So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too

Also, if you are supposed to use imagination for roleplaying(isn't that for Pen & Paper anyway =P Or games with minimalistic approach? Like, you know, no npcs, no dialog, etc, games where you play as only person still living at least as far as you know?), it'd help if game was less immersion breaking. And you didn't really address the point where I can't do what I want because bethesda didn't program that in the game despite of how glaring it is.

I'm sure it would help if the game was less immersion breaking. If it's any consolation; Skyrim does a better job of conveying a living world than most rpgs do.

In most rpg's all the npc's do is stand around. In Skyrim the people have do things like: Go to work, go to sleep, eat, and talk with friends.

Bethesda can't program everything possible into the game. That is a unrealistic standard. Unless you apply that standard to other rpgs and if you do all rpgs have bad role-playing; I'm going to discount it.

Oh, on that I can agree. I mean, Bethesda is bad at writing characters, but they are awesome at scenery. I hate Fallout 3 and even I thought game was incredibly looking when I got out of the vault.

Thats why I think if Bethesda made a game without any speaking npcs, or at least have everyone attack you on sight, I think I would find that game to be their best game since the thing that breaks my immersion in Bethesda games is talking to npcs. And their behaviour in general, ah the mudcrab conversations in Oblivion :p If I was lone person exploring beautiful world, discovering lore and mysterious, making campfires and food, that'd be really wonderful game with their abilities.

Edited by BrokenMask

I'm actually wondering why people thought I said DA 2 is better than Skyrim <_<

Did they think I'm Volourn 'cause I don't have avatar or something? I just popped in and commented about my opinion is that Bethesda isn't really good at rp since someone commented to me that they disagree with Bethesda being bad at that... I don't remember making any references to DA

It's an easy mistake to make. Neither you or Volourn have profile pics AND you were both talking down ES role-playing. Makes it easy to confuse the two of you.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I wonder though; do you think there's any hope for Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Yes. It's going to be a far better game than DA2. The *base* mechanics and features that they've already shown alone are enough to raise DA:I above the DA2 benchmark, regardless of how well (or poorly) they're implemented. (talking about the open-ish world, race options, strongholds, crafting).

Also, Bioware's best is pretty darn good. IF this is what they're gonna give us with DA:I then look for a game that turns heads and silences the critics once and for all.

But that's a HUGE if. And we all know it. No rational gamer can ignore recent history. Bioware's last 3 titles were underwhelming, in both quality and sales. One game? It's a fluke. 2 games? That's cause for concern. But 3 games in a row that fail to live up to a company's standards? This means something is broken. And it's a significant leap of faith to assume that DA:I will just suddenly come out and turn everything around. Faith I don't have...especially after seeing the game play demos and the NPC quotes on the Bioware website...which illustrate the lousy artstyle they've decided to keep. The MMOish combat they've decided to retain, and the lackluster writing they've chosen to highlight.

Conclusion: I predict a polished and improved DA2. Which may even be good enough to become Bioware's first 10 Million selling video game. But an Improved DA2 is not something that will get any of MY money and time.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

I just saw the news,Dragon Age:Inquisition will have the stronghold(or something like that)and crafting system(extremely interesting,they said).

So, You guys may have more pressures now,genius in Obidian. :devil: Who will win, Obsidian or Bioware? :devil: Who will design the most talented systems.

Coolest story, brother. Not that I need to pay attention to anything but your OP since it is intended to challenge PoE's Kickstarter-backed features. I'm sure your creative heroes at EA will show Obsidian up with a plethora of romancable companions and thus win the war for Baldur's Gate's Legacy. Once the Legacy is unlocked, all of space and time belong to the owner, which must be Bioware/EA, of course. Cue sexually-themed insults at Obsidian from Bioware (fans of the presumably male gender, given traditional fields of excitement,) who are clearly not kindred spirits with similar interests, but irrevocable economic differences.

Bioware will do phenomenal work on the next installment of The Sims which they have nothing to do with.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

I wonder though; do you think there's any hope for Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Yes. It's going to be a far better game than DA2. The *base* mechanics and features that they've already shown alone are enough to raise DA:I above the DA2 benchmark, regardless of how well (or poorly) they're implemented. (talking about the open-ish world, race options, strongholds, crafting).

Also, Bioware's best is pretty darn good. IF this is what they're gonna give us with DA:I then look for a game that turns heads and silences the critics.

