NFL 2014 Season

Nepenthe

Rex Ryan has been hired as the new Bills head coach.  This makes me so happy.  Rex Ryan has given me an almost endless amount of entertainment during his coaching tenure with the Jets.  I don't care where he coaches, I just want him in the league as a head coach.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No QB. He's destined to fail. You need a QB to win in this league. PERIOD.

I don't much care if he succeeds or fails, I just want him in the league in a place of prominence for the entertainment value.  I agree the situation in Buffalo is less than ideal, pretty similar to the situation he's leaving actually; solid defense, very questionable offense, and particularly QB, situation.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If I'm Scott Linehan, I am bypassing Garett completely and will call a timeout everytime I see Romo audible out of a 3 and 1 run that was originally called.

Also, don't let him call a timeout when you get a generous spot that gives you 1st down.  What the **** was that timeout to give the refs a chance to review?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Cowboys got totally ****ed today.  You can call it payback for last week's dubious no call, and that's fair, but that was ABSOLUTELY a catch by Dez.  The Calvin Johnson Rule is utter garbage.  Any rule where something 99% out of 100% of people with eyeballs and a brain decisively know was a catch is called not a catch is a retarded rule that has no place in the game.

Oh well, still a great season by the Cowboys.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Something is flawed with the rulesyestem when that isn't ruled as a catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2ohfX_AzI

At least they're consistent with it. lol

It was unbelievably wrong the first time, it was just as wrong this time.  That rule is so messed up.  The point of it, I guess, is to take the guesswork out of officiating...  by calling what is CLEARLY a catch not a catch...  Somehow this makes sense to the NFL.

Edit:  Regardless, the Cowboys had a great season.  Now they need to build off this for next year.  Pay Dez, shore up the defense and get a QB for the future.  Romo isn't done yet, but he's a couple hits away from done, they need to start developing a replacement yesterday.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Something is flawed with the rulesyestem when that isn't ruled as a catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq2ohfX_AzI

At least they're consistent with it. lol

It was unbelievably wrong the first time, it was just as wrong this time.  That rule is so messed up.  The point of it, I guess, is to take the guesswork out of officiating...  by calling what is CLEARLY a catch not a catch...  Somehow this makes sense to the NFL.

Well, yeah.  If there's no replay rule, you can get away with allowing the refs some latitude to go with their gut on whether a particular play should be considered successful, but when you institute an instant replay system to allow officials to go over what happened in a play closely, you need detailed criteria that are as objective as possible to guide them.  The rule they instituted is actually pretty simple in this case:  If the player is in the process of falling down when he gains possession of the ball, it's a catch only if he maintains possession until he's done falling. 

(It gets a lot more complicated in the event of a player who isn't falling down, but who loses the football shortly after getting it-- that's when the wacky "act common to the game" standard comes into play.) 

Anyhow, inexpressibly angry Dez Bryant is by far the most entertaining Dez Bryant, so this is the best possible outcome. 

• Like 1

Anyhow, inexpressibly angry Dez Bryant is by far the most entertaining Dez Bryant, so this is the best possible outcome. 

as a ny giants fan, your bias may be bleeding through... just a tad. that being said, we also get more entertainment value from dez bryant anecdotes that is not specific related to his receiver duties.

along similar lines, is too bad that guys such ray nitschke and jack lambert didn't have access to social media as we suspect we would have gotten classic bits o' pith from such folks if we were able to get knee-jerk and unvarnished opinions from such folks. am recalling a regular-season game wherein the steelers were losing to the browns, and lambert appeared to be unhappy with the performance o' his fellow steel curtain members. two plays in a row he hits a defenseless brian sipe-- second hit results in an ejection for the steeler's hof mlb. current concussion rules woulda' had sipe outta the game too.  espn were in its infancy at the time, so for most american football fans, we maybe get a couple lines in the newspaper regarding the incident. forgotten.

oh well. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Angry Dez Bryant?

(video)

Probably right.

the wacky thing is that even today we work with people who seemingly have ZERO impulse control.  is more amusing from a football player than from an attorney.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/top-10-press-conference-coaching-rants.html

some classic coach rants.

at the very least, if you have not seen it before, check out the mike van gundy implosion.

HA! Good Fun!

That no catch couldn't have happened to a better person. Can't stand that whiny baby Bryant. What's with Dallas and their history of prima donna wide receivers?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Here is the Calvin Johnson Rule in all its faulty glory:

etc.png

Part c is the important part and what is commonly referred to as making a "football move".  The problem is that there is no clear definition of what is and isn't a "football move".  They cite a few examples then give the all powerful et cetera at the end, which essentially boils down to "use your judgement", which is hilarious for a rule put in place to remove judgement calls from the refs.  So, Dez fulfilled part a, he clearly had control of the ball, I don't think anyone questioned that.  He fulfilled part b, both his feet came down inbounds and he took a couple steps on the way down.  The question is, did he fulfill part c?  That question boils down to whether stretching out towards the endzone is considered a "football move".  I would say yes, apparently the officials disagree and think that stretching out toward the endzone is not an "act common to the game".

