Dragon Age: Inquistion

Rosbjerg

Gather 'round children! Let a jaded Bioware Forum user tell you a story about romance.

Romances are the worst aspect of a Bioware game, not because of the content within said romance but because of what to does to the fanbase. There's just something about romances that brings out the worst in people and it shows when reading the DA: I forums. Most of the threads are about either romances or sexuality instead of discussing things like gameplay mechanics or story elements. Romance threads also get way more replies than other threads.

There is also a sub community of 'special snowflakes' who demand that the game cater to their wants or they'll write a really long forum/blog post about how BW are 'heteronormative scum'. Any recent frequenter here will probably know of one particular user who is the most whiny, insufferable entitled piece of trash to ever grace an internet forum. Romances should be scrapped because it would remove a cancerous tumour on the gaming community.

And then there's the third annoying group of people, the ones who constantly whine about them, thus making the romances the universally most discussed and polarizing aspect of the games, way out of proportion with what their actual role ine the games is.
  • Like 5

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Comedy aside, what changes has been done to the gameplay compared to DA2? And add to that, has at least the encounter design been fixed? The hordes of enemies appearing from thin air was ridicolously bad.

Because the whole romance debate makes my brain melt out of my ears, I'll bring this back up.

They've been a bit reticent on mechanics, which makes me mildly suspicious, but overall they've been proclaiming their intention to shoot for a middle spot between DA:O and DA2.  So your paratrooper enemies are gone. Health no longer auto-regens to full.  It either doesn't auto-regen at all or it regens to the nearest quarter--they haven't been exactly clear.  Their idea behind that is not to have the godawful boring-arse trash fights of DA2.  Aside from the fact that warriors and rogues appear to have some goofy chain-pulling move that looks like the powertech from SWTOR, I couldn't tell you much more about combat.

I do know that they're aiming for a synthesis of exploration of large open areas with a critical path plot, instead of the six areas of DA2.  Part and parcel of that is no level scaling.

I could tell you more but I'm not entirely sure what else you'd want to know.

Bioware "heteronormative"? 

gallery_42_2_125387.gif

Now that I think about it, it was practically inevitable for Bioware writers to make a game where you play the inquisition. If they frequent their own forum's I can't blame them for wanting to get a bonfire going.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 9

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The new combat system looks good to me from what little I've seen. But as a caveat, I did enjoy the combat, even the filler, of Dragon Age 2. Quite frankly, as long as you give me a group of characters with particular strengths and weaknesses that require some degree of micro, I'm going to have a good time.

I'm far more worried about their implementation of choice and the fact that it's hard to evaluate that without playing it yourself. Thankfully Darrah clarified the outlandish ending claim to something a bit more workable. I think that shows a bit more self-awareness than previous.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Bioware "heteronormative"? 

gallery_42_2_125387.gif

Now that I think about it, it was practically inevitable for Bioware writers to make a game where you play the inquisition. If they frequent their own forum's I can't blame them for wanting to get a bonfire going.

You get a like just for that Fargo gif alone.

• Like 1

Gather 'round children! Let a jaded Bioware Forum user tell you a story about romance.

Romances are the worst aspect of a Bioware game, not because of the content within said romance but because of what to does to the fanbase. There's just something about romances that brings out the worst in people and it shows when reading the DA: I forums. Most of the threads are about either romances or sexuality instead of discussing things like gameplay mechanics or story elements. Romance threads also get way more replies than other threads.

There is also a sub community of 'special snowflakes' who demand that the game cater to their wants or they'll write a really long forum/blog post about how BW are 'heteronormative scum'. Any recent frequenter here will probably know of one particular user who is the most whiny, insufferable entitled piece of trash to ever grace an internet forum. Romances should be scrapped because it would remove a cancerous tumour on the gaming community.

And then there's the third annoying group of people, the ones who constantly whine about them, thus making the romances the universally most discussed and polarizing aspect of the games, way out of proportion with what their actual role ine the games is.

You are a clever man, very insightful :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lol, I still remember when DA2 was going to come out (while I still visited BW forums) the fans were asking can you romance you sister/brother. The funny thing is that lot's of them were serious and were saying how it would add realism to the game. I'm cracking up as I'm writing this.

Sorry Sarex but I reject this type of comment as nothing but Bioware bashing propaganda. The thought that you are  suggesting that there are people on BSN who think incest could be considered  normal or realistic is ludicrous. If people did say this they were trolling or joking but this does not  reflect what people on BSN think is a normal Romance option in any respect. This is just taking the whole  " BSN people are weird " too far and I have to dispute  this insinuation

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lol, I still remember when DA2 was going to come out (while I still visited BW forums) the fans were asking can you romance you sister/brother. The funny thing is that lot's of them were serious and were saying how it would add realism to the game. I'm cracking up as I'm writing this.

Sorry Sarex but I reject this type of comment as nothing but Bioware bashing propaganda. The thought that you are  suggesting that there are people on BSN who think incest could be considered  normal or realistic is ludicrous. If people did say this they were trolling or joking but this does not  reflect what people on BSN think is a normal Romance option in any respect. This is just taking the whole  " BSN people are weird " too far and I have to dispute  this insinuation

While I don't think everyone in those threads were serious about it, I think some were very, very serious about it.