But that's a HUGE if. And we all know it. No rational gamer can ignore recent history. Bioware's last 3 titles were underwhelming, in both quality and sales. One game? It's a fluke. 2 games? That's cause for concern. But 3 games in a row that fail to live up to a company's standards? This means something is broken. And it's a significant leap of faith to assume that DA:I will just suddenly come out and turn everything around. Faith I don't have...especially after seeing the game play demos and the NPC quotes on the Bioware webside...which illustrate the lousy artstyle they've decided to keep. The JRPGish combat, and the silly NPC quotes.

Conclusion: I predict a polished and improved DA2. Which may even be good enough to become Bioware's first 10 Million selling video game. But an Improved DA2 is not something that will get any of MY money and time.

Well at least there's hope.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Stun, is that an admission you're not buying DA:I? Or are you going to be waiting after it's released to see what people say?

The JRPGish combat

Wait what

Isn't JRPG combat usually turnbased? <_< I thought Inquisition looks more like every action rpg in existence, except that you can control whole party

Yeah, I edited my post. I meant MMOish.

Stun, is that an admission you're not buying DA:I? Or are you going to be waiting after it's released to see what people say?

Waiting, of course. And depending on how good PoE turns out, I may just skip it outright. After all, There's Witcher 3 on the horizon after PoE. Edited by Stun

The JRPGish combat

Wait what

Isn't JRPG combat usually turnbased? <_< I thought Inquisition looks more like every action rpg in existence, except that you can control whole party

Not ragging on you, BrokenMask, but too lazy to lead from the post you've quoted.

You know what's turn-based? X-COM. Wasteland 2. Monopoly. Parcheesi. Chess.

If anyone can't handle the tactical depth of turn-based strategy they should stick to squirting as many zerglings as possible out of their imaginary zerg birth canals. You ****ing zerg ****. What a goddamn *****. You think you're going to impress your parents with that? They didn't spend their lives hoardng a dowry so you could zerg rush some guy on the internet, you know. How many goats does 1000 zerglings buy? Not a single one.

NOT EVEN ONE GOAT.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Waiting, of course. And depending on how good PoE turns out, I may just skip it outright. After all, There's Witcher 3 on the horizon after PoE.

You boys can wait till I play DA:I and then based on what I think decide whether you should purchase it? But so far from what I am seeing I would say get your wallets ready to invest :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's always hard to tell with trailers, but I don't really see it. What makes it more MMOish than, let's say, gameplay footage of NWN2? For that matter, how would a BG's combat trailer look like if it was in a full 3D engine with free-moving camera?

Bioware did say some time ago they wanted to move back to something more tactical, closer to DA:O than DA2 (no surprise here, since it was the most successful of the two). But Bioware say many things...

The JRPGish combat

Wait what

Not ragging on you, BrokenMask, but too lazy to lead from the post you've quoted.

You know what's turn-based? X-COM. Wasteland 2. Monopoly. Parcheesi. Chess.

If anyone can't handle the tactical depth of turn-based strategy they should stick to squirting as many zerglings as possible out of their imaginary zerg birth canals. You ****ing zerg ****. What a goddamn *****. You think you're going to impress your parents with that? They didn't spend their lives hoardng a dowry so you could zerg rush some guy on the internet, you know. How many goats does 1000 zerglings buy? Not a single one.

NOT EVEN ONE GOAT.

What

How did zergs end up in this conversation? xD

Edited by BrokenMask

You boys can wait till I play DA:I and then based on what I think decide whether you should purchase it? But so far from what I am seeing I would say get your wallets ready to invest :dancing:

lol

Much appreciated Bruce! And oh how useful your recommendations will be!

ME: So.... what did you think of DA:I?

Bruce: Omg, omg omg! It's the best RPG ever.

Me: tell me about it.

Bruce: Vivienne and Sera are absolutely awesome romances. :::::cue 5 or 6 paragraphs of detailed romance analysis:::

Me: Er...ok, how's the combat?

Bruce: You can KISS Leliana!

Me: Exploration and area design....any good?

Bruce: Trust me, Stun, you will NOT be disappointed in Cassandra. her romance is so emotionally satisfying.

Me: <sigh> Bruce. I don't like Romances in video games

Bruce: GET THIS GAME ANYWAY. I guarantee that you will love it. The romances are the best!

Edited by Stun
  • Like 7

Waiting, of course. And depending on how good PoE turns out, I may just skip it outright. After all, There's Witcher 3 on the horizon after PoE.

Thanks for the offer Bruce, but i'll wait for RPGCodex's review just to be safe.

I want Inquisition to be good, yet a small part of me wants it to fail. If it turns out great I'll be happy, but I'll die a little inside.

