New RPGs on the Horizon?

What are the new RPGs on the horizon that people are looking forward to? A quick search came up with these which are the more know rpgs that most of us know about.

Age of Decadence.

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Legend of Grimrock 2.

Pillars of Eternity.

Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Wasteland 2.

What are the lesser known rpgs that people are looking forward to? Be good to see what others are waiting for in the future.

Not Mass Effect 4 or Morrowind VI.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Unrest is releasing on the 23rd, so it's not really on the horizon as such, more a short stroll away. But other than that and Wasteland 2, I don't really know what else is imminent, and I've backed so many crowdfunded projects that I no longer bother keeping up with the status of each up until the time a date is announced.

Out of those games listed, the only one I don't give a stuff about is Grimrock, which represents more or less the opposite of what I look for in an RPG. That said, I know very little about AoD, and DA:I's issues have had plenty of air in the relevant thread.

EDIT: Oh right, CDPR's games, Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk. Fair way off though.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

For me, in order of preference:

1) Pillars of Eternity

2) Wasteland 2

3) Torment: Tides of Numenara

4) Unannounced Obsidian Kickstarter

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

In addition to the ones mentioned:

- Underrail

- Blackguards 2

- Witchmarsh

First one is inspired by Fallout and has interesting gameplay mechanics, but is quite hardcore.

Blackguards 2 still lets you play a bunch of criminals saving the world with cool tactical combat, we'll see.

Witchmarsh... looks beautiful. A 2D sidescrolling RPG set in rural America of the 1920s inspired by the Cthulhu stuff.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks nice, I don't know about its rpg mechanics or story though. But going FP is a step in the right direction.  Never winter 2 and Dragon age origins both had decent stories but lackluster combat hindered the gaming experience, the environment due to top down control just look weird. You can freely eat and drink while playing one of those games and the kite strategy so dominant in these kind of games gets old fast.

Witcher 3 is coming out soon, it will most likely be a hit.

Edit : Thanks for making this thread, Kingdom Come, reminds me of my rural travels in Chile, it looks great and very promising.

Edited by Erez

Guest Slinky

Aw hell, with all these dead this and zombie that games coming through the doors and windows I've missed this completely.

Going to check this out for sure, anyone already been playing the early access?

Apart from Pillars I'm kinda looking forward to Sacred 3 as a Diablo-like ying to Pillars's yang.

Unfortunately Sacred 3 is being made by a totally different developer and will be almost a totally different kind of game. The German magazine Gamestar previewed it in their June issue, and said things like "not even Gothic 4 was so different from its predecessor." and "Sacred 3 is the anti-thesis to Sacred" or "Advertisement should seduce you not rip you off. If someone is going to write Sacred 3 on a package, they should make an effort to include something similar to Sacred inside." or "It would have been more fair to have given this fun game a different name, but somewhere, someone at the publishers decided the game would earn more money with the name Sacred 3 on it, even if it raises false expectations." That's my free translation from German.

The original Sacred developers are developing a game called Unbended, though.

I'm personally most looking forward to Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence, and Lords of Xulima.

Edited by forgottenlor

StarCrawlers a SciFi Dungeon Crawler from Juggernaut Games: StarCrawlers features randomly generated maps, missions, events and loot combined with deep character customization and a tactical time-unit based combat system to create an endless dungeon crawling experience. You’ll be running missions on the hulks of abandoned ships, fighting the remnants of security systems (and who knows what else…?!), all while venturing deeper and deeper in search of a big score.

• Like 1

Aw hell, with all these dead this and zombie that games coming through the doors and windows I've missed this completely.

I played it quite a bit some time ago and I really liked the way it played. It was limited to 7 days and a lot of features were absent but all in all I'm very glad to have backed it

Free games updated 3/4/21

Apart from Pillars I'm kinda looking forward to Sacred 3 as a Diablo-like ying to Pillars's yang.

Unfortunately Sacred 3 is being made by a totally different developer and will be almost a totally different kind of game. The German magazine Gamestar previewed it in their June issue, and said things like "not even Gothic 4 was so different from its predecessor." and "Sacred 3 is the anti-thesis to Sacred" or "Advertisement should seduce you not rip you off. If someone is going to write Sacred 3 on a package, they should make an effort to include something similar to Sacred inside." or "It would have been more fair to have given this fun game a different name, but somewhere, someone at the publishers decided the game would earn more money with the name Sacred 3 on it, even if it raises false expectations." That's my free translation from German.

The original Sacred developers are developing a game called Unbended, though.

I'm personally most looking forward to Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Age of Decadence, and Lords of Xulima.

Hey thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't aware. I'll take a much closer look before I make any decisions.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Guest Slinky

I played it quite a bit some time ago and I really liked the way it played. It was limited to 7 days and a lot of features were absent but all in all I'm very glad to have backed it

Checked out the website and some early access gameplay on youtube and I'm pretty much sold.

Feeling like pre-ordering it already, but it looks like it should get released sometime soonish so maybe I can keep my credit card locked away until it becomes clear there aren't any nasty surprises. And I don't really want to get a third early access game...

Edited by Slinky

>Dragon Age: Inquisition

Mass Effect in middle earth with races who speak in french accent != RPG

I mean, are we discussing RPGs here or games for 8-10 year olds? Pegi 8?

>Legend of Grimrock 2

Dungeon crawler != RPG

>Kingdom Come: Deliverance

>Made by Czechs

Afroamerican, please.

> Age of Decadence

> Pillars of Eternity
> Torment: Tides of Numenera.
> Wasteland 2.

Maybe.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

dungen crawler ist best RPG  :skeptical:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The Mandate might be a case of promising too much, but I'm still quite hopeful.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: