[Possible Spoilers] Pillars of Eternity will be livestreamed at Gamescom

You know, Volourn, being purposefully dense isn't really something you should wear as a badge of honor.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Then why do you get 1500xp  for entering the cave? That's not in your journal nor does entering the cave stop the ogre. L0L

So... you agree with me? The PC is a slave who has no mind of his own. Only gets xp if he follows the book. LMAO

You made it to the cave. Finding the cave is a good first step in actually dealing with the ogre.

Have you played any games with objective based exp? I am thinking that you have, but that you're just doing this on purpose now.

Also, if I had a say, I would probably go the good old get exp for kills route. It's just that objective based exp is a non-issue for me if it is properly implemented.

Edited by Labadal
  • Like 2

In BG you didn't get much XP from random monsters anyways after a few first levels. You needed to kill A LOT of beetles to gain one level so in effect it does not really matter if they give XP or not except for those rare occasions where you lack just that tiny amount. 

The exception were iconic monsters like Basilisks in BG1, and in PoE I hope such monsters are always part of quests and not just standing around and waiting to be killed for no benefit. 

Also maybe a good way to make everyone happy is to have hunters in different towns give quests/bounty for thinning local "monster" population so while killing random beetles will not give XP, killing 10 or 15 will.  The problem with these quests is that they will remind us too much of 99% of quests in different MMORPGs and we hate those ;)

• Like 3

Oh God... I hope we aren't going to be have to do quests like that; kill the stray cats in the back alley with your two handed sword for the guardsman; mutilate the bothersome seagulls at the docks with your fireball for the fisherman... It's not a problem if you are actually hunting creatures (in a game that is) - and I emphasize hunting -, but most RPGs just make you feel like you are instigating massacres on various animals or creatures at the behest of some poor sod's conflict with the fact that other beings inhabit the same world. You can't even confront the man and say "Hey, listen man, I think you've got some serious problems... I'm not gonna lob my fireball on some seagulls, and I'm not going to obliterate into oblivion some stray cats with my two-handed sword - that's just grotesque.".

They aren't your objective. The Ogre is stealing pigs. Your objective is to get to him and fix this in a manner of your choosing, kill him or make him stop.

That's only true if you get the quest to deal with him.

If you don't then he's not an objective, and then...

Edited by Stun

They aren't your objective. The Ogre is stealing pigs. Your objective is to get to him and fix this in a manner of your choosing, kill him or make him stop.

Hopefully in 2014 game development has progressed enough that if you kill the Ogre before getting the quest the game will recognize this you will be able to immediately tell the farmer you already killed the Ogre. 

• Like 1

Hopefully in 2014 game development has progressed enough that if you kill the Ogre before getting the quest the game will recognize this you will be able to immediately tell the farmer you already killed the Ogre.

Will you also get the 1500XP for entering the Ogre cave itself?

...it's fair game to not get the exp for entering the cave. You can probably still get exp for turning in the quest. Sure, you might lose exp for entering the cave before you "should". On the other hand, if you talk to people in town, I find it unlikely that you will miss the quest. But I know not everyone talks to every NPC, so I can get your point.

I know it sounds like I am defending the system to death, but to me, I don't care what system they use as I have said several times. I only care about implementation and I can't discuss that without any knowledge, which means beating the game at least once.

• Like 1

Maybe you get +1500 xp for turning the quest in afterwards?

No. Please, I know you are not stupid. Stop being willfully obtuse. Also, in the one of the streams, Adam killed the Ogre before talking to the farmer I believe.

There are many, easy logical ways to award the XP without getting the quest. Your party comes to a dark cave, the stink of ogre and pig floats out of the maw (kind of like Peking, IL...  I kid, I kid). Numerous tracks indicate whatever lives here and is active and has been paying the local village visits. The fact that your party is willing to enter such a dangerous location for whatever reason (curiosity, a need to protect the land from an unknown threat, uncontrolled greed for the possibility of dirty gold coins hidden away, the powerful pull of your uncontrollable ogre lust) nets you the XP. Once in the cave, you notice the primitive bacon processing plant and maybe other detritus that points to the actual origins of the Ogre's snacks. You resolve the situation and gain XP. You go to the village, you see a swine herd....  hopefully you see where I am going with this.

There are multiple triggers for these quests, set according the design goals of the game. It DOES NOT need to be complete and comprehensive, only reasonable consistent to a RATIONAL person. This is not an open world game.  

• Like 1

In a vain attempt to merge the 2 threads (whose arguments are getting repeated in this thread), I'm posting my reply for these xp-arguments in the experience points mechanics thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66528-experience-point-mechanics-fighting-enemies/?p=1479909

---

In other words - yeah, where's the druid video?  The 18th is tomorrow (or perhaps the next day in Irvine's time zone) - anyone going to be doing a let's play / live stream with a druid?

• Like 3

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

So does anyone know if we get exp for any new location or at least caves/dungeons we find?

Anyway, yeah, in pretty much most of rpgs I have played, there are alternate ways to start quest. Like, if you complete quest without ever talking to quest giver you get "Hmm, I wonder if someone would be interested in this item" journal entry or such

Yeah... I have been scouring the net looking for the druid video myself.  I believe it is a myth... like unicorns.  Mister Sawyer is tugging at my heartstrings. 

I have Shadowplay, and although I have never done the whole video thing... I may post a youtube vid on some of the highlights in beta of the druid.  I will link it if I do.  No Druid Video has me considering a Druid play through before I do my Chanter (what I am planning on playing first come launch).

• Like 1

Yeah... I have been scouring the net looking for the druid video myself.  I believe it is a myth... like unicorns.  Mister Sawyer is tugging at my heartstrings. 

I have Shadowplay, and although I have never done the whole video thing... I may post a youtube vid on some of the highlights in beta of the druid.  I will link it if I do.  No Druid Video has me considering a Druid play through before I do my Chanter (what I am planning on playing first come launch).

Semi-confirmed rumor: Josh Sawyer is actually a unicorn. 

• Like 3

Yes, they just up the turn in exp reward by 1500.  Or the 1500 is just reward for finding the cave in the first place.  You can do that in Objective based EXP games you know, Objectives don't = quests.

Edited by Karkarov