.

This anomaly has had it's day, and the Scottish conduct of the referendum, predicated on anti-English bile, has soured the Union. So the fun and games begin - the main political parties have totally changed the constitutional settlement in these islands without reference to Parliament. It's a disgrace.

Imagine if Texas wanted to secede from the United States. In order to keep it inside, the President offers it unprecedented Federal funding and multiple exemptions from Federal law. And he doesn't ask Congress.

This is what is happening in the UK right now.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Not this time. The lid of Pandora's box has been blown off with Semtex. The Jocks will get ludicrously generous terms to stay in, home rule funded with English money.

And Scots MPs will still vote on English matters but not vice versa.

This anomaly has had it's day, and the Scottish conduct of the referendum, predicated on anti-English bile, has soured the Union. So the fun and games begin - the main political parties have totally changed the constitutional settlement in these islands without reference to Parliament. It's a disgrace.

Imagine if Texas wanted to secede from the United States. In order to keep it inside, the President offers it unprecedented Federal funding and multiple exemptions from Federal law. And he doesn't ask Congress.

This is what is happening in the UK right now.

simple solution for US and Texas example:

somebody points out that Texas being a separate country would endanger the ncaa status of numerous college football teams, particularly UT and Texas A&M. any popular backing for Texas secession would immediately evaporate to negligible levels.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Parmesan paisan ... I spit up my froo-froo hard cider laughing. 

Yeah, there is no way the flag of the UK is going to run Scottish blue. I have one, you know. A big ol' standard size flag of Scotland, since my pasty ancestry is from there. And because the Irish are irritating. The brogue is much more appealing, too. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Its basically a foregone conclusion that Scotland will stay part of the UK, I'm very happy and relieved :dancing:  :dancing: :dancing:  

Despite jokes from some of our UK members I thought if Scotland had left this would have fundamentally weakened the entire UK and Scotland in the long term. And that's not a good thing for the West, "united we stand ..divided we fall

Anyway good news, I'm going to buy some Haggis for lunch as a way to  recognise this whole event

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Uh, the West is divided already, somehow I don't think one more nation added into the pile is going to make the vile East or whomever attain dominance. Was kind of hoping the Scots would separate, myself, but probably works out better this way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

God, that's all we need, colonials several generations distant banging on about kinship with countries they know next to nothing about.

Drink your tea and get bombed by the krauts, you gutless pansy.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Uh, the West is divided already, somehow I don't think one more nation added into the pile is going to make the vile East or whomever attain dominance. Was kind of hoping the Scots would separate, myself, but probably works out better this way.

The issue being if Scotland had really  gone independent then  I see Wales and Northern Ireland were discussing this as well  and then suddenly you have England by itself. Of course this would have been unlikely but its more the "lets go independent" sentiment that concerns me

And the West isn't really  divided on key issues, like Russia's interference in Ukraine. Its just typically the same  countries that are prepared to send troops to most conflict areas. And these countries are normally the USA, UK and France

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

They are as divided as an independent Scotland and Great Britain would be though. So divided we fall isn't much relevance here. Unless Scotland is going to not be an ally to the UK and EU and US for some reason.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They are as divided as an independent Scotland and Great Britain would be though. So divided we fall isn't much relevance here. Unless Scotland is going to not be an ally to the UK and EU and US for some reason.

Well that is the concern actually, there are many people in Scotland who question the military involvement of the UK in various areas. So it would have been highly unlikely an independent Scotland would have been involved in any UK military missions. And obviously this would have weakened the overall UK military mission going forward

John Milton 

The West doesn't 100% jump into military matters either, so it's not a concern.

I am watching the results on Sky and its official, Scotland will stay part of the UK. I have to be honest seeing some of  the No voters in tears due to the  relief creates an emotional experience. You can't help but feel really happy for them  

John Milton 

I called it:

Nostradamus: 0

Me: 2

You did call it,  you little prognosticator you  :biggrin:

John Milton 

I called it:

Nostradamus: 0

Me: 2

You did call it,  you little prognosticator you  :biggrin:

I'm getting a second milkshake too.:)

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

so, scotland still gets all those wonderful parting gifts cameron promised just 'cause they played the Secession Game, yes? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Watching the news and crowds of aye-sayers, it's apparent that they're pretty happy anyways. Perhaps this was all for the best. Who wants to wreck the Union Jack, the icon of icons?

I can think of someone.

http://youtu.be/yu2NqfISm9k

Classic.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands