Why is there no world cup thread ?

Gorgon

Italy seemed to be done with the whole affair as soon as they made 1-2.

Some great chances for England, a shame they can't seem to finish.

Too bad. This game deserves a 2-2 ending.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Those were some great crosses.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Go Team Nippon

So, here's m question, why do the soccer animes never point out how every other soccer player fakes injury as much as possible in order to draw fake fouls on their opponents.

• Like 1

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Japan led for a long time, but Ivory Coast's superior talent took over in the second half and in the end we got the predicted result.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

we like soccer. is a nice little sport. am ranking it right above field hockey but below women's lacrosse on our list o' favorite sports. am understanding that soccer is very popular in countries where they don't have any sports for men... is also popular in  england. odd.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"...where they don't have sports for men..."

uh?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sports for men? Hmm, all I know is that padding's a bit sissy:

460x300_seahawks_broncos.jpg

Here's a sport for tough guys, no armour, and by the way - Karmichael Hunt here played for the real Broncos on our planet:

karmicheal-hunt_1453194c.jpg

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

we like soccer. is a nice little sport. am ranking it right above field hockey but below women's lacrosse on our list o' favorite sports. am understanding that soccer is very popular in countries where they don't have any sports for men... is also popular in  england. odd.

HA! Good Fun!

Well I guess that's true if you ignore places it was popular before, say, 1980.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The U.S.A. team is playing Ghana tomorrow night.

The popularity of association football, or soccer if you prefer, is ever growing in the U.S.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1776715-world-cup-2014-will-take-american-soccer-interest-to-new-heights

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmorrell/2013/11/08/after-flirting-with-failure-major-league-soccer-popularity-now-surging/

http://time.com/2857626/how-soccers-growing-popularity-undermines-america/

I haven't really seen much of the U.S. team this year, but I am hoping they put up a good show. Ghana doesn't strike me as incredibly strong from what I have seen, so they should be able to win their first match.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Sports for men? Hmm, all I know is that padding's a bit sissy:

Here's a sport for tough guys, no armour, and by the way - Karmichael Hunt here played for the real Broncos on our planet:

it is always curious that people from other places thinks a little plastic and foam padding makes american football safer than australian rules or rugby. it doesn't. statistically, american football is far more dangerous. is kinda stupid actually... sorta like the craig mctavish nonsense from the nhl. the nfl could make safer equipment,  and change rules-- would have a trickle-down effect to college and youth. sadly, am thinking that machismo (idiocy) is interfering with good sense. scott harding played six years pro australian football and has agreed that american is tougher... and he plays wr... at hawaii. unfortunately, given the growing awareness and documentation o' dangers o' american football (especially brain trauma) there is serious and increasing pressure to halt youth football programs and even the college game is coming under increased scrutiny. 

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1660879,00.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/04/opinion/nocera-the-cost-of-football-glory.html?_r=0

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-11-20/news/bs-ed-youth-football-20131120_1_school-football-concussions-pop-warner-football

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/americas-most-dangerous-football-is-in-the-pee-wee-leagues-not-the-nfl/279229/

etc.

truth to tell, american football in it's present incarnation is likely far too dangerous. we played d-1 football in college-- is how we paid for tuition. we also ended up playing rugby after we quit football. american football were the "tougher" sport as far as serious injuries and overall fitness level were concerned. the "pads" argument always amuses us. that being said, we is slowly coming 'round to the position where we agree that american football is too dangerous for kids. 

however, we will note that we were far more likely to get our junk grabbed or punched in rugby than in american football. so, if that is the demarcation line for sissy, we suspect you win. 

"Well I guess that's true if you ignore places it was popular before, say, 1980."

reggie-with-bar2.jpg

am not sure what pre-1980 has to do with anything. the reggie bar were actual popular in the late 1970s but we bet most folks here has never even had one. heck, soccer were momentarily popular in the US in the 70s.

as we said, soccer is a nice sport. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Rugby is crazy in its own way, but at the NFL level the armor becomes as much of a weapon as a way to protect.

I have no idea how the US will do in the World Cup, but I'll probable watch it if I get a chance.

Hm, I mistook you then, thought you were trying to say the places it's popular don't have sports for men as a jab at football in a backhanded fashion. Been seeing a lot of NA folk deriding it (oddly hockey fans...they've got some inferiority complex) for being wussy or whatever. My mistake.

Am very nervous over Germany v Portugal. Ronaldo's scary good this year.

Edited by Malcador

Ecuador scored early but Switzerland has thoroughly dominated since then.  Ecuador will be lucky if they escape with a point here, especially since Switzerland had a goal disallowed (which would have put them up 2-1) on a bad offsides call.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Huh, I think Spain lost morale or something. They started out so well. Oranje is playing much better than I thought they would.

I made something for you. Feel free to use it. :D

jfu5p4.jpg

It's your new avatar. ;)

And if that's too much orange for you, here is a toned down version:

2ilymuh.jpg

Haha, thanks but no thanks. :)

Jesus :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What a crazy finish.  Ecuador had a golden chance on one end, but the guy tried to get too cute with it, then Switzerland countered and put in the winner with 30 seconds left.  That was awesome!

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Ecuador scored early but Switzerland has thoroughly dominated since then. Ecuador will be lucky if they escape with a point here, especially since Switzerland had a goal disallowed (which would have put them up 2-1) on a bad offsides call.

That offside call was correct. Just hit the Ecuadorian rather than played by him.

Now wonder if Honduras is going to be murdered

Edited by Malcador