Thanks for the offer Bruce, but i'll wait for RPGCodex's review just to be safe.

From what I've seen on the Codex, there's a lot of enthusiasm from a lot of posters for DA:I.

I know i sound negative most of the time about Bioware, and apart of BG2, i don't think they have made a single great game (BG1 and DAO are mediocre to good), but i would be happy if DA:I would turn out good. Since i'm very sceptical about Witcher 3 and i consider all of Bethesda's games crap (Morrowind included,Bethesda's strong points aren't things i care about, while the areas they are horrible at are the things i consider essencial in games), DA:I is the only AAA rpg i'm slightly hopefull for. If they manage to produse something around DAO-BG1 quality (not a very high bar i would think) i would be happy.

Unfortunently thei "hype" campain had the opposite effect and made me  to lose hope for the game, i still hope they will prove me wrong. It's not as i have a ton of RPGs out there to choose from.

Edited by Malekith
  • Like 1

I think you blame EA far too much. The truth is, Bioware WANTED to become what they are. Bioware deserves 100% of the blame. To act as if EA is even partially responsible is to cut the real culprits slack.

I am certainly blaming EA but I'm never said Bioware are not without it. Most probably is that structurally Bioware is far from what it used to be so even if we were to consider their whole team as an entity it would be completely different by now.. That said I'm sure no one in bioware thought how an in-game merchant to sell you DLC is a good idea. I also think that making an announcement that DA3 has a "fully gay" character is also EA marketing brilliance.

Yes I do loath EA, and to a slightly smaller extent, activision/ubisoft too.. just look at their core "philosophies" and the way they exploit something that should be nurtured. I understand that as a business, money is the primary objective, but there are lots of ways you can make money AND keep your consumers happy.. (Valve/Dota 2/TF2 being a primary example imho). The bottom line, EA just wants to push out products, not games.. anyone who thinks DA3 will be different is very naive.

Edited by Infiltrator_SF
tsgUO.gif

It's always hard to tell with trailers, but I don't really see it. What makes it more MMOish than, let's say, gameplay footage of NWN2?

Cooldowns, aggro mechanics, and locked-in tank/damager/support combat roles for classes, to name three things.

Admittedly I'm assuming they're in and central to the gameplay only because they were in before. Maybe they've completely overhauled the combat and gotten rid of them.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Mages pew-pew- pewing.

Triple digit damage numbers floating over the enemy's head

And PS: We don't need to go off the trailers. They've released at least a half hour of game play footage. Much of it showcases the combat. It looks no different from DA2, except the animations are more subdued and the combat speed is slowed down a notch.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Mages pew-pew- pewing.

And PS: We don't need to go off the trailers. They've released at least a half hour of game play footage. Much of it showcases the combat. It looks no different from DA2, except the animations are more subdued and the combat speed is slowed down a notch.

Is there any Information on if the game can be played exclusively in top down tactical view and gameplay footage where someone uses it for more than one attack?

Mages pew-pew- pewing.

While I agree with what you are saying they have also at many times pointed out you can pan the camera up for a top down view and you can pause and plan out the battles in a much more specific way than you could in DA2.  They simply play it like DA2 90% of the time cause,,, it isn't really very fun for the viewer to watch a guy sit on a pause screen issuing commands once every 2-3 minutes for 20 seconds a pop.  Also the top down view is not as exciting or interesting to watch as the over the shoulder one.

While I concur it won't be the tactical masterpiece they seem to try to insinuate it is... it is not DA2.  Even if it were just DA2 combat again, the combat is not what made that game bad to begin with.

Mages pew-pew- pewing.

Is there any Information on if the game can be played exclusively in top down tactical view and gameplay footage where someone uses it for more than one attack?

That is hard to say as they only show their gamepad interface in all the demos they have showed so far. But currently it looks that you can activate tactical view anytime you want, which will pause the game and when you unpause game return in third person view, at least in gamepad interface version of the game.

"Which may even be good enough to become Bioware's first 10 Million selling video game."

A BIO game will never sell 10mil copies.

Also, of course EA is to 'blame'. EA *is* BIO.

DA2 has more role-playing in its pinky finger than any ES game. Those games are trash.

I like how a fool claims the last 3 games supposedly 'bombed' even though all 3 far outsold BG series. LMAO They all sold well.

Anyone who thinks a BIO game will sell 10mil copies are delusional.

You role-play Hawke and shape his perosnality through  decisions made, and can effect quest endings and other chaarcters. And, people react to your choices. That is role-playind.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.