What you did today

Tale

If he could do the same thing with badgers then HMG would have a job for him.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Very interesting but I'd feel like a major d!ck pouring molten aluminum into an active insect colony. 

Kill the Xeno.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Very interesting but I'd feel like a major d!ck pouring molten aluminum into an active insect colony. 

You've clearly never dealt with fire ants before.  I spent half a year in Louisiana and, let me assure you, fire ants deserve no sympathy, pity, mercy, or compassion.  Their sting carries only 1/3 the punch of a yellow jacket sting, but they tend to swarm over you in significant numbers.  As you might imagine, it's not a pleasant experience.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I never had to deal with fire ants, but I had to deal with giant ants the size of my thumb living in the roof of my house. There was no other way than to exterminate them, sadly. Still, I wouldn't fry my worst enemy in a burning soup of molten aluminum, I'd only do that with politicians. 

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Hugely important day today in South Africa, its our election day and a public holiday. I am thankful and appreciative for many things since the end of Apartheid. One of the main things is the fact we can have a free and fair election. Its a basic tenant of country that strives to be a true Democracy

Anyway I'm voting tonight at 7 pm :)

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hate elections times, its really miserable and annoying time, but I love voting days, its a free vacation day during working week and no-politics rule invoked. last time we slept, had an late breakfast on the porch and enjoyed our coffee .. went voting 5min in/out, then then was a mix of family/friends time...

• Like 1

Meanwhile, we generally vote on Sundays. No extra days off. :p

That's probably why your economy is so strong, we have loads of public holidays and unproductive days :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watched ants from two different ant hills making contact, what first looked like a little harmless skirmish with minor losses suddenly turned in a massive full blown battle with one side getting totally annihilated, it was like in a horror movie. The attacking ants (big red & black ones) hunted down and totally slaughtered the small helpless black ones, they bit off their heads by the hundreds, bit them in half, sprayed acid into their faces, chewed the already dead bodies into pieces with their huge mouthpieces, they were totally going insane and even attacked inanimate objects. 

They eventually pushed the little black ones back to their hills entry hole and I watched a seemingly endless amount of big ants invading the enemy hill. I can only imagine whats going on in there right now, a little big drama in my garden. I almost wanted to interfere to help the black ones, but thats nature.- 

What have I learned today? Nature is a bloodthirsty b!tch that spits on the weak. And being a small ant sucks. 

The high priest of the black ant tribe prayed to Woldan to aid them against the heathen red ant invaders.... alas, Woldan did not heed their prayers! :lol:

• Like 7

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Watched ants from two different ant hills making contact, what first looked like a little harmless skirmish with minor losses suddenly turned in a massive full blown battle with one side getting totally annihilated, it was like in a horror movie. The attacking ants (big red & black ones) hunted down and totally slaughtered the small helpless black ones, they bit off their heads by the hundreds, bit them in half, sprayed acid into their faces, chewed the already dead bodies into pieces with their huge mouthpieces, they were totally going insane and even attacked inanimate objects. 

They eventually pushed the little black ones back to their hills entry hole and I watched a seemingly endless amount of big ants invading the enemy hill. I can only imagine whats going on in there right now, a little big drama in my garden. I almost wanted to interfere to help the black ones, but thats nature.- 

What have I learned today? Nature is a bloodthirsty b!tch that spits on the weak. And being a small ant sucks. 

The high priest of the black ant tribe prayed to Woldan to aid them against the heathen red ant invaders.... alas, Woldan did not heed their prayers! :lol:

:lol:

That cracked me up

John Milton 

In the US election day is on a business day. Usually we get pretty good turnout on Presidential elections but in the off year or Mid Terms, when most governors are elected, only those who really follow politics show up to vote. That's why we end up with jackasses for Presidents and pretty competent folks for governors.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In the US election day is on a business day. Usually we get pretty good turnout on Presidential elections but in the off year or Mid Terms, when most governors are elected, only those who really follow politics show up to vote. That's why we end up with jackasses for Presidents and pretty competent folks for governors.

That's interesting, the voting turnout figures for this South African election is 58 %.... which isn't bad ?

John Milton 

Some friends are doing the Tough Mudder event, and have invited me to join in.  I'm pondering on just how much training for it I would need. A 10-12 mile assault course event.

I should improve my cardio...

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The problem I was having with two characters might have been something far worse than I previously thought. The entire concept for the project was "two guys show up, cause problems, and try to run from those problems." Well, what I spent most of the time since doing is expanding that idea into "bunch of problems exist, two guys show up with one more problem that pushes everything over the edge."

Now I've added a bunch of new characters and sideplots, backstories. I have these new and interesting characters that the second I introduced them into a scene they just just came alive with personality and quirks. And then there's the two guys who were originally intended to be the main characters and they kind of bore me. If I don't get somewhere with them soon, I'm going to have to cut them.

I don't think I've had to kill my darlings before. It's a little exciting.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The problem I was having with two characters might have been something far worse than I previously thought. The entire concept for the project was "two guys show up, cause problems, and try to run from those problems." Well, what I spent most of the time since doing is expanding that idea into "bunch of problems exist, two guys show up with one more problem that pushes everything over the edge."

Now I've added a bunch of new characters and sideplots, backstories. I have these new and interesting characters that the second I introduced them into a scene they just just came alive with personality and quirks. And then there's the two guys who were originally intended to be the main characters and they kind of bore me. If I don't get somewhere with them soon, I'm going to have to cut them.

I don't think I've had to kill my darlings before. It's a little exciting.

Cut them.

Or merge their role into a new character who is sorta like them but better?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I probably will. I'm just worried that it's going to kill my momentum to start over from chapter 1 instead of writing on through.

If I push through with them I might actually figure out something interesting to do with them. And if I don't, then I might still be able to figure out the overall tone of the project which will better help me figure out what to replace them with.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Am taking last final in about an hour, then getting some sleep.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Sat down in my comfy computer chair and suddenly felt like somebody shot me in my back, sudden extreme pain in my right lats. First I though a wasp had got me pretty good, but in the mirror I could see that it was definitely a bite, a small chunk of meat is missing in my back and the blood was flowing out of the wound. 

I'm still looking for the 6 legged terrorist, when I find him I'll show him what a real bite is. 

I only know four bugs that can give you a bite like that, locusts (the really big ones), wasps, hornets, really big ants. So it must be one of those suckers. 

Ah, it burns. Those who think insect stings are bad have never been bitten by one, its worse. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Wow I've just had the most amazing time voting, its always rewarding and great to part of our fledging Democracy. People are excited despite complaints and are prepared to wait hours in lines. I went to my local voting station but the line was too long, 2 hours, so I left and went to a school and only waited 20 minutes

I was in the line at the school with a father and daughter and we started chatting. She is a " born-free" which means she was born outside the system of Apartheid and this was her first vote. Initially she didn't want to vote as most young people have voting apathy but she was watching all the TV news and decided to vote, she was really excited and it was very sweet to see.

So I think the overall election went really well and I'm looking forward to the results :)

John Milton 

That's interesting, the voting turnout figures for this South African election is 58 %.... which isn't bad ?

You know I was reading an article today that talked about how the "Born Free" generation, the first generation to have never lived under apartheid have little interest in politics and low participation in voting. It's ironic that after so much strife to win them the right to vote so many are not interested in using it. 

Of course, the same could be said here. Youth participation in voting has seldom been real high in the US.

Thomas Sowell