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

No, that is not all of its glory.  You're omitting the actual "Calvin Johnson" part:

N.F.L. Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1: Going to the ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Dez was falling down when he gained control of the ball.  He might have had a chance a non-falling catch if he'd secured control when the ball first arrived, but Shields got a hand in there and made Byrant bobble it a bit before he could control it.  He got it in his hands as he stumbled forward, though.  Then the ball touched the ground and he lost control.  Ergo, incomplete. 

It's really quite an easy call-- controversial only in that some people don't like the underlying rule. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

No, that is not all of its glory.  You're omitting the actual "Calvin Johnson" part:

N.F.L. Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1: Going to the ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

Dez was falling down when he gained control of the ball.  He might have had a chance a non-falling catch if he'd secured control when the ball first arrived, but Shields got a hand in there and made Byrant bobble it a bit before he could control it.  He got it in his hands as he stumbled forward, though.  Then the ball touched the ground and he lost control.  Ergo, incomplete. 

It's really quite an easy call-- controversial only in that some people don't like the underlying rule. 

Really?  What bobble?  Show me the bobble.  Here is the play:

dezcatch.gif

Dez clearly has complete control of that ball.  He has it securely in his hands and stretches his arm out, fully controlling the ball, toward the endzone.  The ball comes loose when it hits the ground, he is in complete control of it up until that point.  The "football move" part is important because if it is deemed that he has completed catching the ball and is making a "football move" then he is no longer considered to be in the process of catching the ball and is now considered a runner.  The question is, is he still in the process of making the catch when the ball hits the ground or has he made a "football move"?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Uh, the ball is in mid air at the end of that clip.  He definitely bobbled it.  That being said, he regained full control quickly and I still think the rule is stupid.  Amazing catches should be encouraged, not overturned on every small movement of the ball.

• Like 1

Well, okay that clip doesn't start early enough, I guess, to show the ball as it's getting there, still he gets control of it almost immediately and before he even starts falling.  More importantly, as a rule that's supposed to take judgement calls out of the game the Calvin Johnson Rule is a failure, since it still often comes down to a judgement call.  The only difference being that the judgement call is now "did he make a 'football move'?" instead of "was that a catch?".  Also, any rule, regardless of its good intentions that labels what is clearly a catch not a catch is a stupid rule.  I still remember the original Calvin Johnson play.  EVERYBODY thought that was a catch.  Anyone with a set of eyeballs and a brain thought that was a catch.  Even my sister, who doesn't watch or give a crap about football, came in the room as my pops and I were watching the replay and asked us "what's going on?".  To which I replied "they're reviewing this catch".  She watched a replay of it and asked "Why?  That's clearly a catch."

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

keyrock is arguing that the rule is silly, rather than that it were applied incorrect. we agree that the rule should be reviewed as the application o' the rule has, in some cases, made a mockery o' the notion o' what it means to successfully catch a football. if a large number of coaches and players can watch the calvin johnson and dez bryant plays and see a result that contravenes common sense, then perhaps the rule needs be changed.

alternatively, given that this rule is a known quantity, perhaps dez shoulda' first secured the freaking ball instead o' reaching for a touchdown.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

keyrock is arguing that the rule is silly, rather than that it were applied incorrect. we agree that the rule should be reviewed as the application o' the rule has, in some cases, made a mockery o' the notion o' what it means to successfully catch a football. if a large number of coaches and players can watch the calvin johnson and dez bryant plays and see a result that contravenes common sense, then perhaps the rule needs be changed.

alternatively, given that this rule is a known quantity, perhaps dez shoulda' first secured the freaking ball instead o' reaching for a touchdown.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, sure, but that's easy to say sitting at a computer.  On a crucial 4th down play, making a spectacular grab, it's probably hard in that split second as all that happens to recall this ridiculous rule and make a judgement to tuck the ball rather than risk stretching out for the endzone.  I would think instinct pretty much takes over at that point and it;s Dez's instinct, as a competitor, to try and score the TD on that play, it's what makes him a great player.  It's the same reason I don't get too mad at DeMarco Murray when he fumbles when he's fighting for extra yardage.  Part of me wants him to maybe not fight quite as hard and put more effort into securing the ball and less into trying to get extra yards, but it's the instinct and desire to keep fighting for extra yards that makes him a great runner.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