As mentioned, its why I quit Bio's boards (not that anyone cared, I was by that point mainly a lurker).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bruce man, you gotta check your facts before you put the troll train in motion

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

While I don't think everyone in those threads were serious about it, I think some were very, very serious about it.

As mentioned, its why I quit Bio's boards (not that anyone cared, I was by that point mainly a lurker).

To be honest I respect your opinion on most matters so maybe it is true?

But what  makes you think people were seriously suggesting incest should be included and why do think anyone would consider  incest to be realistic when we know its illegal in every country in the world  and births through incest are susceptible to genetic deformities ...so its not realistic in any respects...so why would anyone argue it is when there is no precedent to compare it to?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Bruce man, you gotta check your facts before you put the troll train in motion

Okay please provide the links directly from BSN and I'll believe it

John Milton 

Does it really matter ?  A bunch of people on BSN may be slandered, I am sure they'll post on tumblr about this vile cyber bullying if they found out.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Does it really matter ?  A bunch of people on BSN may be slandered, I am sure they'll post on tumblr about this vile cyber bullying if they found out.

Yes it does matter if its not true...obviously ? We are talking about how great or terrible BSN is so its directly relevant as it goes towards the character of people who frequent BSN

John Milton 

The new combat system looks good to me from what little I've seen. But as a caveat, I did enjoy the combat, even the filler, of Dragon Age 2. Quite frankly, as long as you give me a group of characters with particular strengths and weaknesses that require some degree of micro, I'm going to have a good time.

I'm far more worried about their implementation of choice and the fact that it's hard to evaluate that without playing it yourself. Thankfully Darrah clarified the outlandish ending claim to something a bit more workable. I think that shows a bit more self-awareness than previous.

I'm more or less in the same boat, except for the filler part. Filler combat has been a pet peeve of mine since BG1 (the Derp Roads portion of DAO actually made me quit the game the first time around, and it's the reason I haven't replayed it) and for me the problem was exacerbated by the "Operation Market Garden" execution of some encounters in DA2.

I understand however the somewhat necessary role of filler combat in this kind of game, and after taking a look at the scripting of SCS, I have basically given up on pro developers putting in the effort required to build the kind of AI that would make filler combat an actually entertaining part of the game.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Didn't dao have "regen to max outside combat"? I see numerous people talking about it like it's a welcome reversion from da2, but the last time we've seen bio do non-regenerating health was... Kotor?

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 5

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

To be honest I respect your opinion on most matters so maybe it is true?

But what  makes you think people were seriously suggesting incest should be included and why do think anyone would consider  incest to be realistic when we know its illegal in every country in the world  and births through incest are susceptible to genetic deformities ...so its not realistic in any respects...so why would anyone argue it is when there is no precedent to compare it to?

IIRC this was the first thread on the subject (the one where Gaider gave the response of "This is not going to happen, and the fact that it's even being requested makes me wonder") so you can check it out yourself to see if you think it was serious or not:

Bethany as a Love Interest

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Comedy aside, what changes has been done to the gameplay compared to DA2? And add to that, has at least the encounter design been fixed? The hordes of enemies appearing from thin air was ridicolously bad.

Because the whole romance debate makes my brain melt out of my ears, I'll bring this back up.

They've been a bit reticent on mechanics, which makes me mildly suspicious, but overall they've been proclaiming their intention to shoot for a middle spot between DA:O and DA2.  So your paratrooper enemies are gone. Health no longer auto-regens to full.  It either doesn't auto-regen at all or it regens to the nearest quarter--they haven't been exactly clear.  Their idea behind that is not to have the godawful boring-arse trash fights of DA2.  Aside from the fact that warriors and rogues appear to have some goofy chain-pulling move that looks like the powertech from SWTOR, I couldn't tell you much more about combat.

I do know that they're aiming for a synthesis of exploration of large open areas with a critical path plot, instead of the six areas of DA2.  Part and parcel of that is no level scaling.

I could tell you more but I'm not entirely sure what else you'd want to know.

Thanks. No more paratrooper plebs from nothing is at least one small step forward.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes it does matter if its not true...obviously ? We are talking about how great or terrible BSN is so its directly relevant as it goes towards the character of people who frequent BSN

Not really, if it's a slight against people on some other site that won't read nor care about it... That and not relevant to the game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I like Bruce, at least he's a nice troll. Can't say the same for others here. 

Thanks for the compliment but I'm not trolling, I'm serious about what I say and believe around Romance

John Milton 

I like Bruce, at least he's a nice troll. Can't say the same for others here. 

Thanks for the compliment but I'm not trolling, I'm serious about what I say and believe around Romance

But are you serious as cancer?

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Didn't dao have "regen to max outside combat"? I see numerous people talking about it like it's a welcome reversion from da2, but the last time we've seen bio do non-regenerating health was... Kotor?

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is seen as a step forward other than making the game arbitrarily more "hardcore."  Wasn't it Avellone or Sawyer who pointed out that drinking a health potion when your health is low is neither difficult nor tactically interesting? To me, this should go into the dustbin of RPG features, along with "pre-buffing." 

• Like 5