NFL 2014 Season

Nepenthe

grabbing a guy's facemask when he is about to get away from you is instinctual.  +90% o' holding calls is the result o' instinct subverting training.  some clown punches you in the helmet and you punch him back is instinctive. dez bryant has a domestic violence charge from 2012 that is still pending... as hard as that is to believe. no doubt he reacted instinctive when he took a swipe at his mom. etc. instinct has never been a valid excuse.

bob's dog humps the legs o' strangers and digs holes in the yard when left alone. bob can train his dog to stop humping legs and digging holes. such training may take effort as it would seem to go against doggie instincts, but such training is possible. no doubt dez is at least as capable o' learning as is bob's dog. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

No, that is not all of its glory.  You're omitting the actual "Calvin Johnson" part:

N.F.L. Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1: Going to the ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Dez was falling down when he gained control of the ball.  He might have had a chance a non-falling catch if he'd secured control when the ball first arrived, but Shields got a hand in there and made Byrant bobble it a bit before he could control it.  He got it in his hands as he stumbled forward, though.  Then the ball touched the ground and he lost control.  Ergo, incomplete. 

It's really quite an easy call-- controversial only in that some people don't like the underlying rule. 

Really?  What bobble?  Show me the bobble.  Here is the play:

I was referring to the initial arrival of the ball.  If he had caught it cleanly and immediately, I could see an argument that he wasn't "going to the ground."  But he clearly was by the time control was secured.  

https://gfycat.com/DamagedAccurateAfricanmolesnake

Again, "football move" is irrelevant if the ball is considered incomplete under the "Going to Ground" item.

Edited by Enoch

Last point, just for giggles:  De-facto Cowboys GM Stephen Jones was on the Competition Committee when they decided to do nothing to change the rule after that Calvin Johnson play in 2010. 

Well yeah, karma is a b****.  There's also the karma for the picked up flag in last week's game, so double karma payback.  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Last point, just for giggles:  De-facto Cowboys GM Stephen Jones was on the Competition Committee when they decided to do nothing to change the rule after that Calvin Johnson play in 2010. 

Well yeah, karma is a b****.  There's also the karma for the picked up flag in last week's game, so double karma payback.  :p

eastern philosophy ain't our bailiwick. should karma be invoked if you did not do a past wrong and yet you still is punished?  is not as if the cowboys or dez bryant made the questionable call against detroit. 

in any event, am wondering about kubiak's decision to not interview for hc jobs. admittedly, he had a rough go of it with the texans, but am wondering if his choice is more a matter o' his being happy in baltimore, or perhaps he doesn't like any o' the current hc openings... which is understandable. the thing is, rare is a coach able to do a jim harbaugh and walk into an underachieving team loaded with talent. most (not all) head coach openings is for bad organizations with deficient rosters. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I was seriously amazed when the catch was overturned. I understand why it was ruled incomplete, but it feels and looks like a catch - that I'm a Packers fan doesn't change that. When McCarthy challenged it, I thought it was gonna be the waste of our last time out - it was his FIRST successful challenge all season - and it might cost us the game after we got the ball back with only a few minutes left to make a touchdown (if they successfully got a 2PC) or a field goal (if they didn't). It's hard to say whether or not that cost the Cowboys the game. It certainly cost them the lead, since it would be extremely unlikely they'd not get a touchdown there, but the Packers drove down the field after the ball was turned over and were in field goal range with two minutes left. But...there's no way to tell if that would've actually still happened if the Cowboys had scored a touchdown. A crappy end to an otherwise extremely competitive and tense second half.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Kubiak might've had inside info on Denver - of course looks like they're going to be absolutely gutted, so that might not be particularly inviting either. Guess Manning's done.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Kubiak might've had inside info on Denver - of course looks like they're going to be absolutely gutted, so that might not be particularly inviting either. Guess Manning's done.

