Will someone create a World Cup thread, already?

Pidesco

And also like Brazil in 2002, or Spain in 2010, or Germany in 1990. Or even France in 1998.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

True enough, but I'd say '98 France and '10 Spain were still far more entertaining to watch and played better quality football - same with even '06 France if they won the thing. This Argentina team has been that abject. I don't remember a single exciting thing from them all tournament except for a couple of nice Messi finishes.  

This will probably be the first time I'll be supporting the Germans and not with much if any regret about doing so*. While Argentina were dire the Dutch were pretty much identical and played most of their previous two games with 6 defenders. They both lost, but at least Brazil lost in an entertaining fashion.

*Plus, I'm still butthurt by proxy about the 'Hand of God'.

If it makes you feel any better/worse, literally moments after the Hand of God goal, Diego Maradona scored the Goal of the Century.

Say what you want about the man, but he was damn good.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If it makes you feel any better/worse, literally moments after the Hand of God goal, Diego Maradona scored the Goal of the Century.

The real goal of the century was Michael Thomas for Arsenal vs Liverpool in 1989. Not some fancy schmancy showboating by Diego 'smellybum' Maradona.

Over time, as far as goals go, I've personally come to value skilled touches and vision more than marauding runs like the above or Owen '98 - besides, if you go to previous 'eras' of football (especially before the mid-90s), the quality and style of defending was very very different. My favourite WC goal would have to be the famous Bergkamp '98, coming at a perfect time as well; in this tournament I also enjoyed the RVP 'Dolphin' again for the sheer unusual audacity.

Bergkamp, of course, also provided my personal favourite goal in the universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAOozCkIPQU

For most Dutchies this is definitely the most memorable Bergkamp goal:

It really is a crime that the 1998 team didn't manage to get further than they did. They were certainly one of the best Dutch teams ever.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

True enough, but I'd say '98 France and '10 Spain were still far more entertaining to watch and played better quality football - same with even '06 France if they won the thing. This Argentina team has been that abject. I don't remember a single exciting thing from them all tournament except for a couple of nice Messi finishes.  

France in 98 was ok. But Holland, Argentina and Croatia played much better football than they did. Also, Spain in 2010 started out with an abject loss against Switzerland, and then proceeded to never win a game by more than 1-0, with a 2-0 exception against freaking Honduras. Uruguay and Germany were the better teams that year, I'd say.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Argentina played like their team in -90. 8 men defend and they just give the ball to the undersized/midget footballer and hope for a ******** miracle or penalty shoot-out. Boring as hell and just that fact has me supporting West Germany in the final which kinda sickens me.

Hate the living, love the dead.

The real goal of the century was Michael Thomas for Arsenal vs Liverpool in 1989. Not some fancy schmancy showboating by Diego 'smellybum' Maradona.

It went into the back of the net, didn't it?  Dude smoked half the England National Team all by himself.  Don't hate him because he's beautiful.  The whole reason it's dubbed "The Goal of the Century" is because it happened against the England National Team.  Anything causing England to fail in the World Cup is instantly 75% better and 300% more comical (to everyone outside of England).  ;)

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I still like

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Jesus F Christ, Thiago Silva really doesn't want to play in this game either, does he?  He should not be on the pitch right now.  How the **** was that not a red?  

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Holland scores again!  Will we see another monumental collapse from the host nation?  Blind was able to see that one quite well.  ;)

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Holland scores again!  Will we see another monumental collapse from the host nation?  Blind was able to see that one quite well.  ;)

Same problem for Brazil as versus Germany.  Terrible defense. 

Edited by kgambit

This is easily the worst officiated game I've seen in this tourney.  This ref needs to lay off the crack.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3-0 Holland.  The Brazilian nightmare continues.  The only thing left that could make this worse for them would be Argentina winning tomorrow.  

#DarkestTimeline

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Used to enjoy the 3rd place games, bleh to this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah. The crowd certainly seemed to be more angry with their own team losing than with the other team beating them, in both the semi and play off they appreciated the other team's play. Can't say that of all crowds.

Not sure what the reaction would have been if they'd handed out 4th place medals though, I suspect the burst of booing when Blatter appeared would have been a drop in a thunderstorm in comparison. On one hand I feel a bit sorry for the Brazil team because there may have been inflated expectations, but on the other... the didn't play at all well in either the last two games and worse, at times they looked like they weren't even trying.

Terrible referee, terrible Brazil, pity that "third place doesn't matter it's a joke" Van Gaal still wanted to win it so much that 2-0 up against a mentally shattered opponent he still had the Dutch play Boringball. 

Brazil were never good enough to win it and I hope Germany gets the reward they deserve, but yes, it's sad because players like Fred and David Luiz were never ever going to be as good as they needed or were expected to be, and they were exposed in a very honest but brutal way.

• Like 3

Well done Netherlands !!!!

All I can say is that you did your country proud

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela