Trolls (no not trolling :P) in PE

Trolls :P  

121 members have voted

1. 1. With type of Trolls you like ? (multi)

2. 2. With type of Trolls you don't like ? (multi)

Really enjoyed Skyrim's take on Trolls.  PE's looks great too, Warcraft's are just terrible.

I had exactly the opposite reaction :( Skyrim troll looks nice in the picture, but from isometric view it would look exactly like PE troll minus the horns and with less distinctive greyish blend on the skin(i.e. far far worse). While warcraft trolls concept has enough distinguishable features to look interesting and unique from isometric view.(it would only need a less cartoonish style)

Another troll:

attachment.jpg

I am not certain about why all the lamps are there, but that is a great concept, and from top it will look very much like the PE troll, just in a different outfit. Edited by Mor

Only ones i feel i cant judge quite yet is the poe trolls. I cant see ****.

Skyrim has a special place in my heart, as does all TES games, but i never liked the trolls very much. They just looked too much like goblins overgrown with moss. Trolls are supposed to be enormous and inspire fear. Then again, I'm Scandinavian, so I'm a bit biased about my trolls.

Edited by Gyges

Around the time of the trailer I wanted to leave this topic to the more interested, but here is a clarification of terms:

I think we would agree that troll-implementation is usually not much to speak of and that criticizing PE-trolls for their difference to expectations (as I understood it) is not a criterion for the quality of them as an encounter or for their lasting impression on the player.

I disagree. If this was about estetics and assumed nature of some playable 'established' high fantasy trope, i think this thread would get much more passionate followers.

As for expectations, backing the game, evryone saw concept arts and listened to devs so they get to 'feel' and visualise first impression. Whn game got funded, it did not stop fans to make threads with thousands posts about armor, weapons, portraits, outdoors areas, races and generally estetic choices for just some of things I mentioned. How those choices affect nature of the world, interaction, etc. I dont see how this is much different?

"Expectation" is a very open word, but you objected to the more approximate "familiar", and so I took this objection, and interpreted as a productive open-mindedness about the "best" troll-implementation for the project. It is also not directed "against" expectations, but it's simply not taking it as the determining factor. This is only reasonable in the light that the game will necessarily (i.e. if it is any good) deviate in some ways from some expectations, though it may still use the evocation of those expectations as a factor in order to make the result effective. On any topic, the discussion will also have to take into account the different requirements and style of this project or any particular aspect, even while promoting some prefered or familiar approach. Because of this there is no inherent "betterness" rather a striking, unfavourable contrast to any stark or simplistic stereotypes, nor is it wished for that the creations will be too simple in the lore of the world. This conforms to what you were saying towards the end of your last post.

Edited by MattH

"Expectation" is a very open word, but you objected to the more approximate "familiar", and so I took this objection, and interpreted as a productive open-mindedness about the "best" troll-implementation for the project. It is also not directed "against" expectations, but it's simply not taking it as the determining factor. This is only reasonable in the light that the game will necessarily (i.e. if it is any good) deviate in some ways from some expectations, though it may still use the evocation of those expectations as a factor in order to make the result effective. On any topic, the discussion will also have to take into account the different requirements and style of this project or any particular aspect, even while promoting some prefered or familiar approach. Because of this there is no inherent "betterness" rather a striking, unfavourable contrast to any stark or simplistic stereotypes, nor is it wished for that the creations will be too simple in the lore of the world. This conforms to what you were saying towards the end of your last post.

Your dissection of  "expectation" or what you assume that I meant by it without understanding the context that *I* used it in is flawed. For the context, as mentioned previously I would direct you to some of the threads about armor and weapons design that i mentioned and why I argue design and it possible implications. You on other hand without understanding what I am refering to enter realm of useless semantics. Going around was always faster. 

"Familiar"...I was being littlebit ironic. Lephys discussed some time that established lore is not good argument to be used against current design. His opinion/arguments there is not really right or bad design according to lore (mostly for most fantasy beings) as he belives lore itself is vague and open for lot of artistic freedom. So it comes down to IMO arguments, yes?  So again...CONTEXT to previous discussions.

I thought you implied that Troll discussion is not much to speak of and that their implementation (current design) will not have lasting impression on player for troll encounter? Did I misunderstand? If so, sorry. If not, I still disagree. Imo it depends on the player, true? 

Edited by Tauron

magic021.jpg

I basically meant that there are many different concepts or gameplay even behind the troll designs offered in this thread, and that some of them are simply trashmob, and that just because some of them seem very trollish to someone it doesn't mean they are the cream of the crop. You can discuss design without taking interpretations of the concept behind it as fact or dogma. I think critical interpretations of these designs tend to be of an overly-simplistic kind, implying that there was little thought put into them or that the thought is entirely invalid. However, they may not be finalised and still be adjusted, and the fact that they're slightly different at least seems to speak of that there was some thought put into them, as opposed to being just filler (albeit visually poignant filler).

Edited by MattH

It remains to be seen. I hope I am wrong. If I am right, I dont think abomination of horned, toad faced trolls will ruin my overall ingame experience. I hated xvarts, but still love BG.

Some ingame lore might be good. Fun idea...devs posting some concept art or finalised models backed by relevant ingame lore. Maybe Trolls get on that list. Until I know more, I stand by what I have posted...based on what I have seen, backed by past experience etc.

magic021.jpg

I think all that I wanted to say  was said already by people before me. Personally I really don't care about design of one monster, and I never really liked that fantasy creature  needs to be familiar to be called by certain name. For the moment I am perefectly fine with PoE trolls it's slighlt diffrent from the norm that doesn't mean that it is not troll . I really like TES design of troll despite the fact that is essentially three eyed ape despite that I woudn't like to have it in PoE why? Because it fits in to the setting , and I think this tends to be more important then familiarity and that applies not only to trolls but to  monsteres , armors and so on.

Having said that I really need to say that I think that the poll could be structure a little better.

What's the point of having NwN 1, 2 and BG separetley if they all are based on one desigin of DnD troll , heck even Warcraft troll is kind of based on DnD troll. It would be much better to just have DnD troll, Earth like troll, and diffrent troll( post example).

And because everone posts a troll so I post Drakensang / the dark eye troll

Drakensang-The-River-of-Time%20185709,3.