I'm not sure that Fox isn't on the outs because Elway is covering for a change that Manning has demanded. 

other than having him sit for the first 8 games of the season next year, am not sure any coach could help manning get through even one more nfl playoff run. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Manning should play for GB next year so that when Rodgers inevitably gets injured and would otherwise cost us our playoff chances, Manning can step in and continue to kick butt. :D

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Manning should play for GB next year so that when Rodgers inevitably gets injured and would otherwise cost us our playoff chances, Manning can step in and continue to kick butt. :D

I'm sure Peyton Manning would be completely open to being a backup.  :rolleyes:

In Cowboys news, head coach Jason Garrett, Princeton Red, as I like to call him, signed a 5 year deal and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli got a 3 year deal.  I wasn't too keen on Princeton Red before this year, but I have to admit he did a good job this year.  What Marinelli did was nearly miraculous, bringing back essentially the exact same unit as the previous year's historically bad defense, minus DeMarcus Ware, and turning it into a halfway decent defense, despite several injuries (I'm convinced I'll never actually get to see Sean Lee play ever again in the regular season).  Staying the course is almost certainly the right call here.  They do need help on defense and they need a young QB to start developing.  The Cowboys can't continue to rely on playing Russian Roulette with Romo and continuing to not get shot.  Absolute best case scenario is you get 3 more years of Romo where he MIRACULOUSLY stays healthy.  The other side of the coin is he could be finished 1 game into next season.  Dude is a couple hard hits away from retirement.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm not going to count Manning out just yet.  

neither is Gromnir. baring injuries, we expect manning will out will, out think and out play all competition he faces for at least half a season.  by the end o' the year, manning will still have the will and the smarts, but we is talking about the NFL, so without the physical ability, watching him will become almost as painful as we expect it is for for manning to play.

HA! Good Fun!

Uh, the ball is in mid air at the end of that clip.  He definitely bobbled it.  That being said, he regained full control quickly and I still think the rule is stupid.  Amazing catches should be encouraged, not overturned on every small movement of the ball.

The fact that he took two steps with the ball under control makes it a catch in my mind. But a rule is a rule.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm not sure that Fox isn't on the outs because Elway is covering for a change that Manning has demanded.

That's another option, but in that case he's a bigger egomaniac than I've thought.

Jim Tomsula to be promoted as San Francisco's HC.

Don't think both Bay Area teams coordinated timing of announcements.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

as crazy as it sounds, for the first time since 2001, the raiders hc job might be as equally desirable (undesirable) as the sf job.  the raiders had a nice draft last year, and the ownership situation is less toxic than it has been in a decade. carr Might be the qb o' the future for the raiders.  the sf job, on the other hand, should be a plum position, but it don't seem to be. the qb situation is still a question mark and the manner in which ownership/management dealt with harbaugh would make any hc candidate leery. sf still has more talent than most teams, but there is clearly head cases on the roster. the somewhat cliché observation that a change in culture is required in sf is warranted. can a hire from within accomplish that? 

bay area pro football might be more interesting for its off of the field stories, at least in the near future. 

HA! Good Fun!

Question is, can Del Rio, being a former LB and obvious defense guy, be the right HC to mold Carr into a star QB? Over say, a Mike Shanahan?

The 49er situation is still bizarre. Tomsula was in no one else's radar and after the PR fiasco after dumping Harbaugh, they pass over Vic Fangio and go with their DL coach.

It's hard for me to give Jed York or Trent Baalke the benefit of the doubt.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Dang, Russell Westbrook had a MONSTER triple double in the win over Golden State last night.  17-15-17 is pretty silly.

Edit:  Oops, wrong thread.   :facepalm:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Question is, can Del Rio, being a former LB and obvious defense guy, be the right HC to mold Carr into a star QB? Over say, a Mike Shanahan?

The 49er situation is still bizarre. Tomsula was in no one else's radar and after the PR fiasco after dumping Harbaugh, they pass over Vic Fangio and go with their DL coach.

It's hard for me to give Jed York or Trent Baalke the benefit of the doubt.

Say Trestman as OC should sort that just fine.