Trolls (no not trolling :P) in PE

Trolls :P  

121 members have voted

1. 1. With type of Trolls you like ? (multi)

2. 2. With type of Trolls you don't like ? (multi)

Hello

I started this thred becouse we had seen "Trolls" screenshot. Mayby not to much important but i personaly don't like that concept to much and here you have example.

Project Eternity Trolls:

pe-troll-1920x1080.jpg

And here are my propositions ..

1. Neverwinter Nights 1 Trolls

Troll.jpg

2. Neverwinter Nights 2 Trols

trollma6.jpg

3. Skyrim Trolls

Troll-Skyrim.jpg

5. BG/IWD trolls

thumb_troll_lg.jpg

6. Gothic Trolls

Troll_%28Gothic_I%29_%28by_SpY%29.png

7. Warcraft Trolls

trolls01-large.jpg

With one of those you like the most ?

ps. I didn't add anime, jrpg troll concepts becouse (it whoud be nightmare !!!!!!!)

Edited by Ulquiorra

*shrug*. I think the P:E trolls are pretty great. I've always like the very nature-y troll concept much more than the "this is basically a bigger orc-type-thing, usually with horns and/or tusks."

I'm not sure, but I think troll-type creatures are in oodles of cultures' legends and folklore, and they're usually more affiliated with nature. The ones from the Witcher 2 are really good examples, as well as the troll from the Snow White and the Huntsman film.

I realize that's a lot of subjectivity at play, but I personally think the "big greenskinned orc-like variants" idea is overdone by games, and I prefer the more nature-entity trolls.

• Like 6

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Poll ain't gonna change their look. They do not look like your archetypical trolls, despite being kinda close to the NWN1 version. They appear to have a creation myth unique to Eternity - to me they look to be a combo of human and wood with Engwythan Runes or something scribed onto them.

• Like 6

The trolls in the update look fine, almost like they are water dwelling creatures.... which by the way .... the original "troll" story implies they live under bridges in caves that open onto water.  Go fig.

I don't really feel that IE, Skyrim and Warcraft troll's trollish... And those in P:E are going to be quite IE games like.

In my head troll's are l5r like

Slidge.jpg

or homm3 like.

But I accept P:E troll's as being D&D like ;)

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

Pretty hard to judge without a size reference and a decent view of the face.

One thing I hope is that there is some variation as per the images we saw of the Cean Gula.  Especially when looking at the head / antler arrangement, this could become a way of denoting age / size or breed (along with coloration).

It would be interesting to see the concept art.

Edited by curryinahurry

Eternity trolls look ok, I wonder how they bleed though.

What other trolls are nifty IMO? Almost all of them, each unique in their own way, but NWN and Gothic are terrible.

Warhammer troll (stone version) example:

StoneTroll.jpg

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I would like to see more variation in size and girth for project eternity trolls rather than just different colour loin-cloths etc. I can imagine PE trolls ambushing unwary parties as they look quite camouflaged.

Edited by Tuckey

Billy Goats Gruff.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd be very happy to see something new.

camouflage trolls which blend in with the gnarly trees and vegetation of the habitat would be supercool.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I like my trolls to be frightening because of what they (can) do, not because of how they look. These look like some smaller version of DA:O ogres and I didn't particularly like the look of those. All the horns and other head crenelations just look like someone was out to check the scary checkbox several times.

I like my trolls to be frightening because of what they (can) do, not because of how they look. These look like some smaller version of DA:O ogres and I didn't particularly like the look of those. All the horns and other head crenelations just look like someone was out to check the scary checkbox several times.

Well, we don't know anything about what they can do yet.  My hope is for a fast ambush predator with a pounce, pin, and shred style of attacking.  And given the camouflage look they have, I'd be jumpy the whole time in forests.

• Like 1

You know i've read a fair amount of old Norse eddas and sagas, yet an actual description of Trolls still eludes me. In fact in various literature some aspects seem to contradict each other, or migrate to other fantastic creature, and the essence of what a Troll is remains fluid. Fascinating subject.

But personally i've recently taken quite a shine to the distinctive Trolls of the second Witcher game, they were rather well designed I thought, despite being of the common bridge dwelling variety.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!