RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1892480689/insomnia-an-rpg-set-in-a-brutal-dieselpunk-univers

I excite. You too?

Am thinking of backing this at a high tier.

Their budget seem bit small for project that has over 18 members on it and is scheduled to take over year. Although they say that they put their own money towards project, but still I am bit skeptical that their budget is enough.

Otherwise project looks quite awesome.

I'm guessing they're looking to engage parts of their team full-time for a period, or something like that, to get some of the heavy grinding done. Or they're doing something else to pay the bills at the same time, I guess.. ..man, their crazy weird updates are creepy. Don't say anything about what they want to use their budget on, though.

Meanwhile, Shallow Space seems to be shaping up.

Shallow Space is the ..spiritual successor to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Unfortunately, it's not based on the "Black Sun" tech engine that Nexus was. HD Interactive doesn't really exist any more. And that tech-demo we've been drooling over for the last 8 years basically is lost forever. So it's taken them some time to get the game up to a level where it actually looks good enough to show any promise at all. And I think it was wise to relaunch it as "Shallow Space". 

It still isn't as brilliant as what that nexus 2 trailer demonstrated. They're lacking the light distortion effects from beams and background objects through displacement shields. And light washing over the scene as the sun comes up behind a planet. The rotating objects in far view-distance that don't pop in as they change from static to dynamic objects, that sort of thing. Same with capital ships having their detail generated depending on how close to the viewpoint it was - another very obvious obstacle to making space sim games work.. It is an unreal engine game, and there are certain limitations to it because of that. But it's starting to look impressive by the normal "AAA" standard now. So it will be interesting to see where they'll end up.

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Definitely need a new name for that game, Shallow Space, sheesh.  Also in the vein of oddly named games

http://www.wingsofstnazaire.com/  - space shooter like X-Wing/WC/FS

Alpha is available to play.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Definitely need a new name for that game, Shallow Space, sheesh. 

Haha. I think "Shallow Space" is what the nearby space sectors become when they're overpopulated or something. Still - better than Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

I don't know that sounded mysterious and was relevant to the story, as it was.

EA on Sims 4 not having pools  - http://www.thesims.com/news/whats-out-and-whats-in

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

EA on Sims 4 not having pools  - http://www.thesims.com/news/whats-out-and-whats-in

I am not sure if I understand correctly, and I am not Sims fan, but what emotions have to do with pools? That explanation is fishy at best

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Guest Slinky

They strip down every new Sims game to it's bare bones so they can sell the stuff in expansions/DLC's, nothing new there.

Hey, it's the Sims, I doubt there is a greedier series in the industry.

They strip down every new Sims game to it's bare bones so they can sell the stuff in expansions/DLC's, nothing new there.

Hey, it's the Sims, I doubt there is a greedier series in the industry.

I would say EA, not to blame SIMs alone

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

EA on Sims 4 not having pools - http://www.thesims.com/news/whats-out-and-whats-in

I am not sure if I understand correctly, and I am not Sims fan, but what emotions have to do with pools? That explanation is fishy at best

People comparing it to EA's explaination on why SimCity had to be always online and couldn't have large cities. Largely bull, with a little bit of misdirection.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Another good example is Civilisation, in civ 4 after 2 expansions we have espionage, religions etc. Then they introduce Civ5 and another 2 expansions which add religion and espionage. WTF? I was so disappointed when I bought it day 1 :(

So, remember when during the Sony press conference at E3 they announced a remastered Grim Fandango for Sony platforms?  Well, Double Fine have now announced that it will be coming home to the Master Race (PC/Mac/Linux) also, simultaneously with the Playstation versions.

Rejoice!

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guest Slinky

So, remember when during the Sony press conference at E3 they announced a remastered Grim Fandango for Sony platforms?  Well, Double Fine have now announced that it will be coming home to the Master Race (PC/Mac/Linux) also, simultaneously with the Playstation versions.

Rejoice!

happydj.gif

Would really have been stupid as hell releasing it only to playstation.

I wonder what they will do to it to "modernize" it, heh.   Probably nothing more than a built-in hint system ?

No gaming news, but you should watch this before making just another preorder after you complained about quality of the last game you bought :p

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9516-EA-Ubisoft-A-Cycle-of-Perpetration-and-Apology

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Surprised Sony didn't insist on an exclusivity period, but good on 'em. (Looking at Twitter though, see no mention of release date)

Unless they are getting a chunk of it on all platforms?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Took surprisingly long until someone else tries to jump on the Dark Souls train. At least thats what it looks like.

But the track record of the developers isn't very promising.. will still have a look when it comes out. 

I'll definitely be interested in how it turns out.  It looks promising, but I'm definitely not sold.  This was brought up in the comments section for a RPS article for this very game yesterday:  We need to come up with a term for the plethora of "Inspired by Dark Souls" and "Like Dark Souls But..." games flooding the market.  I vote for "Soul Less" or "Soulless"

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Rejoice!

d91.gif

Edited by TheChris92

Rejoice!

This tweet right after the announcement pretty much hinted at that. https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/476179637987315714   So no surprised there.

1.13 killed off Ja2.